How Are You All So Good At English?! (1 Viewer)

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
English is the official second language in this country and I've lived in Britain for a while.

FACT: every tv-show, movie or whatever in Holland is subtitled. So Dutch people become familiar with the sounds and tones of the English language from the very moment they're born.

It helps a lot, countries where everything is dubbed traditionally have a population that doesn't speak English very well, or with a HUGE accent.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #22
    ++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++

It helps a lot, countries where everything is dubbed traditionally have a population that doesn't speak English very well, or with a HUGE accent.
    So true, I remember when I went to visit my relo's in Korea, I had to watch movies like Jurassic Park in Korean...The Simpsons just gets totally ruined too. Oh the cheesy voices they have over there *rips hair out*

Ali

Conditioned
    Contributor
    Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    my only achievement English-wise (since i live in an english-speaking country) was scoring 94/100 for my university entrance exam :stuckup:
    It could be worse Gray so quit mourning
    :D

Erik long time ... Good to see you :) Everything alright?
    BTW do you speak English with an accent?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    ++ [ originally posted by DaJuve ] ++
    Erik long time ... Good to see you :) Everything alright?
    BTW do you speak English with an accent?
    A Leicester accent ... when I went to London people laughed at me :(
    Works in Holland though - my English teachers love me :D

Nice to see you again too! How are you nowadays?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    FACT: every tv-show, movie or whatever in Holland is subtitled. So Dutch people become familiar with the sounds and tones of the English language from the very moment they're born.
    Ditto for Norway. I DESPISE dubbing! :fero:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Me too! The voices are all wrong, the lips don't move according to what is said ... uuugh! Don't understand how ANYONE could watch dubbed series or movies!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Actually my idea of dubbing is far worse than that. It's one guy with a life sentence translating the dialogue while the original is running in the background at a low volume, obviously with no sense of purpose at all, the pitch of his voice doesn't change and it's like a really long yawn, it's like watching Liverpool. :wallbang:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Oh you mean the kind of dubbing they do on CNN when a foreign head of state is making a statement and you hear this foreign national with a huge accent in English desperately trying to translate on the spot and, in the same time, speak louder than his subject..!

Terrible! :yuck:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Oh you mean the kind of dubbing they do on CNN when a foreign head of state is making a statement and you hear this foreign national with a huge accent in English desperately trying to translate on the spot and, in the same time, speak louder than his subject..!

Yeah sorta like that.. it stinks. Only imagine having only that always.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    Hey, I'd imagine Asian languages sound worse when dubbed over English... Simpsons was bad enough in Korean, I'd hate to watch any sitcoms.. :scared: the jokes they'd ruin... :scared:

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    well,
    i am born in greece where the school system as consern at least the foreigh language learning sucks....

so everyone goes to extra english lessons....

the first english....were mom-learned....
    she is english teacher so she tought me some english...
    then,5 years ago i went to extra lessons and since now i have taken the lower and now on desembre i am giving the advance ( i wish i'll pass!! )
    i don't know if i know english enough but i am trying..!!!!

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Actually my idea of dubbing is far worse than that. It's one guy with a life sentence translating the dialogue while the original is running in the background at a low volume, obviously with no sense of purpose at all, the pitch of his voice doesn't change and it's like a really long yawn, it's like watching Liverpool. :wallbang:
    We have almost all movies, programms with that :D
    That's why I cant learn from them :groan:

But this is not called "dubbing", it's a movie with reader, just like that :)

And I hate dubbing so much :fero: that I prefer movie with reader to dubbing.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++

That's what I was talking about ;)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #37

isn't that what he meant?

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

It's not quite like this, cause here: the Polish text is prepared earlier, so there is no live desperate translation.
    It's just Polish, and in the background: foreign language.
    Someone who is used to that, completely dont hear the background.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #39
    This reminds me of the teletext function on my tv. It's useful a lot of the time when you wanna hear what's going on and you've got a really noisy family. Sometimes, though, when they're trying to write the captions live (on the news, for example) you can just picture the poor interns typing away at their little computers, not being able to keep up with the newsreaders and failing to type every second word :LOL: it's so ridiculous...

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    It's not quite like this, cause here: the Polish text is prepared earlier, so there is no live desperate translation.
    It's just Polish, and in the background: foreign language.
    Someone who is used to that, completely dont hear the background.
    Obviously it's not done live, duh :D Effect is the same though - foreign language on the background, two languages through one another ... yuck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)