Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (49 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Del Piero Blames Pitch For Bad Miss
Italy forward Alessandro Del Piero has blamed the pitch for his glaring miss during the disappointing friendly draw against Austria last night.

The Azzurri took on Euro 2008 co-hosts Austria in Nice in what was Marcello Lippi’s first game back in charge of La Nazionale.

However, it was not a fairytale return for Lippi, as Karel Bruckner’s men raced into a shock 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Emanuel Pogatetz and Mark Janko.

Italy fought back to earn a 2-2 draw courtesy of two comical own goals, even if one of these was eventually awarded to Alberto Gilardino, however they could have won the match had Del Piero stuck away a golden opportunity on 53 minutes.

The Juventus frontman beat the offside trap, but with just the 'keeper to beat he curled his effort wide in what was a similar situation to the chance he stuck away against Germany in the 2006 World Cup semi final.

Del Piero was a major disappointment last night, but still received a standing ovation when he was substituted, and he has blamed the playing surface for this missed chance.

"I was delighted with applause of the crowd when I was substituted,” said the 33-year-old.

“It is a good time for me at the moment. That is why I believe that the chance I missed was not my fault but due to the pitch.

“Aside from the jokes, it was not an easy game for us attackers. Austria closed up the space. The position I play is not a problem because when it comes to the national team you must marry a project."

tibike

Dec 11, 2007
Del Piero Blames Pitch For Bad Miss
Italy forward Alessandro Del Piero has blamed the pitch for his glaring miss during the disappointing friendly draw against Austria last night.

The Azzurri took on Euro 2008 co-hosts Austria in Nice in what was Marcello Lippi’s first game back in charge of La Nazionale.

However, it was not a fairytale return for Lippi, as Karel Bruckner’s men raced into a shock 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Emanuel Pogatetz and Mark Janko.

Italy fought back to earn a 2-2 draw courtesy of two comical own goals, even if one of these was eventually awarded to Alberto Gilardino, however they could have won the match had Del Piero stuck away a golden opportunity on 53 minutes.

The Juventus frontman beat the offside trap, but with just the 'keeper to beat he curled his effort wide in what was a similar situation to the chance he stuck away against Germany in the 2006 World Cup semi final.

Del Piero was a major disappointment last night, but still received a standing ovation when he was substituted, and he has blamed the playing surface for this missed chance.

"I was delighted with applause of the crowd when I was substituted,” said the 33-year-old.

“It is a good time for me at the moment. That is why I believe that the chance I missed was not my fault but due to the pitch.

“Aside from the jokes, it was not an easy game for us attackers. Austria closed up the space. The position I play is not a problem because when it comes to the national team you must marry a project."
I love to bolded sentence and I also love how the media took his joke literally. Could they be even more biased?

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I'm actually fed up with these media and press talk. I've been listening to the same shit since years now, it doesn't matter how he'll performe they'll alway have something negative to say about him.

Jun 13, 2007
I'm very surprised at what goal.com had to say about the game. I watched the game and Ale was actually one of the better players of the game. He had some great touches and was by far the most inventive player on the pitch.

He had one bad miss and a misplaced cross, other than that he did rather well.
I wasn't surprised at the standing ovation at all, he treated the game the way it should have been treated, lightly. He focused on playing nice back heels to his teammates rather than try to win the game.

Those goal.com dickheads will never stop critisizing the guy for some reason.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
They do it for sensasationalist reasons, its defacto attention grabbing to flame him for the NT, they cant be that blind to really mean it. He was decent/ok like many of the players. Only really poor one in my eyes was Pirlo, and at times Gila with his clownish ways.

Aug 1, 2003
del piero would never be those kind of players who 'blames the pitch' for the miss, he's way too classy for that. at least the guy has a sense of humour, i loved the interview I saw when he said if Lippi didn't take him to the 06 WC he'd sink his boat :lol:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
was he really applauded??? i didnt watch the game??
It's becoming a usual thing for Ale now ;)

del piero would never be those kind of players who 'blames the pitch' for the miss, he's way too classy for that. at least the guy has a sense of humour, i loved the interview I saw when he said if Lippi didn't take him to the 06 WC he'd sink his boat :lol:
and that he would scratch on his car "Lippi is gay" :D

Gazzo

Jul 9, 2007
The first pic really does sum up the situation.. Nedved looking on, Buffon and Ale having a great time, Seba curiously watching the game, Marchionni with his arms crossed and well then ofcourse their's Tiago down in the dumps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)