Global Financial Crisis (4 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Yep, new "Bank Term Funding Program" created.

Federal Reserve Board announces it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors

To support American businesses and households, the Federal Reserve Board on Sunday announced it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors. This action will bolster the capacity of the banking system to safeguard deposits and ensure the ongoing provision of money and credit to the economy.

The Federal Reserve is prepared to address any liquidity pressures that may arise.

The additional funding will be made available through the creation of a new Bank Term Funding Program (BTFP), offering loans of up to one year in length to banks, savings associations, credit unions, and other eligible depository institutions pledging U.S. Treasuries, agency debt and mortgage-backed securities, and other qualifying assets as collateral. These assets will be valued at par. The BTFP will be an additional source of liquidity against high-quality securities, eliminating an institution's need to quickly sell those securities in times of stress.

With approval of the Treasury Secretary, the Department of the Treasury will make available up to $25 billion from the Exchange Stabilization Fund as a backstop for the BTFP. The Federal Reserve does not anticipate that it will be necessary to draw on these backstop funds.

After receiving a recommendation from the boards of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) and the Federal Reserve, Treasury Secretary Yellen, after consultation with the President, approved actions to enable the FDIC to complete its resolutions of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank in a manner that fully protects all depositors, both insured and uninsured. These actions will reduce stress across the financial system, support financial stability and minimize any impact on businesses, households, taxpayers, and the broader economy.

The Board is carefully monitoring developments in financial markets. The capital and liquidity positions of the U.S. banking system are strong and the U.S. financial system is resilient.

Depository institutions may obtain liquidity against a wide range of collateral through the discount window, which remains open and available. In addition, the discount window will apply the same margins used for the securities eligible for the BTFP, further increasing lendable value at the window.

The Board is closely monitoring conditions across the financial system and is prepared to use its full range of tools to support households and businesses, and will take additional steps as appropriate.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20230312a.htm

No industry is every allowed to fail again, only the middle class can lose. Bitcoin up almost 10% on the news :howler:

@Bjerknes @GordoDeCentral

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004

Federal Reserve Board announces it will make available additional funding to eligible depository institutions to help assure banks have the ability to meet the needs of all their depositors

No industry is every allowed to fail again, only the middle class can lose. Bitcoin up almost 10% on the news :howler:

If my company goes out of business is the Fed going to come in and save them? Of course not.

Fuck them all. Nuke this goddamn Ponzi.

- - - Updated - - -

And by the way :howler:

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008

Free market capitalism :touched:

Fun to see a bunch of libertarian VCs call for the gubment to do something when their money is stuck and unironically will go back to big gubment bad in their next podcast appearance.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
That goes without saying, i think these assholes gonna refund all deposits but not salvage the bank and politically claim it as not a bailout.
that’s exactly what will happen. I don’t see the argument to let depositors lose their money since they’re not in a place to assess the riskiness or financial health of a bank. That’s regulators job. Also to mitigate against runs on other banks.

But at the same time the bankers will ride that into wealth. and they’re the ones who made bad calls.

What’s more worrying is that We could still see runs on banks to move money to the big ones despite the treasury’s action. it’s rational to go for larger banks now and avoid the hassle of dealing with a small bank that may or may not be in need of a bail out. Id be moving my money now regardless of what the treasury says. I don’t want the drama

- - - Updated - - -

Free market capitalism :touched:

Fun to see a bunch of libertarian VCs call for the gubment to do something when their money is stuck and unironically will go back to big gubment bad in their next podcast appearance.
Watch this fucker get mad and defensive as he pleads for government action. He has the audacity of saying these companies have real people as employees who won’t get their payroll

https://www.youtube.com/live/ipyybO_OCNE?feature=share

The hilarity and hypocrisy is that this guy is Musks biggest defender and a close friend. Huge VC guy and just a few weeks ago on the same YouTube channel was arguing that other Tech Leaders should take note of how Twitter is still running as normal despite laying off 70% of the staff. He called tech employees as white collar elites and that they wouldn’t have trouble finding employment elsewhere and are just entitled.

He was advocating for more layoffs but now when it’s his VC money on the line he suddenly gives a fuck about the employees :lol:

Last edited:

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
that’s exactly what will happen. I don’t see the argument to let depositors lose their money since they’re not in a place to assess the riskiness or financial health of a bank. That’s regulators job. Also to mitigate against runs on other banks.

But at the same time the bankers will ride that into wealth. and they’re the ones who made bad calls.

What’s more worrying is that We could still see runs on banks to move money to the big ones despite the treasury’s action. it’s rational to go for larger banks now and avoid the hassle of dealing with a small bank that may or may not be in need of a bail out. Id be moving my money now regardless of what the treasury says. I don’t want the drama

- - - Updated - - -

Watch this fucker get mad and defensive as he pleads for government action. He has the audacity of saying these companies have real people as employees who won’t get their payroll

The hilarity and hypocrisy is that this guy is Musks biggest defender and a close friend. Huge VC guy and just a few weeks ago on the same YouTube channel was arguing that other Tech Leaders should take note of how Twitter is still running as normal despite laying off 70% of the staff. He called tech employees as white collar elites and that they wouldn’t have trouble finding employment elsewhere and are just entitled.

He was advocating for more layoffs but now when it’s his VC money on the line he suddenly gives a fuck about the employees :lol:
I knew who it was even before clicking the link :lol2: Sacks is a clown. I listened to a few episodes of his podcast with his friends (All in) around the time of the Twitter acquisition and everything Musk has done post that (layoffs and cost cutting, subscription, :gsol:free speech:gsol:) were something those guys proposed. Bunch of rich guys with paper thin skin who basically wanted a safe space while complaining about snowflakes wanting a safe space. (It's always nice to learn about how different types of people think, in that sense it's actually a good podcast. They are mostly open about how they operate)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

- - - Updated - - -

Actually every single person knows the amount insured by the fed, it's literally the first plastered at the door of every bank. Also we are dealing here with supposed pros with MBAs and such, so the idea that they don't know their exposure to risk here is preposterous.

As for your advice to go to a big bank, i would the opposite. Id look for a credit union.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
Actually every single person knows the amount insured by the fed, it's literally the first plastered at the door of every bank. Also we are dealing here with supposed pros with MBAs and such, so the idea that they don't know their exposure to risk here is preposterous.

As for your advice to go to a big bank, i would the opposite. Id look for a credit union.
If I run a company with a few hundred employees, with vendors to pay, wouldn't it be annoying to split the money into chunks of 250k in different banks and keep track of all that?
(Do credit unions have higher amounts insured in the US?)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
If I run a company with a few hundred employees, with vendors to pay, wouldn't it be annoying to split the money into chunks of 250k in different banks and keep track of all that?
Yes, it would. And there's no reason you should do that. But dumping $1B in a bank account so they could go long on T-bills without an interest rate hedge is financial malpractice. Acting CFOs of all these startups should have their heads roll, let alone the clowns at SVB.

Silicon Valley pisses me off so much because they're myopically obsessed in themselves to the point of willful ignorance. "Why invest money in hedges or diversification options when we can efficiently make so much more with tech company stock or crypto? Banking red tape is for losers."

Meanwhile, a question for the Fed is how much jerking off on interest rates is making less regulated banks insolvent with all their customer deposits.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

Well for one keep track of how leveraged is your bank. And like i told AFL if you want to eliminate that risk altogether open lines of credit against your assets. These guys are pros and if not they should have hired pros.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
They all like a dope addicts.

It reminds me of this:

It's crazy how narratives can change on a dime. From "we need to kill inflation" and "rate hikes for the foreseeable future" to "this isn't a bailout but all deposits will be backed and we're not doing this because the banking system is in trouble, it's fine." This isn't capitalism, it's 100% managed economy garbage.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

Credit union works too. By big banks I meant those that are too big to fail i.e will always get a bailout.

On the 250k insured deposits, that’s peanuts for a business account. Any business worth anything would have bigger deposits and are not in a place to evaluate the credit worthiness of the bank they’re depositing into. SVB had a good reputation until it crashed and I think Moodys had them rated highly too. I can’t fault a business for depositing money there.

if all businesses start seeing simple deposits as a risky endeavour then all smaller banks will crash. That’s the consequence they want to mitigate by the fed action.

I just read a piece by Ben Thompson about what happened and it looks like Peter Thiel might be the biggest instigator of the panic/bank rush. Another friend of Musk and David Sacks :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)