Gym and fitness (16 Viewers)

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Living healthy: taking care of your body, performing to the best of your potential
You can't perform to the best of your potential without the best fuel. That's a flawed equation.

And like I said, if you're interested in taking care of your body anyway, might as well do it right when you are. Still not seeing the huge distinction.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Humans were meant to eat the young of the vanquished. Just sayin’...

You can't perform to the best of your potential without the best fuel. That's a flawed equation.

And like I said, if you're interested in taking care of your body anyway, might as well do it right when you are. Still not seeing the huge distinction.
I’m not really a fan. There’s a whole food-as-medicine vs food-as-poison mythos out there that’s more mentally unhealthy than anything. And like Michael Pollan said: “Never trust a food that makes a health claim.”

And there’s a massive difference between nutrition and health. Eating nutritious foods could kill you. If you are nothing but kale all day, you’re dead. Few seem to like the messy ideas of balance, variety, the complementary. It doesn’t fit the convenient militancy narrative. Because first and foremost, humans evolved over millennia to survive on whatever we could get our hands on. Not to “hack” our diets and voluntarily encourage eating disorders.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

I can't? And lemme guess you are the one who determines what's the best fuel, right? I'm done wasting my time on you.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Humans were meant to eat the young of the vanquished. Just sayin’...

I’m not really a fan. There’s a whole food-as-medicine vs food-as-poison mythos out there that’s more mentally unhealthy than anything. And like Michael Pollan said: “Never trust a food that makes a health claim.”

And there’s a massive difference between nutrition and health. Eating nutritious foods could kill you. If you are nothing but kale all day, you’re dead. Few seem to like the messy ideas of balance, variety, the complementary. It doesn’t fit the convenient militancy narrative. Because first and foremost, humans evolved over millennia to survive on whatever we could get our hands on. Not to “hack” our diets and voluntarily encourage eating disorders.
Yeah, it's counterproductive if you stress over it esp when you're already generally eating healthy.

No one said anything about eating only kale or hacks, and I specifically mentioned a varied diet is key...

- - - Updated - - -

I can't? And lemme guess you are the one who determines what's the best fuel, right? I'm done wasting my time on you.
Do you really not think food is one of the fuels for performance? Or that performing at your very best and reaching your max potential means maximizing your fuel? That's a pretty simple equation.

Maybe you wouldn't be so easily excited if you had a healthier diet.

- - - Updated - - -

@swag And yes, health claims on labels generally don't mean anything. Regulations are very loose on those. You're supposed to read the ingredients and nutrition facts. But no one brought up supplements either.

Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Because first and foremost, humans evolved over millennia to survive on whatever we could get our hands on. Not to “hack” our diets and voluntarily encourage eating disorders.
What they could get their hands on were whole foods, not refined sugar and processed food. It's not a viable strategy anymore.

Saying switching from grain fed to grass fed beef is voluntarily encouraging eating disorders is quite a leap.

As for "food as medicine vs food as poison," you're what you eat. That's a measurable scientific fact. That's doesn't mean you can't eat refined sugar and processed food in small amounts, but no one said otherwise.

A kale only diet is very, very far from a healthy diet. You overdose on certain things and don't get other essential nutrients which, yes, would kill you. That's one thing I agree with, but not sure where that came from either.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
So what you guys are saying is that I shouldn't eat this whole 16 inch pizza by myself for breakfast? Sounds like some KKKILLARY libtard propaganda to me.
:lol: Nice Merican impersonation.

What they could get their hands on were whole foods, not refined sugar and processed food. It's not a viable strategy anymore.
I disagree. It still is. If it doesn't come in a box, you're doing pretty good for starters at least.

Saying switching from grain fed to grass fed beef is voluntarily encouraging eating disorders is quite a leap.
By eating disorders, I am referencing more the likes of Jack Dorsey... the types who think they can outsmart their biology by "hacking their diet". Which is how Steve Jobs ended up dead from a treatable disease.

As for "food as medicine vs food as poison," you're what you eat. That's a measurable scientific fact. That's doesn't mean you can't eat refined sugar and processed food in small amounts, but no one said otherwise.
It's one thing to try to eat a healthy, balanced diet and not overdo your portions. It's quite another to subscribe to eating this as a miracle cure and that as a toxin that will kill you. This happens way, way too often. Most human diets today are defined by gerrymandered exclusions: "I don't eat gluten", even if you're one of the 99% that don't have celiac disease. "I don't eat pork - unclean animal." "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat chicken and fish." (Dafuq is THAT about anyway??) And otherwise an attitude that buys into reductionist eating: açaí berries, bone broth, probiotic foods, alternative milks, etc. as if a little of a fake fad ingredient is good for you so gorging on it must be that much better!

It's a false illusion ... the quasi-religious belief that you can defeat illness and death with a veneer of control over what you ingest.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
:lol: Nice Merican impersonation.

I disagree. It still is. If it doesn't come in a box, you're doing pretty good for starters at least.

By eating disorders, I am referencing more the likes of Jack Dorsey... the types who think they can outsmart their biology by "hacking their diet". Which is how Steve Jobs ended up dead from a treatable disease.

It's one thing to try to eat a healthy, balanced diet and not overdo your portions. It's quite another to subscribe to eating this as a miracle cure and that as a toxin that will kill you. This happens way, way too often. Most human diets today are defined by gerrymandered exclusions: "I don't eat gluten", even if you're one of the 99% that don't have celiac disease. "I don't eat pork - unclean animal." "I'm a vegetarian, but I eat chicken and fish." (Dafuq is THAT about anyway??) And otherwise an attitude that buys into reductionist eating: açaí berries, bone broth, probiotic foods, alternative milks, etc. as if a little of a fake fad ingredient is good for you so gorging on it must be that much better!

It's a false illusion ... the quasi-religious belief that you can defeat illness and death with a veneer of control over what you ingest.
Yeah but who here is talking about eating a lot of x as a means of miracle cure or hack?

Closest is Gordo thinking he can become Ronaldo by gorging on what's in those boxes.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
IMO "best potential" smacks of optimization and maximizing some mythical efficiency, which is a very inhumane way to live.
@GordoDeCentral

Btw, agree with you about people being reactionary. Majority tend to be. Whether it's re diet/health, soccer (this forum a great example), or politics. They lose sense of balance and adopt a more extreme view. How these fads form and then die down.

One bad game, this player is shit. One good game, he's WC. And hopping on this or that diet based on anecdotal "evidence" or bc a celeb is doing it. Liking Trump bc you're developmentally retarded. Etc.

DS8_Montero

Aug 10, 2018
I eat healthy food because when I don't I feel worse physically. I exercise because when I do I feel much better both physically and psychologically. These are my only reasons, very simple. And my approach to the healthy food and exercising is also simple: they are parts of my life, but they don't define who I am or what I can or cannot do (If I want to eat cake - I eat cake).

I used to be a fan of all of those "best ways" of exercising, eating, etc., but then I grew up. There are so many things you should do "right" in order to live the "perfectly healthy" life that the entire idea is unreachable. Food and exercising are just a tiny part of what defines your life in terms of your health. You also need a perfectly clean air and water. You also need to avoid all kinds of stress (which causes more harm than the unhealthiest food imaginable), which means, for example, no football. You also need to avoid constant noise around you (did you know how bad the average city background noise is for your health?). And so on.

There are people who try to do all of this and even more. Unfortunately, usually they just have severe mental health issues that drive them into this "healthy living" escapism, so it's not about real health after all. Look at those who call themselves biohackers, people eat a hundred pills every day, which is worse than what people with the most severe illnesses do, but believe they are living the healthiest lives. But the level of psychological pressure they put themselves under easily erases everything good they could hypothetically get from that insane level of "healthiness" they aspire to reach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)