Gym and fitness (13 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
As in first set is 100, second set is 110. Damn. Smallest my gym has is 5s. I guess bring my own?
zach and post ironic are best placed to advice, but I'd suggest changing to a better measurement system as lbs are retarded. 5kgs will be manageable for lower weighs, but post 70/80kgs you'll hurt yourself and/or develop bad form if you push too fast.

- - - Updated - - -

I just reread what you said. I've not read any plans that advise raising weights between sets, I've always understood that each set you got for the max you can lift for the amount of reps. I.e 5 sets of 5 reps of 110kgs, not 5 -60, 5 - 70, 5 - 80, 5- 90, 5 - 100, 5 - 110, that's a waste of effort.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
zach and post ironic are best placed to advice, but I'd suggest changing to a better measurement system as lbs are retarded. 5kgs will be manageable for lower weighs, but post 70/80kgs you'll hurt yourself and/or develop bad form if you push too fast.

- - - Updated - - -

I just reread what you said. I've not read any plans that advise raising weights between sets, I've always understood that each set you got for the max you can lift for the amount of reps. I.e 5 sets of 5 reps of 110kgs, not 5 -60, 5 - 70, 5 - 80, 5- 90, 5 - 100, 5 - 110, that's a waste of effort.
That's how I've always been taught to do it. I really have to re-evaluate everything for being a dumbass :sergio:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
As in first set is 100, second set is 110.
Depends on your progression. As long as you can, do like bill star does

set 1 : 5 reps@50%
set 2 : 5 [email protected]%
set 3 : 5 reps@75%
set 4 : 5 [email protected]%
set 5 : 5 reps@100%

The percentage is based on the 5th set. If you can do 5 reps at 70kg, then that 70kg is 100% and the rest is percentage of 70kg. (so its not 5 reps at your 1repmax :p)

As long as that keeps you growing and increasing strength, there is no need to change it

Doing 5 sets of your 5rep max, is very taxing and will crush your recovery untill you are an advanced lifter

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Depends on your progression. As long as you can, do like bill star does

set 1 : 5 reps@50%
set 2 : 5 [email protected]%
set 3 : 5 reps@75%
set 4 : 5 [email protected]%
set 5 : 5 reps@100%

The percentage is based on the 5th set. If you can do 5 reps at 70kg, then that 70kg is 100% and the rest is percentage of 70kg. (so its not 5 reps at your 1repmax :p)

As long as that keeps you growing and increasing strength, there is no need to change it

Doing 5 sets of your 5rep max, is very taxing and will crush your recovery untill you are an advanced lifter
Apparently I've been starting at like 91% of my 5 rep max, this would explain why I feel like I'm going to die then by the end of it :p. As stupid as it sounds, it's VERY hard for me to get used to not feeling that way by the end of a workout. Like now, breathing is physically painful because I worked chest two days ago, but I know now that's not normal. Still I feel like I haven't done enough if I don't end up feeling like this within the next two days.

Also I estimate that it would take maybe 3-4 hours for me to follow the Bill Starr 5x5 at my gym at peak hours after work. I'll try it, but honestly I don't know how long I could realistically keep that up for. Maybe I'll end up switching gyms now that I'm making some money.

Thanks!

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Well there you have it, you are straining your muscles and tendons too much.

Bill star doesnt nearly last that long mate

Its only has 2 heavy'ish sets, 15 sets in total and some assitance work. You should complete easely under an houre

http://nutribody.com/blog/post/Bill-Starrs-Intermediate-5x5-Workout.aspx

check the downloadable excell file, wich is very important to follow
You neglect the most important factor with that though: waiting for the bar while everyone and their mother are at the gym :D

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Ah, memories of that ghetto gym i used to go to twice a week :D

The positive side of crossfit : gyms equipped with a dozen of powerracks in wich you can benchpress , squat, deadlift and whatever barbell excercise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)