How big a Juventus legend is Roberto Baggio? (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2002
Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was just seeking to understand that era, and why some consider Baggio a traitor. Other than his performance on the pitch, we in Saudi Arabia didn't know much. Whereas in these days everything reaches us. So I am just asking what are these occasions of disrespect? It's not that I am challenging you or arguing, I just wanna understand :)
no more reasons needed

3.In a game against Fiorentina for Juventus,he refused to take a penalty and later wrapped a Fiorentina flag around himself after the game.
4.Instead of celebrating with the Juventus supporters,he went to the Fiorentina faithful instead.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
He's not a Juve legend in any way shape or form... A disgrace to our shirt

You are Joking!? :disagree:

Baggio gave is all just look back at his performances he played for us. I dont care who he supported who he wanted to play for. He was our player and he respected that with brilliant performances from what i remember anyway. He even won world player of the year if im not mistaken. But then came the Master in the name of Alessandro Del-Piero, who was and still is the greatest Juventino ever to wear our shirt.:smoke:

Forza Ale! :agree:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
He's not a Juve legend in any way shape or form... A disgrace to our shirt
I don't think he's a Juventus legend either, but calling him a disgrace goes a bit too far to me. Like many others I started following Juventus ever since Baggio was here (although I must admit I have only been supporting the team after Baggio had already left). He gave us some great performances and I don't think we could accuse him of not giving his all for the club. He might have liked other teams better and surely didn't stick around too long, which are the two reasons why he can never be considered a legend, but he wasn't a disgrace.

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #24
    I think Baggio's ciritcism comes from the loyalty bit.His skill cant be questioned IMO.

Btw,who was the team captain when he refused to take that penalty against Fiorentina?and was Baggio fined or something later?

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    I respect Baggio and all, but that guy had the most boring celebrations of all times. Sometimes he didn't even do anything and stood there like an arrogant prick :D

Forza Baggio !!!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Roberto Baggio is kind of between a Fabio Cannavaro and a Lilian Thuram for Juventus to me. Perhaps not as bad as Mr. Control Ya Arms though. Baggio is certainly no Juventus legend in my opinion at least.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    True but if we Juve fans can call him our club's legend, then I say no other club can either. And that totally makes sense.

Oct 3, 2004
    He is also the reason why I support the club.

Roberto Baggio's fallout for me was the most heartbreaking thing ever, and seeing him make his Milan debut vs. Standard Liege in a friendly was the most sickening sight ever.

Thankfully there was a Del Piero there to bring in a new inspiration to the club and its supporters.

To be honest, I never heard of these Roberto Baggio stories (like wrapping himself around with a purple flag etc.)...all I know is that riots broke out in Florence when he signed for us. Then again rioting isn't new to Fiorentina fans - they cut the head off the Batistuta statue when he joined Roma :howler: I wonder what they'll do if Luca Toni leaves them :D

Anyway, if the Baggio stories are true or not, it will never change my mind on what a great footballer and sportsman he was. His abilities inspired all football fans around the world, and I am proud that he wore the Juve shirt and scored wonder goals for us in the past.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    Ah, I don't care about the Fiorentina scarf. It could be worse I suppose...at least he doesn't shove hamsters up his ass.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Baggio is the best Italian Player of all time!! and the 2nd best player after Zidane to wear the Juve jersey. probably the most under-rated player of all time.

Ascension

Sep 16, 2005
    Roberto Baggio was an extremely talented player, but he is no where close to reaching my top 15 with players like Ronaldo (the Brazilian), Nesta, and so on.

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
    Aug 1, 2002
    Baggio was also the reason I became a Juve and Italy fan, when i was 12 i had the ponytail. He was my idol.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
    When i started watching italian football i must have been about 5-6 and as a juventus supporter Baggio was the symbol of that team for me. I used to watch football italia every sunday, it was like a ritual, forget church, forget breakfast, watch Juve and Baggio. His performances were magnificent every game he played, he gave 100% and inspired me. At the time i couldn't care less about the politics, hell i didnt even know what the word meant but Baggio in a way was my idol and to this day he remains one of them. Sure i heard of the politics later and if i had been a little older at the time maybe he wouldn't have meant as much to me as he did and he did to so many other young juventino's around the world. Juventus legends differ from person to person, but Baggio is one of mine.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
    ^ You see, all Juve supporters who started with Baggio really appreciate him, the same will be heard from Juve supporters in about 2-3 seasons after Del Piero retires. The difference is this time all the comments will be positive and appreciationful.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
    May 27, 2007
    To Salman, Apropos & others who missed out on Roby Baggio. He will ALWAYS be amongst my alltime fave players. I'm one of the lucky ones ...I have had cable & satellite tv since 1989 & started watching Il Divino Codino towards the end of his time at La Viola. Roby did settle in at Juve and believe me, I remember some breathtaking performances by him...but at the end, acting on Il Trap's advice that the then young Del Piero be played to develop his potential, the Juve board decided it was good business to sell Roby on for a good price and also save on wages since Alex was getting a lot less then! Baggio's career was never the same after that as he suffered a number of injuries and changed clubs several times till he finally retired, but he was one of the main reasons that the young Ronaldo came to Inter, highly enthusiastic about playing alongside Roby, which unfortunately rarely happened because of Roby's injuries. Just to touch on the subject of the rivalry between Juve & La Viola, I'm older than a number of you, & I remember the Fiorentina fans rioting in downtown Firenze when news of Baggio's transfer to Juve broke. That certainly made things worse, but trust me, the hate was always there amongst the troublemakers, just as it always has been with Inter & I Granata...& let's not forget, in addition to Inter we've got the derby games to come this season with Torino...I don't hate Toro, I Granata, but I sure as hell wanna see Juve give them a stuffing! A final word on Roby...did you know that he had a bad injury early on in his Playing career and he converted to Buddhism, swearing that the meditation and the power of faith saved his health and mind and he still to this day is a Buddhist...strange that he loves to vacation in Argentina where he and his favourite gun go hunting....! Carlo D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)