Henry, Zidane & Ronaldo Nominated For Top Award (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2003
11/26/2003. Yet again this year the majority of football supporters across the globe have been left scratching their heads at the nominations for the World Player of the Year.

The trio up for selection have been revealed today as Ronaldo, Zinedine Zidane and Thierry Henry..... (I'll give you a few minutes to look at those names again)..... and yes you did read it right first time, the name of Czech Republic midfielder Pavel Nedved is not there!

Surely some mistake I can hear you say? But no, the wisdom of 142 national managers have selected Ronaldo ahead of the Juventus midfielder and for that matter AC Milan's living legend Paolo Maldini.

The decision is simply baffling as you've told us in your droves on our message board and on our poll, which is emphatically in favour of Nedved rather than the goofy Brazilian, who won the award last year, as well as in 1996 and 1997.

Lets take a look at the evidence to explain just why this is a travesty:

Nedved inspired Juventus to the Scudetto this year and also to the Champions League final, which he consequently missed through suspension, and it was clearly the biggest factor, along with Dida's penalty saving, why Juve didn't lift the trophy.

It doesn't end there as Nedved also played a key role in the Czech Republic's superb achievement in topping their Euro 2004 qualification group ahead of the Netherlands.

So what does Ronaldo have to offer in comparison? Well, I'm not suggesting he's had a bad year, but he hasn't been electric for Real Madrid or Brazil in 2003. Admittedly he played a large part in Real's La Liga success, although many would say that was fortunate and undeserved.

Meanwhile, in the Champions League, Ronaldo's Real were outclassed by Nedved's Juve in their semi-final defeat, although the Brazilian missed the second leg through injury.

While there are many calls for Maldini to be included in the running for this honour there is also a strong case for the other two players up for the award. It is true that a number of the points against Ronaldo also apply to Zidane, but the midfielder was a much more consistent performer than his fellow Galactico, while he also helped to inspire France to a 100% record in their Euro 2004 group.

Few can question Zidane's name from being short-listed for any award as he is without question a genius and in my opinion is the best player of his generation, but his departure from Juventus two-years ago has hardly been noticed, thanks to that man Nedved.

There is no doubt in my mind that Thierry Henry's inclusion is a correct decision and of the three candidates he should now be crowned the winner when the award is dished out in Basle next month.

The French striker has outlined his class more than ever before in the past 12 months, even though he couldn't lead Arsenal to the Premiership title, or to success in the Champions League, up until Tuesday's imperious display against Inter Milan. However, at times he has looked like he's carrying a football club on his shoulders, while he was brilliant on the international scene and also led Arsenal to win the FA Cup.

I'm yet to hear anyone defend Ronaldo's inclusion, so who on this earth voted for him? The respective football federations of those managers among the 142 polled that named the former Barcelona and Inter Milan superstar should be rethinking their appointment, as the man in charge of their team clearly has some stardust in between his ears.

Ronaldo is a global phenomenon, as is the image of the Brazilian football team, so reputation has surely won the striker the majority of his votes rather than his performances, which if is the case makes this prize a joke and not worth the publicity as it is little more than a popularity contest.

www.soccerage.com

----

oh well, for once i agree. but between ronaldo, zizou and henry, i would give my vote to henry. i cant believe nedved was not nominated, but whaddahell, this year nedved's gonna bring juve to the treble and show fifa what they're missing! ;)

Jul 19, 2003
I think the part about Ronaldo missing the second leg is wrong. As I was reading the updates during that match, it said that he was substituted on the pitch and that he was the one that got Figo's penalty that was blocked by Buffon.

Anyway........out of the three mentioned, Henry definitely deserves it. He carries the whole Arsenal team on his back, and he's been doing hell of a job!!

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

but maldini's usual is unreachable for most of players.
Of course you are right in that point, but there are some players who played much better, then they do it usually, so they deserve such awards! ;)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
well said nonsubstitute.I just cant believe that ppl expect that henry and henry himself can carry arsenal to the CL and the EPL and the FA cup.How about thinking a bit?lets say why couldnt Nedved take Lazio to the CL?why couldnt Ronaldo take Barcelona to the CL?if you can answer these questions then you can answer why Henry cant do all that with Arsenal.

OP
JuveBoy

JuveBoy

Feb 4, 2003
  • Thread Starter #66
    Henry is a good player but he couldn't make it in Italy, where only macho players can make it. Henry played two years ago great games but in 2003 he wasn't that good, he couldn't shine in WC 2002, he couldn't shine in CL(except against Roma), he missed alot of chances in the League which cost Arsenal the title!

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    it is something no one can understand nonsubsitute so why bother trying

HENRY THE BEST PLAYER IN 2003 WHETHER ANYONE LIKES IT!!!!!!

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    Hello, nobody is saying that Henry shouldnt be in the top 3. What everyone here and the rest of the footballing world are baffled by is the fact that Ronaldo, and maybe even Zizou are in the top 3 list

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    lalaladida...eehehhe *whistles and walks away with a nervous smile*

;)

im just saying that we are more puzzled that Nedved isnt in and somebody like R9 is

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    i was sooo pissed off when i read the news....:fero::fero::fero:

what a bunch of f***ing idiots!! i can accept henry, just barely...but ronaldo and zizou...? y not throw wiltord on that list while they're at it! RVN is more deserving than ronnie IMO....

well, like nedved sed....who cares bout indiividual trophies!!

Aug 1, 2003
    whoa, fred, u really like henry huh? take it easy ;)
    but like i said, nedved's gonna make sure juve win the treble this season, so FIFA will see what they're missing..

okay so thats a tad bit over confident but who cares

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by fred weasley ] ++
    well you made it clear to me that in your opinion Giggs is better than Henry,meaning i dont understand what you mean that Henry deserves it.may i ask you one favour Majed i want you to be reasonable for a while if Giggs is better than Henry then how come you dont nominate giggs to get the best player in the year?:fero:
    I never nominated anyone to begin with.

I dont think i'm being unreasonable at all. i think it's you who's trying to jump to conclusions.

If you really want to start the Giggs discussion, then here we go again:

The Giggs vs. Henry comparision was in General and over their whole careers and a lot hsa to do with personal opinion. I Honestly think that Giggs is a better player because of his glorious long career with ManU. He also excells in so many positions on the pitch because he's very complete.

Giggs obviously has an advantege in my view because of his age. anyway,
    Please dont assume that i think Henry is Crap. not at all, i think he's "currently" one of the best in the world, and i also think that he has much to offer. if he stays in this current form consistantly for the next few years, he will surely surpass what Giggs has done and even Giggs fans like me can't deny that he's better.

There's also a major factor that helped boost Henry's career and put him in a bigger spotlight than Giggs: The Fact that he plays in an awesome national team with so many at his level. he's won so many trophies with france (where he wasn't even their main player) so he had an international spotlight.

It really depends on how you look at it. i'm pretty sure youo're looking at the comparison from another angle. your looking at current form only and even the crapy Player of the year awards.

When it comes to the Player of the Year, i think they're full of crap and it's nothing to go by. Although the prize is claimed to go to the best player from last season, it really doesn't do that. The voters take so many other considerations.

Ronaldo is mainly on that list because of last year's WC success. Players like Nihat, Kovacevic, Vieri, RVN, and Makaay scored more goals than him last season.

Zidane is also on the list because his great 1998 and 2000 and 2001 CL successes are still echoing in the minds of the voters.

Henry really lifted Arsenal last season and he socred so many (and many assists). He really deserves it. I'm Glad he's on the list despite the fact that Arsenal didn't win any major title.

ebraheej

Jul 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

Henry really lifted Arsenal last season and he socred so many (and many assists). He really deserves it. I'm Glad he's on the list despite the fact that Arsenal didn't win any major title.
    Yes!!!

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
    This is ridiculous. Just shows how naive most coaches are. This is an excellent example of how image alters your view of players. Without a doubt, Nedved deserves to be on that list, and that is a non-baised view. The three should be: Nedved, Maldini and the third i dont know ;)

But that list is honestly sad, humiliates the name of football. But yes, i agree, all three of those players are very good, but they have had better seasons.

Does conspiracy ring any bells??? Real Madrid, Brazil, France....

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
    :eek: i thought you were a juve fan :eek:
    I am,dont get me wrong but i'm also an arsenal fan.but i dont think predecting juve wont win the treble stops me from being a juve fan.

Aug 1, 2003
    :LOL: okay. i hate these image things- like, just because hes ronaldo and zidane he gets to swap all the awards and great players like nedved doesn't get the recognition. bloody hell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)