PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
His planning was bad, but something can't be denied: him and his staff (Paratici & co) have a great ability to sign quality players. That's what matter most, obviously.

Morata and Pereyra last season, Rugani (before any other club 2 years ago), Lemina, Sturaro. They have a great eye for talent. (I'm talking about the non hyped ones, like Dybala this season).

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
His planning was bad, but something can't be denied: him and his staff (Paratici & co) have a great ability to sign quality players. That's what matter most, obviously.
That was pretty much my conclusion at the end of the mercato.

There was an awful lot wrong with how business appeared to be conducted over the summer, but ultimately Allegri was given a good squad to work with.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007

Morata and Pereyra last season, Rugani (before any other club 2 years ago), Lemina, Sturaro. They have a great eye for talent. (I'm talking about the non hyped ones, like Dybala this season).
true.

The main issue aside from the whole selling fiasco was that pre season should have started at least a couple of weeks earlier. I think a lot of our problems could have been fixed by having a sharper and more match ready squad.

that and hernanes is ultimate panic buy. bought last minute shows that they have no vision and marotta lied when he said he had given up on draxler before wolfburg signed him on august 29th (otherwise why buy hernanes last minute and not 2-3 weeks before?)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
But what classifies as a panicbuy, how will we define it ?

Panicbuy, imo, is significantly overpaying at the end, to get some player cause you missed out.

Hernanes was a bit of a filler for a position Allegri wanted, but also as a deep playmaker. For wich we paid a reasonable price. While we kinda got Cuadrado as an alternative allready.

I found Matri a panicbuy. All forwards injured, nothing available, so his team made us pay double the price.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't think clubs are so poorly structured that they all of a sudden decide they want a player in the last days of a window. Shortlists will be drawn up and players crossed off once a decision is made one way or another. If Hernanes was the 3rd, 4th or whatever option we don't really know, but he wasn't the 1st option. You need options you can go to who are likely to move, he's a fairly safe bet, if not special.

Matri obviously falls into the category because of what Zach said, but he was probably the #2 choice we wanted at that moment in time. We needed someone who didn't need to settle and could hit the ground running, and Matri at the time was an obvious choice. Di Natale would have been #1, considering that we already went for him in the summer that year and he scored for fun. The other top strikers in the league were already at big rivals.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Marotta has improved a bit,in some sectors,
he still has a strength at free agents, but he must improve his greatest weakness,
Prioritize and decent sales. Aproach established finishers like Rossi, Falcao, Rvp, Dzeko, Higuain etc, is smth that will never accomplish.
So at least i expect him to improve at selling and acquiring priority targets. He has shown some signs if improvement at sales with Ogbonna, but still has a lot to learn, he should better start by stop selling of our youngsters and stop releasing for free players like Llorente.
For prioritization, he has a long road to make, as he still favors quantity over quality,we lose to much, oney amd time on squad players and fail to get the starters we need.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I disagree.

This isnt a case of improving, its a case of phylosophy.

Most clubs with decent finances go for prioritization. Meaning they usually get the type of player they need, but plenty of times spend well to much on it.

Marotta and our entire staff, have a different method. We look for market opportunities, that could improve the team, that are financially interesting. Priority has had its role, but in different ways, and was always inferior to the idea of buying improvements at the right price. The first 3 seasons, we looked to lower age and get the quality we could manage, despite having it very difficult attracting players. In 2013 we changed to priority to "forwards", but we didnt really look for specific type of players. From 2014 onwards, we had a stacked team, and set the priority to young potentials. Again, this priority is inferior to the idea of buying at the right price.

Marotta's phylosophy got us where we are. We could debate wether making playertype priority more important then buying at the right price is a better solution, yes.

But we cant say that Marotta needs to improve in that regard, because its a different phylosophy.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
Break it down. The three guys we lost that had a significant impact on the pitch last year were Tevez, Pirlo, and Vidal. Three of our favourites, and basically our three best players over the last 2-4 years. Also shouldn't forget Kingsley, who would have contributed well this season.

While the loss of Andrea in the dressing room (and in my heart) hurts, IMO we were a better team on the pitch when Marchisio was playing DM. We should also remember that despite being a game changer, Vidal was half crocked and not very good for about 2/3rds of the year. Coman had effectively zero impact on the team last year. Asamoah also missed the season, so if he can return to full health, that is absolutely HUGE.

Carlitos is the biggest loss, obviously. Fuck, do I ever miss watching that guy once or twice a week.

Sooo...

Llorente < Mandzukic
Pirlo < Khedira
De Ceglie < Sandro
Ogbonna < Rugani
Matri < Zaza
Coman < Cuadrado
Storari = Neto (probably biased here, love Marco)

Pylon > Hernanes (j/k)
Tevez > Dybala
Vidal > Lemina

Not all of these guys are quite like for like, or direct replacements, but just to be quick/dirty/general about it.

IMO, there's more quality spread throughout the lineup now. The rough start was down to the injury crisis in midfield, 10 new faces including 4 new attacking players, a shifting tactical setup, and a VERY young core of attackers. Our group also got a slightly late start on training, because the team played in the CL final.

Having Carlitos alone probably would have helped prevent such an atrocious start, because despite not playing very well, the team was also unlucky and profligate in front of net. Carlitos makes his own damn luck, and is deadly in front of goal.

Anyway, if one also considers that so many of our youngsters are improving on an upwards trajectory, I think you can certainly make the argument that there's more talent on the team now than there was last year.

However, the group is young, needs time to gel as a group, strengthen their mentality, and to understand the Juventus way -- so they can realize their potential. Continuity will be key in the short term, but I actually think that this team can still win the league, and you gotta love that CL start!

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Break it down. The three guys we lost that had a significant impact on the pitch last year were Tevez, Pirlo, and Vidal. Three of our favourites, and basically our three best players over the last 2-4 years. Also shouldn't forget Kingsley, who would have contributed well this season.

While the loss of Andrea in the dressing room (and in my heart) hurts, IMO we were a better team on the pitch when Marchisio was playing DM. We should also remember that despite being a game changer, Vidal was half crocked and not very good for about 2/3rds of the year. Coman had effectively zero impact on the team last year. Asamoah also missed the season, so if he can return to full health, that is absolutely HUGE.

Carlitos is the biggest loss, obviously. Fuck, do I ever miss watching that guy once or twice a week.

Sooo...

Llorente < Mandzukic
Pirlo < Khedira
De Ceglie < Sandro
Ogbonna < Rugani
Matri < Zaza
Coman < Cuadrado
Storari = Neto (probably biased here, love Marco)

Pylon > Hernanes (j/k)
Tevez > Dybala
Vidal > Lemina

Not all of these guys are quite like for like, or direct replacements, but just to be quick/dirty/general about it.

IMO, there's more quality spread throughout the lineup now. The rough start was down to the injury crisis in midfield, 10 new faces including 4 new attacking players, a shifting tactical setup, and a VERY young core. Our group also got a slightly late start on training, because the team played in the CL final.

Having Carlitos alone probably would have helped prevent such an atrocious start, because despite not playing very well, the team was also unlucky and profligate in front of net. Carlitos makes his own damn luck, and is deadly in front of goal.

Anyway, if one also considers that so many of our youngsters are improving on an upwards trajectory, I think you can certainly make the argument that there's more talent on the team now than there was last year.

However, the group is young, needs time to gel as a group, strengthen their mentality, and to understand the Juventus way -- so they can realize their potential. Continuity will be key in the short term, but I actually think that this team can still win the league, and you gotta love that CL start!
My boy Rollie once again, knocking it out of the fucking ballpark!

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
My boy Rollie once again, knocking it out of the fucking ballpark!
My man. This fan base needs to demonstrate a little more confidence (Pazienza, also)!

And seriously, how much fun is it to watch this group develop and evolve the past couple of matches?! We have some serious, serious young talent on board.

Once Marchi gets back, Asa stays fit, Alex Sandro is a little more integrated in the lineup, and the lads continue to improve that fluidity up top -- this team is going to be an absolute force.

In my opinion. :p

Oh, and Pogba! Once Paul returns to form, watch out!

- - - Updated - - -

Also forgot about Licht/Caceres... we need some help at RB, that's for sure.

Even if Barzagli is legend. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)