Iago Falqué (7 Viewers)

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
Say what you want about Ranieri's qualities as a manager but he certainly is a great team builder. Cuper took over at Valencia and took them to consecutive CL finals, and Mourinho took over at Chelsea - comments superfluous.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
So he's a great team builder. If you're a manager, what's the point of building a team if you can't win anything with it? You're just going to be replaced by somebody who can win.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
You're letting the pessimistic side of you take over. You manage to turn one of his positive qualities into a negative one, and I agree with you on that point. I am not here to defend him.

This makes about as much sense as criticizing a full back for not going forward, only to criticize him for leaving space behind when he finally does get up.

Praise where praise is due.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
So he's a great team builder. If you're a manager, what's the point of building a team if you can't win anything with it? You're just going to be replaced by somebody who can win.
Maybe he loves being the unsung hero all the time, seeing as he makes a shitload of money and is, for the most part, set for life.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You're letting the pessimistic side of you take over. You manage to turn one of his positive qualities into a negative one, and I agree with you on that point. I am not here to defend him.

This makes about as much sense as criticizing a full back for not going forward, only to criticize him for leaving space behind when he finally does get up.

Praise where praise is due.
Here we go again with the pessimist label, like I'm some sort of vTerrorist or something.

So okay, you're right. Ranieri might be a good squad builder. Are we going to replace him once he builds the squad, or are we going to keep him so he can keep building and building the squad more and more?

I just find this stuff a wee bit ridiculous. If he's good with youth, good with building squads, then give him a job in the head office or something. Not on the football pitch where we have to conjure up excuses every other week for some of our performances and ridiculous errors.

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
My point is that Ranieri's approval of Iago gives me faith in the kid, since there aren't many other managers who are as proven team builders and who are as good in giving youngsters a shot. One of the reasons he made such a good job with Parma is their abundance of talented youth, who Ranieri found a place for and created a winning team with.

He deserves praise for this, and the fact that he does seem a bit out of place in a big team otherwise is another story which I am sure we both have the same opinion of. No reason to repeat it once again when he is given praise.

The reason I called you a pessimist? It's as if you already have your mind set on the fact that Ranieri is bad. Even when there's something positive, there will still be people who'll somehow turn it into a fault instead of weighing them both side by side.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
My point is that Ranieri's approval of Iago gives me faith in the kid, since there aren't many other managers who are as proven team builders and who are as good in giving youngsters a shot. One of the reasons he made such a good job with Parma is their abundance of talented youth, who Ranieri found a place for and created a winning team with.

He deserves praise for this, and the fact that he does seem a bit out of place in a big team otherwise is another story which I am sure we both have the same opinion of. No reason to repeat it once again when he is given praise.

The reason I called you a pessimist? It's as if you already have your mind set on the fact that Ranieri is bad. Even when there's something positive, there will still be people who'll somehow turn it into a fault instead of weighing them both side by side.
But you see, we are labeling Ranieri as a good team builder instead of a good manager. While what you say about him is true, it's almost like a "close, but no cigar" sort of way to think about a manager. While these things are nice little subsets of skills, I still feel that the most important facet in management is indeed managing. So, if it was me and I was only a good squad builder and not necessarily a good manager, I don't know how happy I'd be with that.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
May be for Juventus, that aint so bad no? Regardless of whether we ein or not with C ranieri at the helm, at least the squad is progressing and developing.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

But you see, we are labeling Ranieri as a good team builder instead of a good manager. While what you say about him is true, it's almost like a "close, but no cigar" sort of way to think about a manager. While these things are nice little subsets of skills, I still feel that the most important facet in management is indeed managing. So, if it was me and I was only a good squad builder and not necessarily a good manager, I don't know how happy I'd be with that.
Sadomin's correct, he's just taking some good out of the bad, that's all.

We all know Ranieri is not gonna get us the CL or the Scudetto but since we're stuck with him for this season, possibly the next as well, it's at least a little reassuring to know he's gonna leave a good foundation behind him. It happened with Valencia, it happened with Chelsea, who knows it may happen with us. Everyone would prefer somoene who gives results, except our board obviously, but like I said, we're stuck with him, so might as well look on the only positive side there is. That's why I'm pleased we signed this no-name kid, because who knows?

Sep 28, 2002
Ranieri bought these players to Chelsea:

John Terry was 19 in 2000
Petr Cech was 22 in 2004 (Ranieri's last season at Chelsea)
Arjen Robben was 20 in 2004 (Ranieri's last season at Chelsea)
William Gallas was 24 when Ranieri brought him to Chelseas
Frank Lampard was 22
Eidur Gudjohnsen was 21
terry is from chelseas youth team, he's with the club since 14 i believe so take that one out.

edit. and even i knew cech, lampard and robben before they came to chelsea.

Amaurisimo

Dec 8, 2007
well CR was first who started playing Terry, so stick him back to list ;)

He also discovered Zola and few other players at different clubs

PS. many of us knew other players as well, which doesnt make us good at spotting youngsters.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
I don't know if this kid is good but he must have the potential to be good
it is up to Juve now and a little bit of luck what kind of player he will turn out to be
this kid is far from finished player we can still mould him and with the proper guidance we could have an excellent player if not then he will be a decent Sienna player

Geof

May 14, 2004
The main point of this transfer is not whether this Iago kid is good or not. He doesn't cost a lot, so who cares if he doesn't succeed.

IMO, the main point of those kind of deals is to send out a clear message: that we care about young players and that we are dedicated to integrate them in our team. This can only help us sign the more talented youngsters of Europe, a bit like Arsenal did in the past years.

As we've seen with the last ditch transfers of the past few days, there's no way we can compete to buy world class players such as Robinho, Berbatov and whatnot. So concentrating on the youth market seems like a good plan. But that shouldn't stop us from buying, say, one world class player a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)