Global Financial Crisis (17 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Credit union works too. By big banks I meant those that are too big to fail i.e will always get a bailout.

On the 250k insured deposits, that’s peanuts for a business account. Any business worth anything would have bigger deposits and are not in a place to evaluate the credit worthiness of the bank they’re depositing into. SVB had a good reputation until it crashed and I think Moodys had them rated highly too. I can’t fault a business for depositing money there.

if all businesses start seeing simple deposits as a risky endeavour then all smaller banks will crash. That’s the consequence they want to mitigate by the fed action.

I just read a piece by Ben Thompson about what happened and it looks like Peter Thiel might be the biggest instigator of the panic/bank rush. Another friend of Musk and David Sacks :lol:
You mean like bart simpson back in the day

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Credit union works too. By big banks I meant those that are too big to fail i.e will always get a bailout.

On the 250k insured deposits, that’s peanuts for a business account. Any business worth anything would have bigger deposits and are not in a place to evaluate the credit worthiness of the bank they’re depositing into. SVB had a good reputation until it crashed and I think Moodys had them rated highly too. I can’t fault a business for depositing money there.

if all businesses start seeing simple deposits as a risky endeavour then all smaller banks will crash. That’s the consequence they want to mitigate by the fed action.

I just read a piece by Ben Thompson about what happened and it looks like Peter Thiel might be the biggest instigator of the panic/bank rush. Another friend of Musk and David Sacks :lol:
Not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that the bond raters were the ones who uncovered this mess, not the regulators. So the Fed is going to conduct a "thorough review" according to J Pow. Again, what is the point of oversight if the regulators aren't doing their job? :lol:

The regulators will just step in and pick their winners and losers. Just let them all fail. There are plenty of startups and tech firms across the country to pick up the slack if silicon valley firms have no money left.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
BLM = rent seeking scam
SIVB = money launderer
Fed = enabler

So much shit in this country just needs to fail. @GordoDeCentral

I'm not sure I'm properly connecting the donations a bank makes to what it invests its customer holdings in.

Chase probably donates to the Westboro Baptist Church in some direct or indirect way. But how does that have any bearing on customer accounts? I don't see the connection.

That's like blaming Bear Stearns' donations to Meals-on-Wheels for the 2008 collapse.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I'm not sure I'm properly connecting the donations a bank makes to what it invests its customer holdings in.

Chase probably donates to the Westboro Baptist Church in some direct or indirect way. But how does that have any bearing on customer accounts? I don't see the connection.

That's like blaming Bear Stearns' donations to Meals-on-Wheels for the 2008 collapse.
Well, maybe if they had that cash they wouldn’t have such a liquidity issue? Who knows. Either way, it’s just stupid.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
That goes without saying, i think these assholes gonna refund all deposits but not salvage the bank and politically claim it as not a bailout.
I understand no one in the US likes the word bailout, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

If the government guarantees people getting their bank deposits, that will build a lot of trust into the financial system. And trust is crucial to prevent economic collapse. In Belgium, and I think in quite a few European countries, it's actually solidified in law that the state has to guarantee (part of) your deposit. A supposed bailout would have to be limited to deposits though, it's not the government's job to lessen your risk if you're investing. And it shouldn't be used to save the bank as an institution either. The bank itself can go bankrupt, as long as clients have access to their savings.

- - - Updated - - -

But using operating capital to cover for customer accounts sounds highly illegal.
I don't think it's realistic to assume those are in fact completely separated.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I understand no one in the US likes the word bailout, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

If the government guarantees people getting their bank deposits, that will build a lot of trust into the financial system. And trust is crucial to prevent economic collapse. In Belgium, and I think in quite a few European countries, it's actually solidified in law that the state has to guarantee (part of) your deposit. A supposed bailout would have to be limited to deposits though, it's not the government's job to lessen your risk if you're investing. And it shouldn't be used to save the bank as an institution either. The bank itself can go bankrupt, as long as clients have access to their savings.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's realistic to assume those are in fact completely separated.
It's moreso the concept of moral hazard, i feel like we are just encouraging more and more risky and destructive behavior. In America too, deposits up to 250k are insured. So you do know that anything above is at risk.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
It's moreso the concept of moral hazard, i feel like we are just encouraging more and more risky and destructive behavior. In America too, deposits up to 250k are insured. So you do know that anything above is at risk.
I think that's probably a good bar to set.

As for the risky and destructive behavior, part of that might also be the very low or even negative interest rates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)