Guitar thread (1 Viewer)

CR 7

The D.I.L.F
Sep 16, 2003
I'm thinking about getting a starter guitar for my son in a couple of years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And don't say "Fender Stratocaster with a Whammy Bar"

That would be for me if I decide to learn how to play :D

s4tch

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 23, 2015
i bought an ibanez mikro for my son. he's not even 3, and i have no idea if he's ever going to have the intention to play guitar, still, it's a fun instrument even for adults.

according to my luthier buddy, most short-scale guitars would do the trick, these are basically all the same regarding qc, usability and tuning/upgrade potential: squier mini strat, ibanez mikro, jackson minion series, esp/ltd junior, whatever. these are mostly made in china for their sub-$150 price, still, after a pro setup, a short scale guitar will offer acceptable tuning stability and nice tones. amp-wise, pick whatever you like, a roland cube, a yamaha thr or a line6 spider practice amp might be fine.

the attached pic shows the one i got for my kid (the guitar below is my 25,5" scale jackson slsmg for size comparison)

Attachments

CR 7

The D.I.L.F
Sep 16, 2003

i bought an ibanez mikro for my son. he's not even 3, and i have no idea if he's ever going to have the intention to play guitar, still, it's a fun instrument even for adults.

according to my luthier buddy, most short-scale guitars would do the trick, these are basically all the same regarding qc, usability and tuning/upgrade potential: squier mini strat, ibanez mikro, jackson minion series, esp/ltd junior, whatever. these are mostly made in china for their sub-$150 price, still, after a pro setup, a short scale guitar will offer acceptable tuning stability and nice tones. amp-wise, pick whatever you like, a roland cube, a yamaha thr or a line6 spider practice amp might be fine.

the attached pic shows the one i got for my kid (the guitar below is my 25,5" scale jackson slsmg for size comparison)
Thank you :tup:

It's either Guitar or the Drums for him.

I am/was a piano player, so I would like him to try something different. If he gravitates towards the piano, then so be it.

CrimsonianKing

CL Trophy Incoming...
Jan 16, 2013
I'm thinking about getting a starter guitar for my son in a couple of years. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And don't say "Fender Stratocaster with a Whammy Bar"

That would be for me if I decide to learn how to play :D
If you haven't yet, classics can never go wrong. Fender or Gibson. Don't give him a shit $200 guitar, you don't want to spend a shitload either so buy something in the medium range. $500 should do the job.

CR 7

The D.I.L.F
Sep 16, 2003
so, did you pick anything for your son?
If you haven't yet, classics can never go wrong. Fender or Gibson. Don't give him a shit $200 guitar, you don't want to spend a shitload either so buy something in the medium range. $500 should do the job.
Not yet. He turns 2 on Saturday so it will be another year before I am serious about it.

He does appreciate music, though. That is a good first step.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
I own a Fender T-Bucket 300 CE, which is a 200-300$ guitar depending on the deal you get, yet I cannot say a bad word about it, I've made tons more money with it than the guitar is worth :D Budget guitars are tricky, but you can buy a good instrument if you know what you're looking for.

Though I have to say that I've had it for 5-6 years and I will start looking for something new soon, as I've made some damage by picking fat strings that made it bend the wrong way a bit and my wife recently broke off one of the tuning cranks, poor Tanya will pass away soon :(

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
spent the last 5 hours trying to self-teach ukulele. my hand is pretty much a claw at this point, but I think I got a grip on Here Comes The Sun :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)