Gym and fitness (11 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
What does that mean ??
Exercises that are not isolation movements and which only hit (basically) one muscle group (flys for chest).

Compound movements hit more muscle groups (bench press, squats, pullups, deadlifts, dips, bent over barbell rows). Stick to those and focus on progressive overload and you'll see great results. No need to do anything complicated, especially since you're a beginner.

Also, I'd recommend avoiding deadlifts.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
3 times per week is acceptable, even for beginners.

Sticking with compound movements is the way to go.
Compounds that dont stress the lower back : yes

squat : if you do them right, and no time for hello kitty, squat under paralel of your knees will come back for you later. dont go high in weight, go high in reps and have the form right.

compounds that do stress the back : get away from them

imo the biggest mistake you can do at the start, is doing excercises that stress the lower back, as a secondary muscle. If you get the form right, you'll probably get the weight up, but only after training, you'll notice you were injuring your back.

yates rows, bent over barball rows with to high weight, deadlift(lol), standing overhead barbal tricep extention... potential back killers

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Exercises that are not isolation movements and which only hit (basically) one muscle group (flys for chest).

Compound movements hit more muscle groups (bench press, squats, pullups, deadlifts, dips, bent over barbell rows). Stick to those and focus on progressive overload and you'll see great results. No need to do anything complicated, especially since you're a beginner.

Also, I'd recommend avoiding deadlifts.
Why should anyone avoid deadlifts? Its probably one of the most functional and beneficial exercises you can do. Core and glute activation as well as strengthening your postural chain are really important for avoiding injury.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Why should anyone avoid deadlifts? Its probably one of the most functional and beneficial exercises you can do. Core and glute activation as well as strengthening your postural chain are really important for avoiding injury.
Because you can avoid it and get a great back, great hamstrings and strong lower back and gluts. You can just get a huge injury which will prevent you from doing anything in the future and I have no idea why would someone do that.

Bottom line is that you can look like a beast without it and also skip a huge % of getting injured on that shit. It demands on going heavy, it's just retarded.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Deadlift is the best excercise in the world, and the most important to get more power

however, since its so easy to do it wrong, its also the best excercise in the universe to totally kill your back for months or forever

you NEED a strong core to start with it

if you just want a big back, dont do them, do pulldowns, rows, cable rows, triangle pulldowns, hypers, etc

if you want to lift big ass weights, start doing then after 2 good training years

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
i did my first deadlifts after 15 months of training.

the form was right, yet on the final set i noticed my back was cramping, and luckely i stopped

i could hardly stand fully erect, and the next + houres, my lower back had no feeling in it.

i also could hardly squat the first week after that.

6 months ago, training for 30 months now, i started deadlifting again, after 15 months of intensive and heavy back excercise.

this time my back was totally fine with it, altho still tired afterwards.

my deadlift is a decent weight now, but even then i now sometimes have to rob voltare, a gel painkiller, over my lowerback after training, or when i go for a long walk (read, she wants to go shopping) because it will start to cramp after a while

that said, my back made massive improvements in both strenght and size from doing deadlift

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Actually the opposite is true. Strengthening your postural chain and core are vital in preventing injury and improving on most if not all exercises. You won't get injured deadlifting if you progressively ease into a heavier load (no one should ever do any exercise for the first time at a 5 RM, that's why beginners are prescribed 12-15 RM) and use proper form. Squats and deadlifts are the best exercises anyone could do. If you take the time to learn correct technique you will no doubt reap the benefits.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
i did my first deadlifts after 15 months of training.

the form was right, yet on the final set i noticed my back was cramping, and luckely i stopped

i could hardly stand fully erect, and the next + houres, my lower back had no feeling in it.

i also could hardly squat the first week after that.

6 months ago, training for 30 months now, i started deadlifting again, after 15 months of intensive and heavy back excercise.

this time my back was totally fine with it, altho still tired afterwards.

my deadlift is a decent weight now, but even then i now sometimes have to rob voltare, a gel painkiller, over my lowerback after training, or when i go for a long walk (read, she wants to go shopping) because it will start to cramp after a while

that said, my back made massive improvements in both strenght and size from doing deadlift
Yeah when I began doing deads my erector spinae was so tight I could barely take the weights off the bar when I was finished. At the finish of a dead lift you're meant to lock your back by pushing the hips forward and squeezing your glutes and this tends to tighten your erector spinae especially for the first few times you do it. Not to worry, if it was a disc issue you'd definitely know.

Andri92

Apr 11, 2009
How long does it take for a sprained wrist to heal completely? It's been a month and a half since the accident (played football, got hit with a ball) happened but I don't see too much improvement, it hurts only when bent to certain extent, like when doing pushups, it doesn't disturb me in everyday life. There's also no swelling. I really hoped it would be ok for September so I could start going to the gym again but I'm not too optimistic now.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah when I began doing deads my erector spinae was so tight I could barely take the weights off the bar when I was finished. At the finish of a dead lift you're meant to lock your back by pushing the hips forward and squeezing your glutes and this tends to tighten your erector spinae especially for the first few times you do it. Not to worry, if it was a disc issue you'd definitely know.
Dont worry about it, first two weeks on my diet, i repeated my 5*5 weights for squat and deadlift, succesfully, without any pain.
what i had is common with progressive schedules, you go up in weights, body must adapt, and in the progress it hurts.

How long does it take for a sprained wrist to heal completely? It's been a month and a half since the accident (played football, got hit with a ball) happened but I don't see too much improvement, it hurts only when bent to certain extent, like when doing pushups, it doesn't disturb me in everyday life. There's also no swelling. I really hoped it would be ok for September so I could start going to the gym again but I'm not too optimistic now.
both when you had a wrist in plaster for a while(and its weak) or on a sprained wirst, you can use wirstbands. they take off some weight from the wrist, so you can excercise it

at first use it at all excercise, then lower the usage.

currently, i only use them on my last two sets of military press and bench press, or when doing 5*15 exhaust sets for them.

if its to painfull, you should probably stop for a while. (altho i never listen to that advice myself)

Actually the opposite is true. Strengthening your postural chain and core are vital in preventing injury and improving on most if not all exercises. You won't get injured deadlifting if you progressively ease into a heavier load (no one should ever do any exercise for the first time at a 5 RM, that's why beginners are prescribed 12-15 RM) and use proper form. Squats and deadlifts are the best exercises anyone could do. If you take the time to learn correct technique you will no doubt reap the benefits.
i disagree on this. you dont feel you are damaging the back with deadlift at first, and when you start to notice its allready to late. if you have a strong core, you feel it immediatly when overextending yourself

In one of the two gyms i go to, i'm about the only one that really deadlifts. half of them had an injury trough it once, and the other half is scared to get one.

dule is absolutely right when he says that deadlift has a significant higher chance to injury yourself.

before deadlifting, get that strong core, and get used to the diffrence between the pain of a serious training, and the pain of an overused muscle about to fail

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
People get injured doing deadlifts because they don't use good form and they attempt a low RM too quickly. Practice the movement with a higher rep range so that you can perfect your technique and allow your erector spinae to strengthen and support your spine. There's no reason for injury if your technique is good and your core and back are strong. If you're really scared of injury don't attempt anything lower than 5 RM.

Deadlifts make you more stable and make your postural chain stronger which helps avoid back problems that occur in everyday life or when performing other exercises.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'd add to that that it's extremely easy to get injured doing back squats. They're a highly technical lift and most people end up lifting with their backs, not their legs. Front squats are much easier to learn and quite probably a better exercise anyway. Deadlifts are awesome for obvious reasons, but yeah, your form has to be top notch.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
People get injured doing deadlifts because they don't use good form and they attempt a low RM too quickly. Practice the movement with a higher rep range so that you can perfect your technique and allow your erector spinae to strengthen and support your spine. There's no reason for injury if your technique is good and your core and back are strong. If you're really scared of injury don't attempt anything lower than 5 RM.

Deadlifts make you more stable and make your postural chain stronger which helps avoid back problems that occur in everyday life or when performing other exercises.
yes but exactly my point was that you need that strong core first

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
I posted these pics at the Pictureski thread but i completely forgot about this thread..... I was 87 kg's before i started working out and i had all those kg's on my ass and legs while my upper body was very skinny. After 3 months of intensive workout i stayed the same in kg's but now my body is proportional to what it used to be in the sense that all that extra fat from my legs and ass went in my upper body and im really, really satisfied. I feel better, stronger and more agile.......
$rsz_dsc00722.jpg $rsz_dsc00723.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)