Gym and fitness (61 Viewers)

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Guys, when out running, are long runs at mid pace or shorter runs at a faster pace better for building stamina?
start off with building stamina, do what i am doing and go for a 5/1 split, run(ok jog...ok walk fast) for 5 minutes then rest by walking for 1 minute...this will ease you into it and help you get your stamina back.
i am doing fairly well and am now doing 7k in the time it was taking me to do 5,eventually i want to do the splits with 5 minutes running and 1 minute sprinting to really burn the fat but would probably have a coronary if i tried that now

Buy on AliExpress.com

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Damn, sounds like hard work.

I'm just needing the most basic levels of fitness to get back, then I can build up properly by training and playing.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
start off with building stamina, do what i am doing and go for a 5/1 split, run(ok jog...ok walk fast) for 5 minutes then rest by walking for 1 minute...this will ease you into it and help you get your stamina back.
i am doing fairly well and am now doing 7k in the time it was taking me to do 5,eventually i want to do the splits with 5 minutes running and 1 minute sprinting to really burn the fat but would probably have a coronary if i tried that now
True, you could do that. But that would mean that those 5 minutes of running you do are at a pretty high pace as you get lots of time to recover.

Geof

May 14, 2004
If you have a mate to do it with you, a good old run-bike-run is also a very good to have interval effort. You basically run at a high pace for a couple of minutes while the other guys bikes next to you, then you change around. It's quite fun, auto-motivating and also nice as you cover more distance.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
True, you could do that. But that would mean that those 5 minutes of running you do are at a pretty high pace as you get lots of time to recover.
tbh it sounds like he has let his fitness levels drop so this would eb a good way to get his basic levels back up. it is not for your average fitness fanatic,but if he is attempting to get a base-level of fitness then this is a good way to go about it

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
tbh it sounds like he has let his fitness levels drop so this would eb a good way to get his basic levels back up. it is not for your average fitness fanatic,but if he is attempting to get a base-level of fitness then this is a good way to go about it
agreed, there is no harm in starting off slowly and building yourself up, sometimes if you push yourself too hard you can end up with an injury

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
So I'm starting gym on Monday and I pan to go on mornings from sometime between 5.00 - 6.30. I'm 6' and 150 lbs. What I want is to get more defined first, then build up slightly, especially my arms and legs. Any advice on exercise routine and diet?

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
personally i recommend doing both at the same time... that is building and toning. If you want to build fast you can train a different muscle everyday eg: biceps triceps... then quads hamstrings.. then lats abs and then start on your biceps and triceps the next day because they would have recovered by then. Make sure you can do around 8 - 12 reps only with weights, no more no less, and use slow repetitions with good form.
Before you do each weights workout go for a 30 minute run. To lose fat and tone up thers no better thing than jogging and its very easy to improve quickly, don't be discouraged if you feel unfit the first time.
With diet, i take whey protein powder mixed with water AFTER every muscle workout. If you do use protein concentrates its important to look for whey, its the hardest protein for the body to store as fat. If you don't want to get on the protein shakes eat protein rich foods like tuna, steak, chicken, spinach, egg whites and even cheese sometimes.
If you need help to find some good muscle building exercises without machines go no further than this guy http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961.. he's kinda weird but he knows his stuff.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
personally i recommend doing both at the same time... that is building and toning. If you want to build fast you can train a different muscle everyday eg: biceps triceps... then quads hamstrings.. then lats abs and then start on your biceps and triceps the next day because they would have recovered by then. Make sure you can do around 8 - 12 reps only with weights, no more no less, and use slow repetitions with good form.
Before you do each weights workout go for a 30 minute run. To lose fat and tone up thers no better thing than jogging and its very easy to improve quickly, don't be discouraged if you feel unfit the first time.
With diet, i take whey protein powder mixed with water AFTER every muscle workout. If you do use protein concentrates its important to look for whey, its the hardest protein for the body to store as fat. If you don't want to get on the protein shakes eat protein rich foods like tuna, steak, chicken, spinach, egg whites and even cheese sometimes.
If you need help to find some good muscle building exercises without machines go no further than this guy http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961.. he's kinda weird but he knows his stuff.
Run 15 minutes instead of 30, but run harder. It's more fun, takes less time and gets you all fired up. After a 30 minute run I'm not interested in weights anymore.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
I started going the gym about 2.5 weeks ago and I'm doing plyometrics three times a week. I'm losing weight and sore, and I feel great :tup:

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
awesome

how's the meal plan working for you?
I kinda improvised on the stuff I have (I'm poor and I ran out of the food my mom cooked).

I have cereal in the morning with 2% milk. Then I have 2 chicken nuggets around noon and then I have fishsticks about 2hrs later. Then I eat a combo of the both around evening time followed by 2 kebabs for dinner. All that with corn or mixed vegetables. Friday's is my cheat day (boy do I enjoy it)

It's probably not the recommended way but it's working for me :confused:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
I kinda improvised on the stuff I have (I'm poor and I ran out of the food my mom cooked).

I have cereal in the morning with 2% milk. Then I have 2 chicken nuggets around noon and then I have fishsticks about 2hrs later. Then I eat a combo of the both around evening time followed by 2 kebabs for dinner. All that with corn or mixed vegetables. Friday's is my cheat day (boy do I enjoy it)

It's probably not the recommended way but it's working for me :confused:
Dude, stop with the fried stuff. That's no good! Get some tuna or grilled chicken. It's fairly cheap. You can get a lot of chicken for a decent price. Switch up the corn to a green veggie. They have more nutritional value.

A good recipe for grilled chicken. Throw the chicken in a sandwich bag with Greek salad dressing and pepper. Let it marinate for an hour or longer, then cook it on the stove top. Do this in bulk and you can slice some of the chicken up for sandwiches or just to eat like the nuggets.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Dude, stop with the fried stuff. That's no good! Get some tuna or grilled chicken. It's fairly cheap. You can get a lot of chicken for a decent price. Switch up the corn to a green veggie. They have more nutritional value.

A good recipe for grilled chicken. Throw the chicken in a sandwich bag with Greek salad dressing and pepper. Let it marinate for an hour or longer, then cook it on the stove top. Do this in bulk and you can slice some of the chicken up for sandwiches or just to eat like the nuggets.
Aight. I'm going shopping this weekend so I'll pick that up.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Well its not advisable to overwork the body & go to gym everyday!The body needs to rest in order to grow,strained muscles is a big possibility.

TIP - When i had to lose weight,i would take about 7 diff veggies & put it through a juicer & drink the veggie juice immediatey(carrots,celery,cucumber,spinach,beetroot,tomato & green peppers) it melts away belly fat!Thats if u have resolve & stick to a balanced & healthy diet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 59)