Gym and fitness (25 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
All back problems that come from running are caused by a weak core.

And to avoid other problems when running go for minimalistic shoes, run on your toes, make sure you have a straight up upper body, push your body up when releasing the foot on the ground and kick your arms back at each strode.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
To power up the core, you could do leg raises and crunches for the abs and hyper extentions(google it) or bent over barbal rows for the lower back

For me, that made the diffrence between not beeing able to deadlift 1 year ago, and the decent weight i can lift of now, so it should be totally fine for running

hypers are such good excercise

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
jck, i'm looking to get into running. Starting this monday. Do you have any tips for a routine, how to progress, what to avoid etc?
If you can force yourself to go out three times a week then you are good to start doing the thing seriously. At first it might feel like hell and it is perfectly ok to walk a bit to catch up your breath and continue running. Avoid increasing the distance fast, increase gradually and only when you feel that you are comfortable with the distance and you can do it without walking. Rule of thumb is not to increase the distance by more than 10% per week.

We will do another discussion later when you have made some progress and look at the tips I gave in the previous post.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
All back problems that come from running are caused by a weak core.

And to avoid other problems when running go for minimalistic shoes, run on your toes, make sure you have a straight up upper body, push your body up when releasing the foot on the ground and kick your arms back at each strode.
What do you mean "push your body up"?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I'm still running 5-6 times a week...between 5-7 miles each time. Also changed my diet to a much more protein based foods.

None of that "supplement" bullshit...doing this old school.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
So instead of striding, propel yourself?
Landing on your heels is just wrong, very wrong and will cause injuries eventually. Landing on your toes gives this spring effect and that's where the minimalistic shoes come in handy as it will avoid heel contact with the ground due to the low heel to toe drop. I run with 4mm drops nowadays and I am aiming to zero drop shoes.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
If you can force yourself to go out three times a week then you are good to start doing the thing seriously. At first it might feel like hell and it is perfectly ok to walk a bit to catch up your breath and continue running. Avoid increasing the distance fast, increase gradually and only when you feel that you are comfortable with the distance and you can do it without walking. Rule of thumb is not to increase the distance by more than 10% per week.

We will do another discussion later when you have made some progress and look at the tips I gave in the previous post.
Cool. The intended result of this running is to drop 4-6 kg and quit smoking ultimately. Think I'll run Monday / Wed / Friday at 2 pm since i never smoke before doing anything.

i had a pair of nike free run 5.0 but i forgot them in my hotelroom in paris, so i'll have to do with indoor badminton shoes :shifty:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I too decided to join a gym and hit the weights for the first time in my life, any tips, things to avoid, things i should do as a beginner.
i recommand training 2 times per week, not more, and 1 excercise per muscle group

first day upper body something like

bench press (chest)
dumbell press (shoulder)
lateral pulldown (back)
one bicep and one tricep excercise

do 3 sets of 12 reps, dont bother the weight, fuck that, bother about getting the excercise right.

before the weights, do 10 minutes warmup on a bike or trendmill or moonwalker

after, doe 20-30 minute cardio on a preferred machine (i prefer bike)

do that for 8 to 12 weeks

like this, your body adapts to weights, and you wont stress the muscle to much. in the beginning, you lack strenght in positional muscles, doing it light enables them to grow

dont let people help you if you are stuck at the 5th rep to do 7 more, thats only works in 5*15exhaust schedules, for a beginner, its the best way to injure yourself

dont bother supplements, eat right

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Landing on your heels is just wrong, very wrong and will cause injuries eventually. Landing on your toes gives this spring effect and that's where the minimalistic shoes come in handy as it will avoid heel contact with the ground due to the low heel to toe drop. I run with 4mm drops nowadays and I am aiming to zero drop shoes.
Oh right, I run the wrong way. My calves kill when I run on my toes.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
i recommand training 2 times per week, not more, and 1 excercise per muscle group

first day upper body something like

bench press (chest)
dumbell press (shoulder)
lateral pulldown (back)
one bicep and one tricep excercise

do 3 sets of 12 reps, dont bother the weight, fuck that, bother about getting the excercise right.

before the weights, do 10 minutes warmup on a bike or trendmill or moonwalker

after, doe 20-30 minute cardio on a preferred machine (i prefer bike)

do that for 8 to 12 weeks

like this, your body adapts to weights, and you wont stress the muscle to much. in the beginning, you lack strenght in positional muscles, doing it light enables them to grow

dont let people help you if you are stuck at the 5th rep to do 7 more, thats only works in 5*15exhaust schedules, for a beginner, its the best way to injure yourself

dont bother supplements, eat right

Thank you Zach.

For the bolded part, you mean that for evry exercice i should do 12 repitition for 3 series ??

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Oh right, I run the wrong way. My calves kill when I run on my toes.
Of course but it only makes them stronger and with time they will stop to hurt. It only means they are weak now and to make them stronger you have to run on your toes. I had the same problem when I first started.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 20)