Gym and fitness (31 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You being sarcastic, coz I hardly ever work out chest, tore it twice :D
You tore your pecs? Jesus.. Bench press in general is a rather poor exercise. I find it creates manboobs and much prefer push ups.

But these days I have a new found love for running and sprinting. That always gets me more muscular than lifting and I don't have the back pain. I just add in some pull ups and I'm good to go.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Benchpress is what shapes the chest. Offcourse you need to have be doing enough to have the result

120-140kg minimum and a fat% under 18% is guaranteed a well sculpted chest. Lowering the fat% will make it exponentially better at that point.

benching less then that and saying it doesnt build a chest, is like ejaculating in your pants and say your blowjob sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

both X and me bench over the minimum

X has an amazing chest, and is on a nice fat%.

I bench 160kg and despite beeing at 119kg 19% fat, my chest is pretty damn good.

Wich it wasnt when i was weighing 145kg at a much higher fat% and a much lower fatfree mass.

Manboobs, are the result of to low fatfreemass, and to high fat%.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
You tore your pecs? Jesus.. Bench press in general is a rather poor exercise. I find it creates manboobs and much prefer push ups.

But these days I have a new found love for running and sprinting. That always gets me more muscular than lifting and I don't have the back pain. I just add in some pull ups and I'm good to go.
What Zach said. You're wrong. And I don't see how running can get someone more muscular than lifting, unless you're lifting really light weights or something.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Generally, if you want to build a certain muscle to look good, just see what bodybuilders are doing.
If its visuals you want, there is quite simply not a better reference then a good bodybuilder.

Now if someone can find me 1 bodybuilder thats not doing benchpress with dumbels or barbells (some prefer dumbels), i'll be extremely impressed.
Bench press is THE chest shaping excercise

@ALC what Seven is trying to say, is that you appear more muscular when lowering fat%. Wich is entirely true. You'll lose muscle, but because you shredd off alot more fat then muscle, the muscle that is left will be more defined and appear bigger.

My spotter is on his 8% mission. His arms look fucking huge and shredded at 11% at the moment. However, they measure 3 cm less then before and he lost a bit of strength.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Benchpress is what shapes the chest. Offcourse you need to have be doing enough to have the result

120-140kg minimum and a fat% under 18% is guaranteed a well sculpted chest. Lowering the fat% will make it exponentially better at that point.

benching less then that and saying it doesnt build a chest, is like ejaculating in your pants and say your blowjob sucked.

- - - Updated - - -

both X and me bench over the minimum

X has an amazing chest, and is on a nice fat%.

I bench 160kg and despite beeing at 119kg 19% fat, my chest is pretty damn good.

Wich it wasnt when i was weighing 145kg at a much higher fat% and a much lower fatfree mass.

Manboobs, are the result of to low fatfreemass, and to high fat%.
I was talking from an iniury perspective. Bench press is usually very rough on the shoulders.

What Zach said. You're wrong. And I don't see how running can get someone more muscular than lifting, unless you're lifting really light weights or something.
When I'm at my heaviest, I definitely do a combination. Because if I don't run enough I don't have enough gas in the tank to lift heavy. Regular cardio also makes me recover quicker. Look into why you need cardio from Mike Robertson.

When I want muscles to show, I sprint. A lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, but I've heard other people say bench press gives you man boobs and I think it's a misconception :D
Problem is that many guys focus almost exclusively on the chest. So you have fat guys creating pecs that are huge and look almost like boobs.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
It's probably people that do exclusively bench press for pecs. Need to activate the lower and upper pecs as well. Incline, decline and other exercises.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
It depends on your ambition level and what you want to achieve. I do 100 pushups and 3x10 dumbell press on chest day and thus far my pecs have developed in line with my shoulders and triceps. I don't want big pecs nor do I want them shaped in a square where they look like they've been cut from a block of stone. Just want to get stronk.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Why would push ups fuck them up? Do it proper and nothing but great results will happen.
That goes for all exercises though. Some people just have difficulties with certain exercises. To me the squat has always been weird and painful. There have been periodes I got it right, but all in all not a very rewarding exercise for me.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
That goes for all exercises though. Some people just have difficulties with certain exercises. To me the squat has always been weird and painful. There have been periodes I got it right, but all in all not a very rewarding exercise for me.
I've noticed squatting has been painful for those who play football regularly.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I tried my way with squats, but it - like you're describing - it felt weird and I quickly quit on it. I rely on riding my bike and doing lunges for leg strenght, not really interested in having huge thighs and I have a naturally great booty so it's ok.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I tried my way with squats, but it - like you're describing - it felt weird and I quickly quit on it. I rely on riding my bike and doing lunges for leg strenght, not really interested in having huge thighs and I have a naturally great booty so it's ok.
Pics or you are lying!

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Benchpress is done wrong by most.

You need to tuck in the ellbows, if they are 90degree angle with the torso, then you stress the rotator. Ive injured mine like that back in 2013.

Squat is also mostly done wrong with crossi ng and bad warmup.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Why would push ups fuck them up? Do it proper and nothing but great results will happen.
It fucks them up simply because unlike bench where your back and legs are the foundation of the movement, your arm all the way up to your shoulder and a lesser extent your feet are the foundation. I used to do lotsa pushups, like a 100 straight, your rotators suffer a lot.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It's true, pushups do screw up shoulders. Been there done that.

- - - Updated - - -

Benchpress is done wrong by most.

You need to tuck in the ellbows, if they are 90degree angle with the torso, then you stress the rotator. Ive injured mine like that back in 2013.

Squat is also mostly done wrong with crossi ng and bad warmup.
Agreed.

And I've been doing them wrong for like 2 years. But it's imo most complex exercise to master.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)