Greatest player of all time and why (6 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
again? you mean we had dp vs zizou arguments before?
I wonder if other clubs' fans have discussions like this. I mean, do Milanistas ever argue about like "who's more valuable to Milan? Kaka' or Pirlo?"

Anyway, I don't believe that there's such thing as best player of ALL TIMES. I believe there's only the best player of a certain era/generation...

- Pele
- Maradona
- Zidane

Simple.

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
Apr 22, 2005
My god this thread paints a very bleek picture! Just look at the level of discussion in the first page, and then compare it to the second!

Thanks Burke!! :faq1:

:D
Seriously. . I was actually looking forward to the 2nd page . . Then BOOM! Welcome to Idiotsville

JuveAdam

Moggi santo..subito
Sep 12, 2006
Alessandro Del Piero. I feel, at age thirty that I can say this, knowing whole-heartedly that I will feel no greater affection or appreciation for any other player, past or present. I have seen better footballers, such as Maradona, who’s skills were truly breathtaking. I have seen better goalscorers, Marco Van Basten, even the eternally frustrating Fillipo Inzaghi. My appreciation of Del Piero transcends sport. I admire him greatly as a player, believing him to be both more effective and more consistent than many of his peers such as Zidane and Totti. I also admire him as a man, his dignity, loyalty and professionalism are sadly lacking in most current players. His contributions, ranging from being “the man” in the years 1996 to 1998, to being only a squad player by 2005 under Fabio Crapello, to leading us back to A as top scorer last term. However there are two actions that stand out from many in his glorious career.

Firstly is his role at the 2006 FIFA World Cup. Ale accepted his role as a substitute with a wonderful sense of professionalism and a firmly held belief that his chance would come. This was typified by two incidents. Francesco Totti’s winning penalty, late in the second round match against Australia is the first. Ale ran fully fifty yards to be the first player to celebrate with the scorer - the very player in his starting slot, and beloved number ten shirt. Secondly was the semi final match versus the hosts, Germany. Upon being told yet again he would not be starting, he responded in the greatest possible manner. After being thrown on for the central midfielder Perrotta, he covers the defensive role perfectly, then in an azzurri counter attack, runs the length of the pitch to hit a first time curler into the top corner, despite constant knocks & comments on his age, lack of pace etc, he catches & overtakes the much younger Gila. Two nil Italy, game over.

Lastly is the example he set as captain during the Calciopoli scandal later that same summer, never once complaining at all he had lost, never bemoaning team mates for abandoning la vecchia signora at her most vulnerable moment. When other high profile players demanded transfers, Ale remained silent. At just the right time, when Juventini across the globe despaired at the demise of our illustrious club, up stepped our captain. He pledged his undying loyalty to the club, & its tifosi. He told stories of his first bianconeri shirt as a child & of the sense of belonging it gave him. The pride he takes in being called our "bandiera", his part in the large Juve flag, along with each & every fan of the club. Here was possibly our greatest hero, a World Cup winner, talking as one of us, a true fan.

For these selfless acts, for these two instances of loyalty, love & devotion, I can say this man, this player, as Muhammed Ali would have it, truly is

“The Greatest of All Times”

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
Cruyff.

Arguably the greatest football brain ever.
good call but only top 5 imo

In another life, Batistuta. He was quality.
i always feel batigol was a bit like one of my favourites ever zico, top quality but forgotten due to teh fact he was not a world cup winner. in a bettter argentina team or at juve he would have been widely regarded as the best of his generation. seriously its mainly watching him that i got into watching serie a...well him and baggio

ßömßäяdîëя;1461508 said:
Of all time?

There are 50 players that did more than he.

I say Gerd Mueller.

Why:

Look at his WC, German NT, and Bundesliga scoring records.

Perhaps the best striker to ever live. Def better than DelPie.
gerd muller was undoubtedly one of the best ever

for me though it would have to be pele, just ahead of maradonna but not by much

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Are you saying the DP would of been a greater footballer than Pelé, Maradona and Zidane had he not been plagued by injuries?
Maybe. I'd even say probably (at least as good as them, seeing as he used to kinda outshine Zidane in his Juve days).

I've said it a lot of times: that question is going to be one of the first ones I'll ask God, after I die :D

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Maybe. I'd even say probably (at least as good as them, seeing as he used to kinda outshine Zidane in his Juve days).

I've said it a lot of times: that question is going to be one of the first ones I'll ask God, after I die :D
It's an interesting theory. But what if you end up downstairs?

Apr 12, 2004
Me. Not trying to be funny. If I wasn't injured all the time, I would be the best.
Man...but you too gangsta cappin' off dem sucka playa haters, holmes....you gotta stop smoking the lie and get on a jack and tell all your homies that you got burned with the germ.
Are you saying the DP would of been a greater footballer than Pelé, Maradona and Zidane had he not been plagued by injuries?
If he is, he needs his head examined.

Apr 12, 2004

Bro......there is no god.
Then in terms of a true definition, he would have commited a sin by not holding that there was one true God, those that believe in the Devil as a main structure of religion are multi-deists. Strictly speaking though.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Naah, I have connections :eyebrows:

ßömßäяdîëя;1462107 said:
If he is, he needs his head examined.
Well, I haven't slept for a long time, so... u might have a point.

ßömßäяdîëя;1462110 said:
Bro......there is no god.
I'm not your fuckin' bro, bro :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)