Gym and fitness (35 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Ah, memories of that ghetto gym i used to go to twice a week :D

The positive side of crossfit : gyms equipped with a dozen of powerracks in wich you can benchpress , squat, deadlift and whatever barbell excercise
I've been trying to find a crossfit gym around my area as they are closing my work gym to relay the floor base, wasn't done properly when the gym was built last year and the o-lifters have fully destroyed it. Cross-fit is a fucking joke, none of them let you just sign up and use the gym, you have to pay £70 a month min in a 12 month contract, can only use the gym during 'class times' and you have to do a three hour induction which costs hundreds, who the fuck signs up for this shit? It's like a £400 outlay, guaranteeing to pay them £1000, to use a gym for two sessions a week with some fucking dildo watching you the whole time.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I've been trying to find a crossfit gym around my area as they are closing my work gym to relay the floor base, wasn't done properly when the gym was built last year and the o-lifters have fully destroyed it. Cross-fit is a fucking joke, none of them let you just sign up and use the gym, you have to pay £70 a month min in a 12 month contract, can only use the gym during 'class times' and you have to do a three hour induction which costs hundreds, who the fuck signs up for this shit? It's like a £400 outlay, guaranteeing to pay them £1000, to use a gym for two sessions a week with some fucking dildo watching you the whole time.
Wat :lol:

My gym is 14 eu / month. It's got two floors, most machines you can imagine and about 7-8 power racks.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Hold on, i can explain that.

Nzoric is going to the proper gym, wich is very rare. We got 1 powerrack, 1 squatrack, one smith on wich you can attack a bar on the back (it has pins to attack a lose bar), 2 benches, an incline bench and a decline bench. So in total about 7 barbells and a ton of weights.
These gyms come very rare, Nzoric's gym is obviously better considering you can do everything in a powerrack, if there are also loose benches availbale should one desire to boxsquat or do some form of benchpress.

Now the thing with crossfit gyms is the following.

They work with lessons, but for these lessions, everyone must have its own barbell. Thats quite the investment right there. Then, you need bumperplates wich can be dropped no problem from 2-3 meters high. technically the barbells aswel. So what usually happens, is that you pay quite a big fee, and you work in group. Once the big initial investment of all them barbells and weights is covered, they easely make a ton more profit then a regular gym, and will attempt to work only with group sessions.

The sad part is that, Crossfit gyms are theoretically insane for olympic lifting and powerlifting. They got everything you need. Ideally, you try to find one that opens during daytime for regular lifting, and has fixed houres for the crossfit.
(especially olympic lifting, considering you can squat/bench/deadlift with regular bars and weights, but olympic lifting requires shock proof weights and bars that cost 3-5 times as much. top class Eleiko powerlifting stiff bar is 2000 euro, the olympic lifting one is 5000 euro)

In entire Belgium, we got exactly 1 gym that is equipped like what Nzoric says. Olympic ghent. Wich owned by Tom Goegebuer (most wellknown belgian olympic lifter, -54kg) and has for example Jeroen Van Heeswijk (belgian powerlifter -105kg, silver medal in european championship 2014) training in it.

Thats it really.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Wat :lol:

My gym is 14 eu / month. It's got two floors, most machines you can imagine and about 7-8 power racks.
I live in one of the richest parts of England, like 1% rich, so everything is fucking expensive, it's a complete ball ache. If I lived up north or in a different area of the South East it would be probably be a bit more reasonable, it's why I love my uni gym, has 6 power racks, three benches, another four for Dumbbells, five o-lifting platforms, loads of barbells and its £80 for 3 months as I'm staff. My gf has a gym in Brighton that's £20 a month 24/7, that'd be schweet!

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
my gym is a 15 minute walk/ 1 minutee drive from house. friendly people and 24/7

but the best part is cardio bunnies. hnnggg best pre workout

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I love Eleiko equipment
Eleiko barbells and plates are by a very large margain the best in the world. Even Ivanko and Harris come well behind. Eleiko is the juventus, whilst Ivanko and Harris are the Roma and Napoli, just less annoying.

Damn, how i'd love to get a set of their gear once i'm having my own homegym

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Not once, my lats never feel tired after working out but they look ripped, I got narrow grip pull ups, I pulldown 90kgs and row 85kgs on the machine, going to start barbell rows soon. I shrug 105kgs, I try to go up 2.5kgs a week on each but have plateaud lately

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Try pushing 2.5 a week, negligible difference. I did get up to 97.5 kgs on the pulldown but I fucked my rotator cuff at the same time and have plateuad since. Hoping my trainer will get me out of it.

Don't read much into how much other people lift unless they're the same size as you, I'm 82kgs and 179cm, I should be lifting much heavier :D

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Try pushing 2.5 a week, negligible difference. I did get up to 97.5 kgs on the pulldown but I fucked my rotator cuff at the same time and have plateuad since. Hoping my trainer will get me out of it.

Don't read much into how much other people lift unless they're the same size as you, I'm 82kgs and 179cm, I should be lifting much heavier :D
Ill try that, this is only my second week in the gym after a month of body weight training at home.

Im 184 and 81kgs so I should be lifting much more too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 30)

• Pegi