Gym and fitness (16 Viewers)

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011
Nice man, I did judo until the green band when I was a kid. Honestly becoming a black belt in a fighting sport is something I should add to my bucket list. With Jiu Jitsu I have no experience though, never did it.

I’m really into boxing last months. Coincidentally I introduced two friends together with another friend into boxing today. They were a bit nervous to start sparring, in the end we convinced them to spar a few rounds only hitting each others body, afterwards they loved it. I always find it crazy how heavy sparring is form a cardio pov, way heavier than cross fit or running. It’s just something else, one minute rounds can absolutely destroy you
I did japanese jujitsu to orange belt for a couple of years back in the day which was like a mix of Judo and bjj (those two come from the japanese jujitsu, each focusing on one particular aspect, as I understand) as well as some Capoeira which was easily the hardest training I've ever experienced in my life. Like you say I'd love to earn a black belt some day.

I know what you mean with the sparring. It's so taxing. I've never done a striking art, but grappling with a resisting opponent in bjj is exhausting. But obviously lots of fun. I'd much rather have somebody trying to choke me or tear my arm off than trying to kick or punch me in the face :grin:

How often do you box? Glad your friends liked it, do you think they'll go to your class often?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 16, 2020
I did japanese jujitsu to orange belt for a couple of years back in the day which was like a mix of Judo and bjj (those two come from the japanese jujitsu, each focusing on one particular aspect, as I understand) as well as some Capoeira which was easily the hardest training I've ever experienced in my life. Like you say I'd love to earn a black belt some day.

I know what you mean with the sparring. It's so taxing. I've never done a striking art, but grappling with a resisting opponent in bjj is exhausting. But obviously lots of fun. I'd much rather have somebody trying to choke me or tear my arm off than trying to kick or punch me in the face :grin:

How often do you box? Glad your friends liked it, do you think they'll go to your class often?
I try to go twice per week, usually on Sundays and either Monday or Thursday. Today we just boxed in a park at a fitness area, first we trained then we finished it off with boxing.

In regards to sparring and either getting choked or punched in the face, honestly in my opinion the most important thing is finding a good class. I boxed a few years ago at a quite notorious gym, you’d get beat up every training, that became too much for me. A few months ago I found a class quite close to my home and it’s perfect, no ego’s and everyone fights in a respectful manner.

I find the combination between progressive weight training, some boxing and either some cross fit or cardio perfect so far. It’s a bit of everything and not too much of one thing. How are you doing? Planning to continue with BJJ or still focussing on something different?

- - - Updated - - -

Wanna get into kickboxing
One of my best friends is a kickboxing coach. He gives boxing classes aswel, I did a kickbox class about a month ago. It’s a really nice sport. I like boxing a bit more due to the body movements and being limited in your options, but kickboxing is seriously nice aswel. Mastering a perfect high kick is a serious achievement while you probably won’t need much more than a good low kick to defend yourself if you get attacked in the streets. I always find it insane if you look to a match how many kicks those fighters can have, because they hurt like hell.

Last edited:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
This show is wild. They usually have some form of sexual trauma experienced during childhood.
I’m really into boxing last months. Coincidentally I introduced two friends together with another friend into boxing today. They were a bit nervous to start sparring, in the end we convinced them to spar a few rounds only hitting each others body, afterwards they loved it. I always find it crazy how heavy sparring is form a cardio pov, way heavier than cross fit or running. It’s just something else, one minute rounds can absolutely destroy you
What do you do to minimize the chance of brain injury? I don't think I could ever be comfortable with it as long as that's a possibility.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
This show is wild. They usually have some form of sexual trauma experienced during childhood.

What do you do to minimize the chance of brain injury? I don't think I could ever be comfortable with it as long as that's a possibility.
I joined a boxing gym when I lived in Mexico. I highly recommend. The training was so much fun and a great workout and I didn’t spar so no head trauma.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah sparring should come much later, od say after at least 6 months of dedicated training and first with the coach then people you can trust to do it right.

The thing with boxing though is that it doesn't really work with bodybuilding, especially the shoulder part.
Forreal though, 6 months of training before sparring? But that's the fun part.

Jun 16, 2020

You can do a lot of sparring sessions hitting just each others body, that’s already a great solution. We do a lot of those rounds, when you let your guard down you will kiss some gloves but it will be in a respectful manner.

If you do decide to spar hitting each others head honestly there’s a big difference in using 40% of your power or 80%. That’s why I say that finding a good gym is key, only ego’s will try to hurt you. Just like in football training it doesn’t make any sense to give a tackle at full power on your buddy.

There are helmets too btw. Bottom line for me though remains finding a group of nice people, if you see that they’re beating the shit out of each other it’s a big red flag, turn around and don’t spend your money there. Only stupid people will pay money to return home dizzy while they aren’t even competing.

Jun 16, 2020
Yeah sparring should come much later, od say after at least 6 months of dedicated training and first with the coach then people you can trust to do it right.

The thing with boxing though is that it doesn't really work with bodybuilding, especially the shoulder part.
I disagree with this

Dont spar with idiots is more like it
But strongly agree with this

Jun 16, 2020
I usually go for around 7-15 reps. Maybe more for some muscles like calves, traps, and especially lateral delts where I don't want to go too heavy.
I usually keep it between 8-12 reps, but indeed for the muscles you said, plus biceps and triceps I like to go down in weight and reach 20-24 reps during my last set. Don’t have some kind of rule for it though, I just go with the flow

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I usually keep it between 8-12 reps, but indeed for the muscles you said, plus biceps and triceps I like to go down in weight and reach 20-24 reps during my last set. Don’t have some kind of rule for it though, I just go with the flow
According to the research you can get gains at higher and lower volumes (but may not very effective at the extremes), so I think it really comes down to preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)