Help! Damn Facebook & Myspace (1 Viewer)

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Im in need of some help,there are about six staff members at my company that are ignoring my request to stop using social networking sites at work.Productivity has dropped & im getting quite a few annoyed clients calling because orders are not being executed on time.

Two are pregnant & the rest also have kids,so that's why i dont wanna fire them.Ive blocked facebook & myspace but they are using proxy server sites to by pass this.Im getting quite pissed off because ive invested a lot of time,training & company resources to train these ppl.

My IT guy is on holiday so im kinda stuck.Any suggestions for web and content filtering tools? One's that are fairly priced or better yet,FREE!:D

FYI Dusan,Dru & Tahir.I did not sleep with any of these woman neither did i donate sperm & im not a father,so save it because i know you three will bring that shit up.:D

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #3
    Fire them bitches, really.
    Please no need to imitate elvin,Vlatko.:D I know how addictive it can become but they are just going overboard & to find new staff + train them will take atleast another month.With the festive season around the corner,i cant afford that.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
    Im in need of some help,there are about six staff members at my company that are ignoring my request to stop using social networking sites at work.Productivity has dropped & im getting quite a few annoyed clients calling because orders are not being executed on time.

Two are pregnant & the rest also have kids,so that's why i dont wanna fire them.Ive blocked facebook & myspace but they are using proxy server sites to by pass this.Im getting quite pissed off because ive invested a lot of time,training & company resources to train these ppl.

My IT guy is on holiday so im kinda stuck.Any suggestions for web and content filtering tools? One's that are fairly priced or better yet,FREE!:D

FYI Dusan,Dru & Tahir.I did not sleep with any of these woman neither did i donate sperm & im not a father,so save it because i know you three will bring that shit up.:D
    Dude if you are paying these people to do a job and they arent doing it, fire them. Why should you have to go out of your way to stop them from wasting their time on your money, it makes no sence. It doesn't matter if they have kids, give them a final warning and fire them if they carry it on.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
    Or you could always do the friends thing, get one of your mates to come and work for you, and fire him for using social networking sites, that should learn them not to fuck with you.

OP
    Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #7
    icεmαή;2217920 said:
    How many sites do they need to access (bare minimum) to do the work they need to do?
    A lot actually,over 50+/- its because we have link between government,bog corporate & sme.Will that be a big issue.

Dude if you are paying these people to do a job and they arent doing it, fire them. Why should you have to go out of your way to stop them from wasting their time on your money, it makes no sence. It doesn't matter if they have kids, give them a final warning and fire them if they carry it on.
    Its not that easy,bro.These ppl need these jobs to survive & fend for their kids.I know what your saying but i dont want to create a bad vibe & working environment.

Also having access to web based emails & im's lead to viruses, spyware, malware and other malicious traffic.Also im just scared that somebody might bypass firewalls and filters and access unauthorized content.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
    Its not that easy,bro.These ppl need these jobs to survive & fend for their kids.I know what your saying but i dont want to create a bad vibe & working environment.
    It maybe worth reminding these people of that, you are the one with the power in this situation not them man. Of course i have no understanding of the office politics you have to deal with, but as an outsider....other than that i have no suggestion on the software front. Good luck,

Jan 30, 2009
    MY CV

BEE, bro i need a job and I dont fb or myspace but I mos def Juventuz thats a plus right cos the gamla is doing it ne?
    So when can I start?

OP
    Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #10
    It maybe worth reminding these people of that, you are the one with the power in this situation not them man. Of course i have no understanding of the office politics you have to deal with, but as an outsider....other than that i have no suggestion on the software front. Good luck,
    Trust me ruling with an iron fist does not work.Once they cant access it via pc they will just do it via cellphone.Once i block access via pc im going to have a staff meeting asap.

MY CV

BEE, bro i need a job and I dont fb or myspace but I mos def Juventuz thats a plus right cos the gamla is doing it ne?
    So when can I start?
    BEE? With the name Wynand? BEE my ass!:D

I can multi task thats why i do it.:D

On a serious note,if you're a quantity surveyor with a minimum of 5yrs exp,send me a pm.If not good luck trying to find a job from now until february.Retail is probably your best option.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    A lot actually,over 50+/- its because we have link between government,bog corporate & sme.Will that be a big issue.
    Na, it shouldn't. For a moment I was thinking about the stop gap arrangement of blocking all content except the ones required. Since the number of websites are large that wouldn't work.
    Anyways, as you already have a firewall, you would want a content filtering software. If your servers run on Unix, you could try DansGuardian. Its relatively cheap (around $100 if you buy the license) and should work for you. I'm not sure if there is an alternative for windows which is cheap.

Wait till Martin gets here, he might be able to give you a few more open source alternatives (or maybe even a completely different approach)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    icεmαή;2217950 said:
    Na, it shouldn't. For a moment I was thinking about the stop gap arrangement of blocking all content except the ones required. Since the number of websites are large that wouldn't work.
    Anyways, as you already have a firewall, you would want a content filtering software. If your servers run on Unix, you could try DansGuardian. Its relatively cheap (around $100 if you buy the license) and should work for you. I'm not sure if there is an alternative for windows which is cheap.

Wait till Martin gets here, he might be able to give you a few more open source alternatives (or maybe even a completely different approach)
    Never done anything like this but if all the nodes connect to the internet through a single gateway all you'd have to do is block outbound to those particular sites. If it's a linux or bsd router then I'm sure it already has a firewall running on it.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    Never done anything like this but if all the nodes connect to the internet through a single gateway all you'd have to do is block outbound to those particular sites. If it's a linux or bsd router then I'm sure it already has a firewall running on it.
    The problem is that you can't block proxy sites by URL. You block one, another one pops up. You'd need a specific content blocker installed or the firewall he has currently should support the same.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
    Call them into your office one by one and issue them a final warning, make it sound as serious as you can, type it out or put it on record or whatever and state that they are acting against the company's rules and regulations. So if you catch them again, well they've been warned....

Jan 30, 2009
    BEE? With the name Wynand? BEE my ass!:D
    hai bho blame apartheid :D

On a serious note,if you're a quantity surveyor with a minimum of 5yrs exp,send me a pm.If not good luck trying to find a job from now until february.Retail is probably your best option.
    :lol: err what?
    I work for my sis who works for my pops and they always throwing kak my way cos I'm black, I need somfin on the media side if you got connections hook a brotha up but I wont be able to start this year I'm kak tired and I need som' rest so next year feb will do

OP
    Byrone

Byrone

Peen Meister
    Dec 19, 2005
  • Thread Starter #20
    Some IT guy recommended i get vericept,apparently it can be adjusted to block proxy sites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)