Gym and fitness (15 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
Does anyone have a scientific answer for this: you go to the gym, you’re not really there due to whatever reasons. Therefore you train at 75% but you complete your workout. Does that have any effect?

Or a slightly different scenario. You had a good training, decided to do just two exercises for a different muscle group. Does that minimalistic approach have any effect?

Jun 16, 2020
My deficit journey is basically finished. Took a week off from the gym aswel this week, when I wake up im in the ~75kg range coming from a bit above 80kg when I bought my weighing scale. Quite pleased with the results, but have to say that I was a lot easier than expected. Didn’t had to change much besides ignoring the sugars.

Will maybe focus a bit more in a lean bulk and overall try to go boxing a bit more, won’t be easy but I’m going once a week now, will try to go a additional time. Would like to concentrate on callisthenics aswel but finding so much free time is a problem

1210d164-13d3-4501-add5-f6afa4c5ea04.jpeg
a5ace9a9-88cf-43ab-8f0c-43f1158ef7b5.jpeg

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
You boys ever heard of protein "water" or tried it? Strange how I haven't before. If it's decent I'd much prefer to drink this than milk based protein shakes.

1687823975351.png
The word protein on its own doesnt mean much, and it doesn't mention the whey percentage. Also protein as just water without other nutrients to help digest it properly will just go through you. Personally i dont buy any protein that doesnt list amino acid doses, primarily leucine. I also read that new breed proteins like collagen and gelatin might be superior to whey. But if you are getting whey, i defo go with isolate one that lists amino acids. So post workout you want about 40g of protein with at least 4g of leucine , 60-80g of oats, and gatorade or fruit, i personally like dates for fast sugar post workout as it also helps with digestion.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
The word protein on its own doesnt mean much, and it doesn't mention the whey percentage. Also protein as just water without other nutrients to help digest it properly will just go through you. Personally i dont buy any protein that doesnt list amino acid doses, primarily leucine. I also read that new breed proteins like collagen and gelatin might be superior to whey. But if you are getting whey, i defo go with isolate one that lists amino acids. So post workout you want about 40g of protein with at least 4g of leucine , 60-80g of oats, and gatorade or fruit, i personally like dates for fast sugar post workout as it also helps with digestion.
Thanks, that's a lot of new information for me.

Does the whey percentage matter if you know the volume of protein you're getting? (15g)

Also didn't know you need other nutrients protein to be digested.

Haven't noticed any difference using powders with or without amino acids tbh. The one I use now doesn't have. I never consider amino acids when I buy protein powders, thought the guy at the store was trying to sell me a gimmick lol. Getting them AAs from other food sources isn't adequate?

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Thanks, that's a lot of new information for me.

Does the whey percentage matter if you know the volume of protein you're getting? (15g)

Also didn't know you need other nutrients protein to be digested.

Haven't noticed any difference using powders with or without amino acids tbh. The one I use now doesn't have. I never consider amino acids when I buy protein powders, thought the guy at the store was trying to sell me a gimmick lol. Getting them AAs from other food sources isn't adequate?
Digestion is the most important aspect of nutrition, you can eat all the protein you want, what good is it if you are not digesting it? That's why you need a balanced diet that takes into account micronutrients. That's why i like using cronometer as a calorie counter.

Basically protein is chains of amino acids, and not all amino acids are created equal. For muscle building purposes you want to pay close attention to leucine and valine. Cheap protein powder will pack cheap shit in there and will not list dosage of the amino acids that make up the protein.

So no i am not telling you to buy BCAAs. I am telling you be selective of the whey protein powder you buy. A safe bet for example would be dyamtize ISO 100, it's also lactose free. But id personally go with any powder that lists the dosage of the amino acids.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Digestion is the most important aspect of nutrition, you can eat all the protein you want, what good is it if you are not digesting it? That's why you need a balanced diet that takes into account micronutrients. That's why i like using cronometer as a calorie counter.

Basically protein is chains of amino acids, and not all amino acids are created equal. For muscle building purposes you want to pay close attention to leucine and valine. Cheap protein powder will pack cheap shit in there and will not list dosage of the amino acids that make up the protein.

So no i am not telling you to buy BCAAs. I am telling you be selective of the whey protein powder you buy. A safe bet for example would be dyamtize ISO 100, it's also lactose free. But id personally go with any powder that lists the dosage of the amino acids.
Ooh I get it now :D :tup:

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005

And if you see that Glycine is listed as one of the first 5 ingridients in ingridients list, run from it. It’s spiked and it’s shit. Muscletech used to do that eith Nitro-Tech.

Also this is a good read: https://rippedbody.com/protein-powder-scams/

Pretty much sums up everything you said.

Jun 16, 2020
How’s everyone doing here? I’ve been focussing a bit more on overall fitness over the past ~3 weeks. Had a weekly run, did some cross fit workouts (which are horrible) and succeeded in going boxing two times per week. As a result struggled a bit in doing consecutive heavy weights training, although I didn’t ignore it, but it was less than all the previous months.

Just did a 10km run at 55 minutes, not very fast but I clearly felt a difference compared to for example 6 months ago, where I would feel my knees or lower back. Now I did it without struggling at all.

Dieting I kinda stopped. Should look into a lean bulk but overal ate more sugar and allowed myself some good old antipasti, but obviously didn’t go from a strict diet to trash. Continued eating healthy and consuming enough protein.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
How’s everyone doing here? I’ve been focussing a bit more on overall fitness over the past ~3 weeks. Had a weekly run, did some cross fit workouts (which are horrible) and succeeded in going boxing two times per week. As a result struggled a bit in doing consecutive heavy weights training, although I didn’t ignore it, but it was less than all the previous months.

Just did a 10km run at 55 minutes, not very fast but I clearly felt a difference compared to for example 6 months ago, where I would feel my knees or lower back. Now I did it without struggling at all.

Dieting I kinda stopped. Should look into a lean bulk but overal ate more sugar and allowed myself some good old antipasti, but obviously didn’t go from a strict diet to trash. Continued eating healthy and consuming enough protein.

Great to hear, try to stay disciplined with your diet. It's ok to cheat a few times a week but keep making sure you stick to a balanced daily diet.

Jun 16, 2020
Great to hear, try to stay disciplined with your diet. It's ok to cheat a few times a week but keep making sure you stick to a balanced daily diet.
Thanks man! Yes I will continue having a healthy and balanced diet. Some things became standard aswel, having a protein shake in the morning at breakfast and a protein bar in between breakfast and lunch, while at lunch I always eat veggies at the restaurant at work. The only thing I cancelled is not eating 500 grams of that French yoghurt every night, I grew tired of it after 2 months. What would you advise on how much grams of protein btw when you’re just living normal without a clear goal considering body fat or weight.

How did the deficit end? Did you reach 5%?

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Thanks man! Yes I will continue having a healthy and balanced diet. Some things became standard aswel, having a protein shake in the morning at breakfast and a protein bar in between breakfast and lunch, while at lunch I always eat veggies at the restaurant at work. The only thing I cancelled is not eating 500 grams of that French yoghurt every night, I grew tired of it after 2 months. What would you advise on how much grams of protein btw when you’re just living normal without a clear goal considering body fat or weight.

How did the deficit end? Did you reach 5%?

I like to stay away from dairy, even the protein i get gotta be lactose free. Just too much work with digesting it.

As for diet, it really depends on what you respond to better: fats or carbs. But a standard one would be 20% fats(no more than 4-5g transfat), 30% protein, and 50% carbs(about a quarter of that from fructose, the rest long sugars. Id also make it a habit to hit micronutrients daily: carrots, spinach, green beans broccoli, beans...

As for me i am pretty happy with results of my cut. I didn't quite get to 5%, but i gotta pretty close, overall satisfied.

Jun 16, 2020
I like to stay away from dairy, even the protein i get gotta be lactose free. Just too much work with digesting it.

As for diet, it really depends on what you respond to better: fats or carbs. But a standard one would be 20% fats(no more than 4-5g transfat), 30% protein, and 50% carbs(about a quarter of that from fructose, the rest long sugars. Id also make it a habit to hit micronutrients daily: carrots, spinach, green beans broccoli, beans...

As for me i am pretty happy with results of my cut. I didn't quite get to 5%, but i gotta pretty close, overall satisfied.
I recreated a regular day in my app, I came at 58% carbs, 25% protein and 17% fat, and I entered a pasta instead of a diner meal with chicken which we eat once or twice per week (and like 4 days pasta lol). Is your fructose source fruit? I’m at ~at least 4 pieces per day I guess (banana, few mandarins and dates usually). Maybe I should change to like 1,5 scoop of protein, will try it starting from tomorrow.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I recreated a regular day in my app, I came at 58% carbs, 25% protein and 17% fat, and I entered a pasta instead of a diner meal with chicken which we eat once or twice per week (and like 4 days pasta lol). Is your fructose source fruit? I’m at ~at least 4 pieces per day I guess (banana, few mandarins and dates usually). Maybe I should change to like 1,5 scoop of protein, will try it starting from tomorrow.
Yeah dates post workout, apple/pear after big meal preworkout, and pineapple ideally before eating beef

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011

Nice one man!

Life has been absolutely wild for me the past few weeks so I've basically taken my eye off the ball because consistency has been impossible.

Been focusing on my macros to maintain muh gains. Another couple of weeks till things calm down again.

I did go rock climbing last weekend. Hadn't been in like 20 years but a friend was back in the country so I went along. So much fun. Great exercise plus problem solving. Really good mental and physical training, especially bouldering. Kind of thing I could get into.

I'm actually moving tomorrow to a new city. Once things settle with the new place and new job I'm hoping to get back into bjj on top of lifting at home plus maybe swimming. I've been in and out of training for most of my adult life. Miss it. I'm bothering to take my gis with me so that's something of a statement of intent!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah dates post workout, apple/pear after big meal preworkout, and pineapple ideally before eating beef
Was wondering if you've tried or read about pomegranate juice ever? It's pretty expensive and really high in sugar but I had read years back that something in it boosts testosterone production and that's good for depression (which I have a chronic form of).

I had a couple of mouthfuls every day and I can't remember the testosterone affecting my gains at the time (I was training a lot of martial arts. No lifting but a lot of calisthenics in capoeira class) but I do think my T level spiked after a couple of weeks. The constant arousal was quite distracting lol. My mental health also improved noticeably, but that might also have been all the sex i was having lmao.

Anyway I got mono and ended up in hospital for 4 days and lost all my energy levels and never went back to it. Might try it again

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)