JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
If he doesn't explode then its a terrible move.
If he does then its a good move not a brilliant one.

Pirlo was a brilliant move. Tevez was a brilliant move. Vidal and Barzagli. 40 Mill is the kind of money you pay for the guaranteed product. So if it does pay off then its a good move. If he really is the next Messi then I'll say its brilliant.

Barca buying Neymar for almost a 100 mill is not a brilliant move.. its the guaranteed product. It worked very well. Its a good move.
I also think that Alex Sandro is a great move. (no sarcasm)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Amer

Feb 13, 2005
I think Marotta and the rest of the management could have done more to convince Tevez to stay. One more year wouldn't have killed him.

If they had done that maybe we could have gone without AM saga and play 352 with strong fullbacks like Sandro and Cuadrado, and offensive CM's like Pogba and Pereyra.

Right now, as we stand, we are in no mans land. We don't even know which will be our formation this season and the first CL game is in 16-17 days.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
This is called transition, what we have at hand is overhaul.
That's my problem with this mercato. We were in a position to control the transition because we recognised the need for change from a position of power, yet we allowed our important pillars, most notably Vidal to go after Tevez and Pirlo were already done. Far, far smoother transition had it happened with the midfield still in tact.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
Yep, it definitely became a transition season when Vidal was sold.

Injuries are not helping either. Preseason was kind of messy, and injuries are clearly related to that poor planning.

There's been a clear lack of planning and direction.

It can still work out and we may retain scudetto and remain between the 8 top in Europe - but it's definitely starting in a very improvised way.

- - - Updated - - -

It's definitely a transitional season. I don't fully expect to win scudetto like the previous years.

I expect us to contend for it and develop chemistry and young guys:

- Morata established as a world class CF;
- Rugani as a solid Juventus player and future Barza's replacement;
- Alex Sandro confirming WC status;
- Sturaro establishing as a good Juventus rotation player;
- Neto showing he can be of Juventus level, a very good backup and maybe future replacement for Buffon;
- New guys Mandzukic and Khedira fully adapted as rotation players and assuming a leadership role in the squad for the youngsters;
- Pereyra keeping his improvement;
- Asamoah getting healthy again and solidifying his status as a potential WC DM or great CM;
- Dybala finishing the season as a fix starter, only to explode to WC status next season;
- More contituity and stability for Coman, offering the grounds for him to explode in 1 or 2 years, finding his ideal position (inside forward from the left);
- Pogba's fitting to whole new role, with more responsibility and leadership;
- Draxler adaptation if he comes, only to become a WC trequartista/left inside forward next season;
- Cuadrado's adapting to a winger scheme and being replaced next year by Berardi (as an inside forward);
- Zaza's development of confidence (when confident, he's a good CF) and his position as a backup CF;

That's a whole LOT of new stuff, fitting and adaptation here. A lot. Can't really expect to WIN scudetto. What I expect is to fight for the title till the end, and get to 4-finals in CL. Minimal expectation this season is actually a bit lower than the last one, considering so many changes.

I really wanted no transition year, that it could go smoother. But it happened, and here we are.

However if developments run well, we'll be a HUGE force come next year, specially if we are able to keep Morata (and maybe even Pogba). There's a lot of talent to work with.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
- Neto showing he can be of Juventus level, a very good backup and maybe future replacement for Buffon;
i've got a friend who's a keeper coach at the school owned by a hungarian national keeper, and who was himself a goalkeeper with a 1st division team. they often go around the world to professional meetings, conferences and stuff. in short: he knows his shit. he told me that neto is probably a top3 second choice keeper, and thus juve have probably a top3 keeper duo now. i'm no expert in keepers but he is, so i tend to believe him. so underrated, but besides sandro, he's the most obvious great signing of the season.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Dyabala was on the last year of his contract and had one good season in Serie A. This is not a young Aguero, Draxler, Gotze or Griezman who all had plenty of top level first team football and are seen as the future of their national teams. I am not aware of a major bidding war amongst the rich clubs over him. 40 million is an expensive transfer especially for a young unproven kid. Ozil for instance went for 50 mills and thats after many years of world class football with both the NT and Madrid. ATM bought Griezzman (who has far more experience than Dybala has) and was drawing attention from EPL clubs for 30 mills. So again 40 million is a lot of money for a youngster let alone one who has one year left on his contract and one good season in Serie A. If he does turn out to be world class then you'd think we did not over pay but the same applies if we had paid 50 or 60 and he did turn out to be the next aguero.

On Llorente, how much we paid for him does not matter. Its not like you expected us to rescind his contract. Everyone here was expecting at least 7-10 mills for him including yourself. That is under selling. We paid nothing to get him but that also applies to Pogba and I doubt anyone would be happy with him walking out for free.

He is still a very good striker his value now certainly is not a zero. Management let him go to release his wages to cut down on expenses but that again applies to any player we have. You can sell a player to release his wages but you dont have to give him away for no transfer fee at all.

Similarly, Tevez is not worth nothing. We bought him for 9 mills when he was benched for over a year, city was kicking him out and no one else wanted him. After two extremely successful seasons, Tevez's valuation should be a lot higher than 9 mills let alone zero. He is not a potato. I do understand he had marotta by the balls and was determined to leave to Boca in specific but its marotta's job to negotiate with him and with boca. Giving him for free again is giving another expensive gift.

I do not understand the whole Zaza situation. They paid us 8 million for him then we paid them 18 but really he is part of the berrardi deal where we gave berrardi to them on the cheap and will buy him back a little more expensive but less than his real valuation whatever that means. What the hell is going on? Why would we do all of that I dont understand? add to that the mess from last week were we wanted to sell zaza for 18 million to westham or send him out on loan.

Explain to me your theory about whats going on with Zaza by himself, how that relates to the Berardi deal and what motivation did we have to make this extremely convoluted plan

If he doesn't explode then its a terrible move.
If he does then its a good move not a brilliant one.

Pirlo was a brilliant move. Tevez was a brilliant move. Vidal and Barzagli. 40 Mill is the kind of money you pay for the guaranteed product. So if it does pay off then its a good move. If he really is the next Messi then I'll say its brilliant.

Barca buying Neymar for almost a 100 mill is not a brilliant move.. its the guaranteed product. It worked very well. Its a good move.
good posts :tup:

Its how i feel.

Serious question, if we end up having a crap season (crashing out from the group stage in the CL and not winning serie A title) who would you blame for this, Allegri or Marotta ?

I believe that Allegri will eventually be blamed for the results. No one will look back and say, Allegri was not given the set of players he requested. He'll be our scapegoat that's for sure.
on both most likely.

That's my problem with this mercato. We were in a position to control the transition because we recognised the need for change from a position of power, yet we allowed our important pillars, most notably Vidal to go after Tevez and Pirlo were already done. Far, far smoother transition had it happened with the midfield still in tact.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
About Dybala, of course he was hugely overpaid for.

But in this case, this is circunstancial, not due to some lack of negotiating skills. There was an auction, the guy is a great talent and a rare breed of intelligent player, available to sign for a Serie A club, with Serie A experience. That doesn't happen often.

As I've said before, of course in hindsight you can objectively judge a deal a year after and say if it was good business or not.

But IMO the fair judgement is within the context of situation. As of today, I think it was good business, even if it had to be overpaid, it's a good bet and that's it. Can go right or wrong. But talent is there, characteristics the team needs are there (intelligence / creativity).

Like the Isla deal. It turned up a disastrous deal, in hindsight. But at the moment he was signed, even though he was injured and Marotta again overpaid for him (in this case, probably to extend the payment in more installments), I thought he was a good signing then, a perfect player to be a RWB in Conte's 352.

Both judgements, the subjective one, at the moment of the deal, and the objective one, in hindsight, are equally important IMO. It can be a good gamble that doesn't work, it can be a bad gamble that works. Pereyra is the opposite. Apparently huge overpayment, average player, but the guy shows a lot of quality. Bad gamble IMO, in hindsight it was great.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
About Dybala, of course he was hugely overpaid for.

But in this case, this is circunstancial, not due to some lack of negotiating skills. There was an auction, the guy is a great talent and a rare breed of intelligent player, available to sign for a Serie A club, with Serie A experience. That doesn't happen often.

As I've said before, of course in hindsight you can objectively judge a deal a year after and say if it was good business or not.

But IMO the fair judgement is within the context of situation. As of today, I think it was good business, even if it had to be overpaid, it's a good bet and that's it. Can go right or wrong. But talent is there, characteristics the team needs are there (intelligence / creativity).

Like the Isla deal. It turned up a disastrous deal, in hindsight. But at the moment he was signed, even though he was injured and Marotta again overpaid for him (in this case, probably to extend the payment in more installments), I thought he was a good signing then, a perfect player to be a RWB in Conte's 352.

Both judgements, the subjective one, at the moment of the deal, and the objective one, in hindsight, are equally important IMO. It can be a good gamble that doesn't work, it can be a bad gamble that works. Pereyra is the opposite. Apparently huge overpayment, average player, but the guy shows a lot of quality. Bad gamble IMO, in hindsight it was great.
Agreed on everything.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Yep, it definitely became a transition season when Vidal was sold.

Injuries are not helping either. Preseason was kind of messy, and injuries are clearly related to that poor planning.

There's been a clear lack of planning and direction.

It can still work out and we may retain scudetto and remain between the 8 top in Europe - but it's definitely starting in a very improvised way.

- - - Updated - - -

It's definitely a transitional season. I don't fully expect to win scudetto like the previous years.

I expect us to contend for it and develop chemistry and young guys:

- Morata established as a world class CF;
- Rugani as a solid Juventus player and future Barza's replacement;
- Alex Sandro confirming WC status;
- Sturaro establishing as a good Juventus rotation player;
- New guys Mandzukic and Khedira fully adapted as rotation players and assuming a leadership role in the squad for the youngsters;
- Pereyra keeping his improvement;
- Asamoah getting healthy again and solidifying his status as a potential WC DM or great CM;
- Dybala finishing the season as a fix starter, only to explode to WC status next season;
- More contituity and stability for Coman, offering the grounds for him to explode in 1 or 2 years, finding his ideal position (inside forward from the left);
- Pogba's fitting to whole new role, with more responsibility and leadership;
- Draxler adaptation if he comes, only to become a WC trequartista/left inside forward next season;
- Cuadrado's adapting to a winger scheme and being replaced next year by Berardi (as an inside forward);
- Zaza's development of confidence (when confident, he's a good CF) and his position as a backup CF;

That's a whole LOT of new stuff, fitting and adaptation here. A lot. Can't really expect to WIN scudetto. What I expect is to fight for the title till the end, and get to 4-finals in CL. Minimal expectation this season is actually a bit lower than the last one, considering so many changes.

I really wanted no transition year, that it could go smoother. But it happened, and here we are.

However if developments run well, we'll be a HUGE force come next year, specially if we are able to keep Morata (and maybe even Pogba). There's a lot of talent to work with.
that sounds more like wishing than expecting

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
every single one of those is the ideal scenario, thats nowhere near reasonable expectations
Why not ?

Who saw Morata becoming a clutch player for us last season ?

Who saw Bonucci developing into a top defender especially when he was coming back of a mediocre season ?

Who saw freaking Allegri almost leading us to a treble ? Haha

There are reasons to be optimistic going ahead into the season , reasonable expectations or not.
Some players will step up.We can be sure of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)