How big a Juventus legend is Roberto Baggio? (1 Viewer)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
I never saw him play at Juventus becasue i was too young at the time,and the bit ive seen of him as a Juventus player is through old videos.I look at this Juventus record,and it is brilliant,and when you add to the fact that he won 2 major Individual honours at the club,i think it wouldnt be wrong to say that he enjoyed the best spell of his career,in footballing terms,at Juventus.

His skill was unquestionable,and he was probably the best player at the club during his time.My questions is not about his skill however.Its about his loyalty to his the club.I dont know how much of this is accurate,but this is what ive heard and read :

1.He wanted to join Milan after his departure from Fiorentina,and not Juventus.His agent sealed the move to Juventus without his knowledge.
2.He was not happy to be at Juventus.
3.In a game against Fiorentina for Juventus,he refused to take a penalty and later wrapped a Fiorentina flag around himself after the game.
4.Instead of celebrating with the Juventus supporters,he went to the Fiorentina faithful instead.

Assuming that the things ive mentioned above are true,how big is his contribution to Juventus keeping loyalty in mind?Does he deserve to be called a Juventus legend if his heart was not at the club?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
I never saw him play at Juventus becasue i was too young at the time,and the bit ive seen of him as a Juventus player is through old videos.I look at this Juventus record,and it is brilliant,and when you add to the fact that he won 2 major Individual honours at the club,i think it wouldnt be wrong to say that he enjoyed the best spell of his career,in footballing terms,at Juventus.

His skill was unquestionable,and he was probably the best player at the club during his time.My questions is not about his skill however.Its about his loyalty to his the club.I dont know how much of this is accurate,but this is what ive heard and read :

1.He wanted to join Milan after his departure from Fiorentina,and not Juventus.His agent sealed the move to Juventus without his knowledge.
2.He was not happy to be at Juventus.
3.In a game against Fiorentina for Juventus,he refused to take a penalty and later wrapped a Fiorentina flag around himself after the game.
4.Instead of celebrating with the Juventus supporters,he went to the Fiorentina faithful instead.

Assuming that the things ive mentioned above are true,how big is his contribution to Juventus keeping loyalty in mind?Does he deserve to be called a Juventus legend if his heart was not at the club?

Fiorentina may have been his favoured team but when he played he always gave his all. at least of what i remember

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Fiorentina may have been his favoured team but when he played he always gave his all. at least of what i remember
this is a very good answer! most of people are assholes, they want the players to behave like robots, Baggio maybe a bad person (which I dont give a damn), but he certainly gave us what we expected from him, it's not his fault of the "wrong" transfer, we never know what happened exactly.

for me he always was a Juve Legend an6d always be, as for football in general, he was another God..

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
i too didnt live to see baggio's peak but i wudnt judge him cuz he was at fiorentina, di livio and toricelli went there aswell, and to me they too played with their heart for their employers and will always be associated as amongst the best

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
He was a fan favourite at Fiorentina.
He was another star to wear Milan and Inter jersey.
He was a hero at Brescia and Bologna.
Now at Juventus he was a legend and all of the above.
So you're welcome, Robby ;) Come again...

maxi

Aug 31, 2006
BIIIIG Baggio fan here. Followed his whole career, so you can guess my age - unbelieveable talent on the field - like DP pre-1998 injury - every time he played. If he didnt move on to Milan, for financial reasons (the club cut his salary), and he stayed playing first team football at Juve, I honestly think he would have gone on to Pele, Maradona levels in world football. I wouldnt say something like this lightly, watching him play was watching an artist at work. We miss you, Robi!

Jul 23, 2006
he is a juventus legend
the fact that he won a world player of the year award with us showed that he played to his full potential when with juve

ps: welcome back elvin!

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
He's not a Juve legend in any way shape or form... A disgrace to our shirt
I heard you repeat this a lot Paul, may I ask what are the events or behaviors that helped you arrive to this conclusion. Back in those days people living outside of Europe didn't know much about anything except a couple of matches aired every now and then...Baggio what made me love Juve. But other than his Magic on the pitch I didn't know much...

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Back in those days people living outside of Europe didn't know much about anything except a couple of matches aired every now and then...Baggio what made me love Juve. But other than his Magic on the pitch I didn't know much...
:agree: me too!

He was a fan favourite at Fiorentina.
He was another star to wear Milan and Inter jersey.
He was a hero at Brescia and Bologna.
Now at Juventus he was a legend and all of the above.
So you're welcome, Robby ;) Come again...
:agree: He was popular at Fiorentina, Juve, Brescia & Bologna because he always played to the best of his ability, no matter what team he was in. He left Juve under a cloud due to falling out with the coach. He was probably the ONLY interesti I've ever liked. (When he moved to Milan, he confessed to supporting inter since a child).

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
I heard you repeat this a lot Paul, may I ask what are the events or behaviors that helped you arrive to this conclusion. Back in those days people living outside of Europe didn't know much about anything except a couple of matches aired every now and then...Baggio what made me love Juve. But other than his Magic on the pitch I didn't know much...
Hey, its just my opinion based on numerous occasions he has disrespected our team... Its not for me to trudge through and try to change your mind... If he indeed is why you are here then for you he did something right... and that shouldnt be changed...

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
Hey, its just my opinion based on numerous occasions he has disrespected our team... Its not for me to trudge through and try to change your mind... If he indeed is why you are here then for you he did something right... and that shouldnt be changed...
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was just seeking to understand that era, and why some consider Baggio a traitor. Other than his performance on the pitch, we in Saudi Arabia didn't know much. Whereas in these days everything reaches us. So I am just asking what are these occasions of disrespect? It's not that I am challenging you or arguing, I just wanna understand :)

Boksic

May 11, 2005
the reason i started supporting Juventus, an absolute legend. But he left at the right time to make way for an even bigger legend

Jul 5, 2005
I still remember his lost penalty agains brazil. And the good for him is that he walked away easy from that and continued his glorify carrer. For Juve i think that he is legend but not big because he didn't remain to the team so many years like others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)