Greatest player of all time and why (3 Viewers)

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Maradona in his book said he preferred to watch DP more than Zidane because DP played with more heart, he seemed to enjoy it more than ZZ did

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
discussions doesnt even start until zidane can win a scudetto with napoli, irony here is you are sounding like the very same people you dislike: the messi fanboys. Maradona can pass, score, and dribble better than zidane. Not to mention he always carried his teams no matter how bad or good. Zidane one of the greats? yes, one of the best midfielders ever? sure, but best ever? heck hes not even top 10 for me.
I agree with the fact that for you Zidane is not even top 10 as I would appreciate it if you agree that he is all time best in my opinion.

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
No that was Ronaldo, but Romario was pretty close and didnt had such dramatic events in his career, as illustrated in that crapton of goals
If you compare individual skills and talent itself Romário was by far the best player of the two. Better finisher, better dribbler, better at headers, better vision and sense of positioning, quicker and more clinical. And had something only the greats had, magical power. Some of the stuff he did you just couldn't believe it, just like Maradona.

9 out of 10 Brazilians who are old enough and watched both will tell you the same. Now Achievements wise they're pretty equal.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
If you compare individual skills and talent itself Romário was by far the best player of the two. Better finisher, better dribbler, better at headers, better vision and sense of positioning, quicker and more clinical. And had something only the greats had, magical power. Some of the stuff he did you just couldn't believe it, just like Maradona.

9 out of 10 Brazilians who are old enough and watched both will tell you the same. Now Achievements wise they're pretty equal.
I cant agree on the quicker and better dribbeling i'm afraid. Ronaldo had that magical power aswel, but kinda lost it when after those two knee injuries.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
hater status would be bringing in elements that have nothing to do with the argument: coke usage. But that is normal since you really cant argue diego's talent, which confirms my position.

in no order top 10: platini, garrincha, beckenbauer, pele, cruyff, ronaldo, di stefano, ronaldinho, maradona, romario
Replace Ronaldinho with Zidane or Baggio and we can agree.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
I cant agree on the quicker and better dribbeling i'm afraid. Ronaldo had that magical power aswel, but kinda lost it when after those two knee injuries.
You might like Ronaldo more but individually there's no comparison really. When describing Romário... He had the predator goals scoring skills of a true number 9 with the vision and magical tricks of a number 10. Not trying to diminish Ronaldo's career but he was just a number 9, a spectacular one.

Some stuff he managed to pull off Ronaldo could only dream of. He was nowhere close to a better dribbler than Romário. The latter is on the same level as Garrincha and Ronaldinho.

A friend posted this a couple weeks ago, it's a good compilation of what he could do. There was much more to him than what is shown in this video of course.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
What a player, one of my all time favorites. What an awesome group of players it used to be... At the moment only Di Maria from the younger players is someone I love to watch just for watching a player play.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
discussions doesnt even start until zidane can win a scudetto with napoli, irony here is you are sounding like the very same people you dislike: the messi fanboys. Maradona can pass, score, and dribble better than zidane. Not to mention he always carried his teams no matter how bad or good. Zidane one of the greats? yes, one of the best midfielders ever? sure, but best ever? heck hes not even top 10 for me.
No one played the game with his elegance, no one that I have watched anyways. He is the only player to completely mezmerize me and therefore he is the best in my book.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
You might like Ronaldo more but individually there's no comparison really. When describing Romário... He had the predator goals scoring skills of a true number 9 with the vision and magical tricks of a number 10. Not trying to diminish Ronaldo's career but he was just a number 9, a spectacular one.

Some stuff he managed to pull off Ronaldo could only dream of. He was nowhere close to a better dribbler than Romário. The latter is on the same level as Garrincha and Ronaldinho.

A friend posted this a couple weeks ago, it's a good compilation of what he could do. There was much more to him than what is shown in this video of course.

I can see you are a massive fan of romario. And i will agree with you, that i miss players like him so very much in this boring modern football.
I will always agree he's a legend.

However, there are things we cannot agree on

Romario came to PSV aged 22. Remained there for 5 seasons, scoring 31 in all competitions twice. But he was allready 22. Went to barcelona, scored 32 in 47.
Impressive numbers, wich could have been much higher if he went to a better team sooner. But now lets see Ronaldo

Ronaldo was just 17 when he came to PSV, turning 18 late september. Despite beeing 4 years younger then Romario, who had 3 senior seasons before, compared to 1 for Ronaldo, he immediatly, in his first season, scored 35 goals in 34 games. More then Romario ever did.
After an injury, went to barcelona, scored an astonishing 47 goals in 49 games. He is still just 20 years old ! 2 years younger then when romario came to PSV.
Went to a very bad inter. Made them scudetto challengers, won the eufa cup humilliating Nesta and Nedved.

Tore his knee ligaments, when he was just 23. And thats when it ended.

I'm sorry, but Before tearing his knee up, Ronaldo was plain better then Romario ever was. He was the phenomenon, and one could only wonder how much more incredible his career would have been, if he had remained injury free, or with better medical threatment.

CrimsonianKing

Jan 16, 2013
What a player, one of my all time favorites. What an awesome group of players it used to be... At the moment only Di Maria from the younger players is someone I love to watch just for watching a player play.
Indeed, you've no idea how much i miss those times. That was true Football where good player were truly good. When a player like Bale becomes one of the best around shows you how the overall quality of the sport is low nowadays.

There are still some good players around like Messi/Ronaldo to keep the flame alive but like Baggio said a few years ago, it's such a shame the Football world decided to embrace the English way of playing.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see you are a massive fan of romario. And i will agree with you, that i miss players like him so very much in this boring modern football.
I will always agree he's a legend.

However, there are things we cannot agree on

Romario came to PSV aged 22. Remained there for 5 seasons, scoring 31 in all competitions twice. But he was allready 22. Went to barcelona, scored 32 in 47.
Impressive numbers, wich could have been much higher if he went to a better team sooner. But now lets see Ronaldo

Ronaldo was just 17 when he came to PSV, turning 18 late september. Despite beeing 4 years younger then Romario, who had 3 senior seasons before, compared to 1 for Ronaldo, he immediatly, in his first season, scored 35 goals in 34 games. More then Romario ever did.
After an injury, went to barcelona, scored an astonishing 47 goals in 49 games. He is still just 20 years old ! 2 years younger then when romario came to PSV.
Went to a very bad inter. Made them scudetto challengers, won the eufa cup humilliating Nesta and Nedved.

Tore his knee ligaments, when he was just 23. And thats when it ended.

I'm sorry, but Before tearing his knee up, Ronaldo was plain better then Romario ever was. He was the phenomenon, and one could only wonder how much more incredible his career would have been, if he had remained injury free, or with better medical threatment.
You seem to have missed the whole point, i was comparing individual brilliance, how good with the ball one was. Romário played Futvôlei at the beaches of Rio, if you don't know what that is it's a game that involves nothing but skills and tricks. That's why most of the time a Futsal player will be more skilled and have much more flair than a regular Footballer. Those are two Football-inspired sports Brazilians play to this day and one of the reasons they've always been so skilled.

Romário was an acrobat, a magician that would get past 3 defenders and dribble past the gk while having an open goal he wouldn't score but go back and dribble past the gk once or twice instead, just for the fun. That's how he was. He always went for the hard goals, the beautiful ones. Why score easy goals if you can do it in such brilliant ways.

You're trying to compare careers, not individual talent. And really? Are you really gonna bring goals into this argument? Cause well, let's just say Ronaldo would have to score another 400. :lol:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Indeed, you've no idea how much i miss those times. That was true Football where good player were truly good. When a player like Bale becomes one of the best around shows you how the overall quality of the sport is low nowadays.

There are still some good players around like Messi/Ronaldo to keep the flame alive but like Baggio said a few years ago, it's such a shame the Football world decided to embrace the English way of playing.

- - - Updated - - -

You seem to have missed the whole point, i was comparing individual brilliance, how good with the ball one was. Romário played Futvôlei at the beaches of Rio, if you don't know what that is it's a game that involves nothing but skills and tricks. That's why most of the time a Futsal player will be more skilled and have much more flair than a regular Footballer. Those are two Football-inspired sports Brazilians play to this day and one of the reasons they've always been so skilled.

Romário was an acrobat, a magician that would get past 3 defenders and dribble past the gk while having an open goal he wouldn't score but go back and dribble past the gk once or twice instead, just for the fun. That's how he was. He always went for the hard goals, the beautiful ones. Why score easy goals if you can do it in such brilliant ways.

You're trying to compare careers, not individual talent. And really? Are you really gonna bring goals into this argument? Cause well, let's just say Ronaldo would have to score another 400. :lol:
You continiue to miss the entire point. I have stated a few times now, that i'm talking about the Ronaldo BEFORE his injury, so how exactly am i comparing careers ? I'm doing the opposite. In the few years in that time period, Ronaldo stormed the world. He was individually better, but a different type of, player.

Ronaldo had an average career compared to the potential he had, to the player he was between 94 and 99. He was a ghost of his former self when he came back from the second tear.

If Ronaldo would have remained injury free and remained in europe till his 32th, he'd score that additional 400 without having to go back to brazil ;)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
ßöмßäяðîëя;4572313 said:
Mine is Gerd Müller, look at his club and national strike record, enough said.
it was obvious to me when i saw your nickname :D. amazing player. the guy scored for fun. he has more goals than games for the German NT, too bad he retired early (from the NT)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)