Gym and fitness (37 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
What is cardio ? Baby dont hurt me ?

A regular person who walks around has a normally conditionned muscle.
This means that the muscle is big enough to carry out the basic task of walking without causing notable increased heartrate. It doest cause microtrauma, it doesnt trigger the body to burn fat or sugar to fuel this movement.

Offcourse, if that person does 20km walks, this changes as the acid build up in the muscle will promote a very slight increased response to build muscle. But just for walking, nothing very special.

Now, for this normal person, cardio means the following :
You are doing an activity with your legs whilst maintaining your heartrate at 80%max. Because your muscles are normally conditionned, this doesnt cause microtrauma, because the heartrate is controlled, you will moderately burn sugar, and after a while start burning fat because of the slow need of fuelling.

Now in these conditions, the body acts mainly catabolic. You will burn fat to sustain the contraction. A key element to cardio is the resistance. Cardio means you want to start using fat for fuel. But if the resistance is to high, the watt your muscles must produce is to high, and the body will gladly continue to burn only sugar.
Because there is nearly no resistance, there is no microtrauma. Yes, the lactic acid buildup triggers IG response, but its not worth mentionning.

So our regular person, burns fat, and cannot build muscle.

Now, what this idiot douchebag strawman swagcuntdeluxe does, is taking results from studies on people who are NOT normally contidionned. If you arent normally conditionned, first off all the muscle is to small. Meaning youll get microtrauma, and the workload is very high, meaning no fatburning but sugarburning instead. And massive lactic acid buildup, combined with microtrauma, causing a small increase in size.
A second thing is, that if you start sporting regularly, you'll retain more water in the muscle, wich can lead to minor size increase even for regular men.

He then starts with a blatant lie and a fact. If you want to grow muscle, you need to increase intensity, but go anaerobic to get hypertrophy.

In my current volume blocks, i work with short pauzes between sets so the muscle cant keep recovering in time, becomes anaerobic, turns hypertrophic, whilst burning a crapton of calories.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Only if you weight over 100kg, and got very little muscle

Note: for those who say "more muscle burns more calories", thats only true when taxed at a same percentage max.

10kg muscles taxed at 70% > 1kg muscles taxed at 70%
However
10kg muscles taxed with 200watt performance < 1kg muscles taxed with 200 watt performance, cause the percentage will be much higher.

Walking falls into the second category.
Walking is much better than if you sit in an office all day and then go to the gym.

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
After a six month sabbatical, I'm finally going back to the gym. A nice gym this time, not one full of lowlifes and a mixed smell of fart and sweat.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
You talked about muscles.
Correct. And the conclusion is walking is good.

I actually advice people to not go to the gym all the time. Waste of money considering what they want to achieve. If you dont want to pack muscle, or dont enjoy cardio for 35euro/month indoor in front of a tv screen and sweaty men staring at your curves, then gym isnt for you.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
What is cardio ? Baby dont hurt me ?

A regular person who walks around has a normally conditionned muscle.
This means that the muscle is big enough to carry out the basic task of walking without causing notable increased heartrate. It doest cause microtrauma, it doesnt trigger the body to burn fat or sugar to fuel this movement.

Offcourse, if that person does 20km walks, this changes as the acid build up in the muscle will promote a very slight increased response to build muscle. But just for walking, nothing very special.

Now, for this normal person, cardio means the following :
You are doing an activity with your legs whilst maintaining your heartrate at 80%max. Because your muscles are normally conditionned, this doesnt cause microtrauma, because the heartrate is controlled, you will moderately burn sugar, and after a while start burning fat because of the slow need of fuelling.

Now in these conditions, the body acts mainly catabolic. You will burn fat to sustain the contraction. A key element to cardio is the resistance. Cardio means you want to start using fat for fuel. But if the resistance is to high, the watt your muscles must produce is to high, and the body will gladly continue to burn only sugar.
Because there is nearly no resistance, there is no microtrauma. Yes, the lactic acid buildup triggers IG response, but its not worth mentionning.

So our regular person, burns fat, and cannot build muscle.

Now, what this idiot douchebag strawman swagcuntdeluxe does, is taking results from studies on people who are NOT normally contidionned. If you arent normally conditionned, first off all the muscle is to small. Meaning youll get microtrauma, and the workload is very high, meaning no fatburning but sugarburning instead. And massive lactic acid buildup, combined with microtrauma, causing a small increase in size.
A second thing is, that if you start sporting regularly, you'll retain more water in the muscle, wich can lead to minor size increase even for regular men.

He then starts with a blatant lie and a fact. If you want to grow muscle, you need to increase intensity, but go anaerobic to get hypertrophy.

In my current volume blocks, i work with short pauzes between sets so the muscle cant keep recovering in time, becomes anaerobic, turns hypertrophic, whilst burning a crapton of calories.
Honestly, I don't understand your explanation here too much, but it sounds sensible :D

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Idk, I do think cardio builds muscle. Especially explosive cardio. So many players have huge legs and same goes for cyclists. I may be wrong but I have seen results in leg size from playing consistently and sprinting.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Honestly, I don't understand your explanation here too much, but it sounds sensible :D
To summarise, if you have underdevelopped muscle, it will grow from contracting it. You wont be doing actual cardio.

example, you tell earth to gtfo and go to space for a decade. You never experience gravity. Your legmuscles severely decline. You come back after a decade, and can barely walk cause no muscle. You try to walk, and your heartrate goes trough the roof. Because the relative workload you give those allmost muscleless legs, is about the same when i walk around with a 200kg squat bar on my back.

Its a huge task for the muscle, it will burn sugar as fuck, to support that poor muscle. The muscle will endure significant trauma, but it will grow from the recovery.

According to his explenation "hey 80% heartrate, its cardio !"

According to mine, its receiving strenght training by just walking

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Idk, I do think cardio builds muscle. Especially explosive cardio. So many players have huge legs and same goes for cyclists. I may be wrong but I have seen results in leg size from playing consistently and sprinting.
Because thats not actual cardio.

"cardio" means you force your body to burn fat to fuell your movement instead of sugar.
To do so you must reach and maintain 80%max heartrate, wich minimal resistance

Sprint cyclysts and sprinters, have huge legs because they can push huge wattages. Tom boonen can push 500watt in a demmarage.

They use 100% sugar for that, not fat. It causes muscletrauma aswel.

For this reason, cyclists during the winter do strenght training, with alot of leg presses and leg extentions, whilst football players do other excercises relevant to their mechanics

- - - Updated - - -

But they didn't say who they did the tests on, whether they were undeveloped weaklings, or beasts like you and I.
My legs wont grow 1 mili inch from actual cardio. Because actual cardio is catabolic without muscle trauma. This makes it impossible to grow

He didnt say it, but i've seen a few of those tests before. And i know how these tests go. They are a shame for science. Literally influencing the result in some way to then write a rapport and try to get some name.
Allmost allways its linked with food science or diets, cause that sells

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Unless you take steroids/testosterone, or insuline shots(fucking fools who do it), you can NOT increase muscles without muscle trauma. Its essential to trigger the response

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
No problem :)

Swimming/running and biking can build muscle offcourse, if underdevelopped or after grave injury

For example, there are many athletes and non athletes, who after certain grave injuries need to swim as a threatment. Because swimming slowly is the least stressfull, or because its certain muscles used to propell forward during swimming.

I think people who have been in a wheelchair for very long who learn to walk, do this in a pool first. Cause to much stress at once causes macrotrauma. Tears.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)