how good is Christian Abbiati? (4 Viewers)

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Abbiati's performances for us, with the exception of one game vs bayern, were top-class though and I really appreciated his efforts for us. There may be better choise, but IF Buffon really has to go and we get enough money; I would not be all too much opposed to Abbiati.
have you watched any Torino games this season ??

Buy on AliExpress.com

curi83

Aug 9, 2006
He is crap - He is not Juve Material. Before Abbiati will replace Buffon i would let play Mirante or Bonnefoi. But perhaps Real will buy 30 Mil+ Casillas and Robinho. That would be a dream

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
On a normal day,Abbiati is good keeper.Nothing world class.But he was great for us.But still,i wouldnt like him at Juventus again because i dont think he's someone who can install confidence in the entire team,which is something that a great keeper should be able to do.He's prone to the occasionaly howler here and there,and to me he's another version of Dida playing at a lesser club.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
Midzata™;1326699 said:
He is terrific. Kixer!!!
When he was at Juve he played good, but in Milan's & Torino's jersey is sh*t.
I don't want him at Juventus.
Kixer?! :rofl:

I want peter cech..:)
I want Kaka. :)

Remind me why we should go for Gilardino? He sucks.
:agree:

mirante is the man to step up to gigi. not frey not amelia juve have produced fantastic italian gks and mirante is the next in line, i dont want a foreign gk nor one that is more overhyped than inter's chances of the scudetto next season
Mirante is overhyped.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

On a normal day,Abbiati is good keeper.Nothing world class.But he was great for us.But still,i wouldnt like him at Juventus again because i dont think he's someone who can install confidence in the entire team,which is something that a great keeper should be able to do.He's prone to the occasionaly howler here and there,and to me he's another version of Dida playing at a lesser club.
My thoughts exactly. A keeper must fill his defenders with confidence. Abbiati is good, he has good reflexes, he can make those unbelieveable saves every now and then, but he can also blunder just as much. He's unreliable in air and too many times has decided to go box a ball away, one which he should have cought with his arms. He simply doesn't have that security in himself, that commanding effect, the thing that makes a keeper great.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
on a good day, hes just a good keeper

like you said hes the kind of keeper that doesn't give his defenders the kind of confidence that would remotely resemble Gigi's

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I think you can tell the confidence bit by Abbiati's body language too.Buffon always looks positive,even when he's having an off day.Abbiati's body language isnt positive even when he's making great saves.

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
I think you can tell the confidence bit by Abbiati's body language too.Buffon always looks positive,even when he's having an off day.Abbiati's body language isnt positive even when he's making great saves.
True :agree: I have never seen Buffon nervous or angry, even in the hardest moments...and IMO thats what gives his teammates a great push and confidence

Jul 28, 2002
If we have to replace Buffon, it has to be of a goal keeper with either the experience or potential to replace Gigi long term.

Abbiati isnt that man imho, merely a stop gap.

We need an italian goalie, and that would have to unfortunately be Amelia....but id take the risk on Mirante over wasting our time on Cassialas

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I really don't understand why do we need an Italian gk, ofcourse that would be nice but are you ready to have an average Italian gk rather than good non-italian gk. I really don't understand, for me it's important to have a good goalkeeper no matter on nationality...

Mar 30, 2006
I really don't understand why do we need an Italian gk, ofcourse that would be nice but are you ready to have an average Italian gk rather than good non-italian gk. I really don't understand, for me it's important to have a good goalkeeper no matter on nationality...
yeah i agree.

but there are several Italian goalies who are good.

and Abbiati is not very calming but he played well for us when he was here and showed he has the talent.

I like Cudicini and he would not be too expensive .. Amelia and roma are options too

for international goalies Sebastian Vieira would be great. or the celtic goalie i guess.

The celtic goalie is polish so he would not take up a non eu spot too so i don't see much difference between him and a good italian keeper.

no one comes close to gigi so we have to get the best possible option.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
when abbiati played for us he had a mean defence in front of him! Cannavaro, Thuram, Zambrotta and Zebina, which is quite a good defence!

Mar 30, 2006
when abbiati played for us he had a mean defence in front of him! Cannavaro, Thuram, Zambrotta and Zebina, which is quite a good defence!

true but he made his share of saves and while he made mistakes I don't think he deserved all the bashing he gets. he is humble and seems like a nice guy who is a good keeper when on form and given a lengthy run in the team.

Buffon makes him look like he has downsyndrom ok ... but Gigi can do that to anyone

Jul 28, 2002
In our history we have always had italian goalies, VDS was an exception who was also ultimately a failure.

Its tradition, which i believe should be kept.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)