MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
I think that was definitely a big part of the equation, for sure. I also think management initially balked at that 40M price tag in the winter mercato, and then like you said, by the end of the season they had decided on 4-2-3-1. But by the summer Bayern had entered the mix, so even if we had wanted to sign Tolisso I doubt it would have happened at that point. Think I remember something about him being a Bayern fan in his youth.

Management was obviously banking on getting more out of Khedira and Marchisio. Anyway, clearly the 4-2-3-1 is problematic right now.

What types of experimentation would you like to see with the formation this season?

I'd like to see Max try a 4-3-3 in one of our league matches, with Dybala having more of a free role on the right. Similar to how Barca deploy their Argentinian at times. Allow him to cut underneath, to roam a little. Would be flexible.

Try dropping Bernardeschi into that RCM spot for a match or two, see if he can help in transition/break the press, make some forward runs, and still offer some defensive coverage. Has played some wingback, I don't think it's a crazy idea to slot him into the middle. De Sciglio would stay home as usual, and maybe shade Pjanic ever so slightly to provide a little more coverage, if necessary.

Been thinking about this the past few weeks because of how imbalanced we are at times. Certainly gets more of our talent on the field. Looks like you're thinking along the same lines (of Berna in midfield), based upon a post of yours I just saw in the other thread.
I think Max's thought with Dybala at RW is that he won't do enough defensively, and he'll end up playing like a SS anyways, so might as well play the 4-4-2. At least you get 8 players behind him. Because if you play something like Costa-Higuain-Dybala, you run a huge risk of defending only with 7 and you will be ripped apart.

For me, Berna has to be tried at RCM. Maybe long-term it's not best for him to be there or it's not best for the team. But this season, he is better than Khedira there. I will never be convinced otherwise until I see it with my own eyes.

Our team is absolutely screaming out for a CM that can transition.

And I don't see why Max would be comfortable playing a 4-4-2 with Dybala/Higuain doing little defensively but be scared to play a 4-5-1 with Berna being a little light defensively. Isn't that in the end a net positive defensively over our usual 4-4-2? I don't understand the reluctance.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I think Max's thought with Dybala at RW is that he won't do enough defensively, and he'll end up playing like a SS anyways, so might as well play the 4-4-2. At least you get 8 players behind him. Because if you play something like Costa-Higuain-Dybala, you run a huge risk of defending only with 7 and you will be ripped apart.

For me, Berna has to be tried at RCM. Maybe long-term it's not best for him to be there or it's not best for the team. But this season, he is better than Khedira there. I will never be convinced otherwise until I see it with my own eyes.

Our team is absolutely screaming out for a CM that can transition.

And I don't see why Max would be comfortable playing a 4-4-2 with Dybala/Higuain doing little defensively but be scared to play a 4-5-1 with Berna being a little light defensively. Isn't that in the end a net positive defensively over our usual 4-4-2? I don't understand the reluctance.
Yeah, I think you're right about Max's thought process, but I'd still like to see him try that lineup out sometime (obviously not against tough opposition, at least for the maiden attempt). The midfield is likely to be a bit too lightweight at this point, but sometimes these things work out better than expected.

In the end, even a base 4-4-2 would probably end up with Douglas Costa often further forward in attack, so not totally dissimilar. His work ethic has been a little better in the defensive phase than I though it would be, actually. The two banks of 4 defensively are pretty similar to what we see a lot of now, but obviously Mandzukic is much more defensive... he gets a little too focused on the defensive phase at times, imo. That can often be part of our transition problem, guy is just so deep, and not not really quick enough or technical enough to consistently break the press. Basically has to go long to be an outlet.

You couldn't be more right about adding a CM who can transition to the midfield. Is there a name or two that you're particularly interested in for the summer?

Agree about your last comment, too, there shouldn't really be any reluctance with that setup; you'd think it would be a net positive for defensive structure.

So would definitely like to see Federico at RCM. Bernardeschi in the hole might be interesting too, although at this point we'd obviously have issues with width, particularly down that right flank. Definitely need a midfielder who can transition, but also need to add a little more quality at RB (particularly in the attacking phase).

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Yeah, I think you're right about Max's thought process, but I'd still like to see him try that lineup out sometime (obviously not against tough opposition, at least for the maiden attempt). The midfield is likely to be a bit too lightweight at this point, but sometimes these things work out better than expected.

In the end, even a base 4-4-2 would probably end up with Douglas Costa often further forward in attack, so not totally dissimilar. His work ethic has been a little better in the defensive phase than I though it would be, actually. The two banks of 4 defensively are pretty similar to what we see a lot of now, but obviously Mandzukic is much more defensive... he gets a little too focused on the defensive phase at times, imo. That can often be part of our transition problem, guy is just so deep, and not not really quick enough or technical enough to consistently break the press. Basically has to go long to be an outlet.

You couldn't be more right about adding a CM who can transition to the midfield. Is there a name or two that you're particularly interested in for the summer?

Agree about your last comment, too, there shouldn't really be any reluctance with that setup; you'd think it would be a net positive for defensive structure.

So would definitely like to see Federico at RCM. Bernardeschi in the hole might be interesting too, although at this point we'd obviously have issues with width, particularly down that right flank. Definitely need a midfielder who can transition, but also need to add a little more quality at RB (particularly in the attacking phase).
I would love to bring Can, Pellegrini and Kovacic. All pretty realistic targets I think. Kovacic has the best transition of the group. Pellegrini can do it but he can't slalom. He has very good close control and decent speed over a long distance. But Kovacic can take out multiple players.

Can, for a bigger CM, is not bad. He can turn an attacker when he's deep in his own 3rd and play a ball out. Or he can shield and play a ball out. If you let him get a head of steam then I find his pace is good. His acceleration is not great.

About Mandzukic: 100% agree with that thought. He is lauded for his work rate but I find it's all defensive. He has poor attacking work rate. Maybe because he's tired from chasing back. It's not the same as someone like Cuadrado who goes up and down as much as possible. He can be an outlet only on long balls, but you have to give him time to get there.

All you have to do is watch our team when Pjanic pinches a ball in our own 3rd. There's absolutely nothing to aim at. It's a big problem. But Pjanic is capable of playing just a simple 1-2 with his CM partner and he can get past the 1st line. But even then, we don't have the CMs to even combine with him in the slightest.

For a 4-4-2, the first name on the sheet is Cuadrado, if he's in form. I think if Berna was RCM and Cuadrado RM, it would be a really good partnership on that side. But we'll never see it. We'll probably stock up on CMs by the time Cuadrado is even fit.

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I would love to bring Can, Pellegrini and Kovacic. All pretty realistic targets I think. Kovacic has the best transition of the group. Pellegrini can do it but he can't slalom. He has very good close control and decent speed over a long distance. But Kovacic can take out multiple players.

Can, for a bigger CM, is not bad. He can turn an attacker when he's deep in his own 3rd and play a ball out. Or he can shield and play a ball out. If you let him get a head of steam then I find his pace is good. His acceleration is not great.

About Mandzukic: 100% agree with that thought. He is lauded for his work rate but I find it's all defensive. He has poor attacking work rate. Maybe because he's tired from chasing back. It's not the same as someone like Cuadrado who goes up and down as much as possible. He can be an outlet only on long balls, but you have to give him time to get there.

All you have to do is watch our team when Pjanic pinches a ball in our own 3rd. There's absolutely nothing to aim at. It's a big problem. But Pjanic is capable of playing just a simple 1-2 with his CM partner and he can get past the 1st line. But even then, we don't have the CMs to even combine with him in the slightest.

For a 4-4-2, the first name on the sheet is Cuadrado, if he's in form. I think if Berna was RCM and Cuadrado RM, it would be a really good partnership on that side. But we'll never see it. We'll probably stock up on CMs by the time Cuadrado is even fit.
Cuadrado would fit great in a 4-4-2, would love to see that experiment with Berna beside him. Looking forward to getting Juan back.

Interesting choices for CM. I haven't seen enough of Pellegrini, but he seems like an interesting 'market opportunity' given the buyout, and of course he's Italian, weakens a rival, so I could see Beppe going that direction. I definitely need to see more of him.

I want at least one more kind of rambunctious CM, someone who gets around, got a bit of technical ability too, and I find Torreira to be a really interesting young player. Hopefully Blaise can keep it going for a couple more years, but I think we could even play both of those guys at times in a 3 with Pjanic.

Can is another 'market opportunity', and if we can pull him I think that makes a lot of sense. At the very least, would be good for the books, very safe move. I doubt we'd get more than 2 CMs, but Kovacic has a ton of talent, and we could definitely use a player with his attributes. Madrid has a couple of interesting decisions to make this summer, I wonder how much he'd cost?

Don't think there's any hope of an SMS acquisition, but that would be a nice move obviously. Doubt we'll spend in that range, or that Lotito would even pick up Beppe's call at this point. :D

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
When a Pellegri is worth 25-30 million, then SMS is definitely worth 80 million. It's not what you value him at, it's what the market dictates. Your opinion counts for shit here (sorry).
Nonsense. If Gian don't think Milinkovic-Savic is good enough to pay 80 million for then it's his evaluation of the player. What the market dictates isn't the truth, you see plenty of GMs and managers with different evaluation of a players worth.

Not liek the transfer market have 'perfect competition', so you can't really talk about general equilibrium.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Nonsense. If Gian don't think Milinkovic-Savic is good enough to pay 80 million for then it's his evaluation of the player. What the market dictates isn't the truth, you see plenty of GMs and managers with different evaluation of a players worth.

Not liek the transfer market have 'perfect competition', so you can't really talk about general equilibrium.
His opinion will not change the valuation tho. There are clubs willing to pay 80+ million for him. At the end of the day, what Gian values him at doesn't matter because he's not a GM and he has zero authority when it comes to purchases :D

I value the pseudo footballer at a bag of watermelon seeds, but that doesn't matter. I'm sure some retarded club out there are willing to pay 20+ million for him :xfinger:

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
When a Pellegri is worth 25-30 million, then SMS is definitely worth 80 million. It's not what you value him at, it's what the market dictates. Your opinion counts for $#@! here (sorry).
I do understand valuation, I just dont think the markets valuation is in sync with his qualities. He has shown that he is a great CM but also that he's inconsistent imo.

Also Pellegrini isn't 'worth' 25M, he has a relause clause of 25M

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Marotta: 'Can? We’ll see…’ | Football Italia

Juventus general manager Giuseppe Marotta calls Liverpool’s Emre Can “one of the most desirable players” - “if he decides to come to Turin we’ll be happy”.

The midfielder is out of contract at the end of the season, and has been heavily linked with a move to the Bianconeri.

However, there has so far been no announcement of a pre-contract deal, leading to speculation he could join another club.

“Emre Can is one of the most desirable players, for his ability and also because, as you know, he’ll be a free agent in June,” Marotta confirmed after receiving an award at the Sportivo Piemontese dell’Anno.

“It’s normal that situation has attracted a number of suitors for him as a player, we’re doing and we have done our path.

“We know there are other clubs competing for him and these clubs are definitely among the best in the world, the fact remains that, as I always say, a player’s destiny is in his head.

“So if he decides to come to Turin with Juventus we’ll be happy, and if he decides to join another team then we’ll exploit another opportunity.”

Another player who has been linked with the Old Lady is Matteo Darmian…

“He’s a Manchester United player right now, and he represents a player who doesn’t belong to us, but I can say that he’s a good and interesting player.”

- - - Updated - - -

:D

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
'Idyllic relationship with Buffon’ | Football Italia

Beppe Marotta won’t discuss Gianluigi Buffon’s future, but assures Juventus have an “idyllic relationship” with their captain.

The goalkeeper had planned to retire at the end of the season, but there have been hints in recent weeks that he may change his mind.

With his contract expiring on June 30, the 40-year-old will have to meet with the Bianconeri hierarchy to decide his future.

“He’s focused on the present,” Marotta shrugged as he left the Sportivo Piemontese dell’Anno awards.

“It’s a present which finds us in front of so many difficult roads, Saturday’s game at the Olimpico [with Lazio], the one in London [with Tottenham Hotspur] on Wednesday, the other league matches, and the Coppa Italia final.

“That means we all have to be focused on the present, we’ll face the future when it comes. He [Buffon] has said many times that he’ll discuss his future with the President [Andrea Agnelli].

“I can only emphasise the relationship between him and the club is a truly idyllic one.”

Coach Max Allegri has been linked with other clubs, including Arsenal, could this be his final season in Turin.

“I think that Allegri has shown, after starting from general skepticism, to not only be up to the level of Juventus but one of the best Coaches around.

“We can talk about the results achieved, about what he’s shown he can get on the pitch.

“It was a relationship which started from great indifference, but today he’s going everyone, from the club, to us to the fans great satisfaction and for that reason I’m sure he’ll continue.

“Do Napoli play better football? I think in the end what counts is getting to the end and winning. Playing well or badly is a complementary thing, it’s linked to different factors.

“I think in the end you have to shake hands with Napoli, because whoever wins will have done so deservedly, regardless of who played better.

“If they win, they’ll win because they got more points than us.

“The head-to-head with them will be important, but I think there are so many points available between now and the end of the season.

“Often even games that people write off can be difficult and throw up unexpected results.”

One area of concern for the Old Lady is the fitness of Gonzalo Higuain, who is battling an ankle injury.

“The knock he received to the ankle is a really niggling one,” Marotta confirmed.

“The trauma is a bone trauma, so it needs special attention from the medical staff, so we can say that we’ll use the right and logical prudence to get him back on the pitch, but it’s nothing serious.

“We want this trauma to be resolved in the best way, so if we need to wait for him we’ll wait.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)