Giovanni Trapattoni (5 Viewers)

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Trap: 'Juve need more than money'

Saturday 23 January, 2010

Giovanni Trapattoni has advice for both the club and Ciro Ferrara. “You need character to lead Juventus.”

The Republic of Ireland manager sat on the Bianconeri bench from 1976 to ’86 and again from 1991 to ’94.

In that time he won six Scudetto titles, the European Cup, Intercontinental Cup, Cup Winners’ Cup, two UEFA Cups and two Coppa Italia trophies.

“Juventus did not call me, but even if they had, I can say that it was a wonderful time in my career that could not come back,” he told RAI programme Dribbling.

“The Juventus jersey is not just a shirt, it’s a coat of armour. It weighs so much on your shoulders.

“To do well you need more than to just spend money, you need character. And you cannot change every three minutes, otherwise the squad cannot find its shape.”

Trap’s criticism could be aimed at both the club and current boss Ferrara, the latter having gone through three different tactical systems in five months.

The directors have also been accused of lacking stability, as since taking over in 2006 the current administration have gone through Didier Deschamps, Claudio Ranieri and Ferrara.

Football Italia

Buy on AliExpress.com

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
Trap: 'Juve need more than money'

Saturday 23 January, 2010

Giovanni Trapattoni has advice for both the club and Ciro Ferrara. “You need character to lead Juventus.”

The Republic of Ireland manager sat on the Bianconeri bench from 1976 to ’86 and again from 1991 to ’94.

In that time he won six Scudetto titles, the European Cup, Intercontinental Cup, Cup Winners’ Cup, two UEFA Cups and two Coppa Italia trophies.

“Juventus did not call me, but even if they had, I can say that it was a wonderful time in my career that could not come back,” he told RAI programme Dribbling.

“The Juventus jersey is not just a shirt, it’s a coat of armour. It weighs so much on your shoulders.

“To do well you need more than to just spend money, you need character. And you cannot change every three minutes, otherwise the squad cannot find its shape.”

Trap’s criticism could be aimed at both the club and current boss Ferrara, the latter having gone through three different tactical systems in five months.

The directors have also been accused of lacking stability, as since taking over in 2006 the current administration have gone through Didier Deschamps, Claudio Ranieri and Ferrara.

Football Italia
What Trap says os sooooo true! You need Character and the owners and the BoD seriously lack REAL character.

Ciro has been thrown in the deep end and is floundering but he has no real support from the owners nor the admin managers, so he will fail.

The currnet main owners do not really care about Juve: - to them Juve is a toy and they are playing at being real owners squandering money on players we didn't/don't need without any regard to the needs of the team or a view to strengthening the team to make Juve a top team again. They have made no attempt to protect Juve from appalling refereeing decisions like Melo being sent of because Ballotelli's simulation or the non action against Chivu for head-butting Sissoko. To them owning Juve is merely an expensive toy - a status symbol!

Dec 26, 2004

The hair of the back of my neck stood while reading this... what a legend:touched:

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Football Association of Ireland:

“It has been decided the abdominal pain is as a result of minor scar tissue from previous surgery. To relieve the pain, he will undergo minor surgery at 3 p.m. today.”

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
damn illness trap was supposed to be visiting our football club on monday with tardelli john delaney and ray houghton ah well unless he makes a miracle recovery at least marco will be there

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Buoyant Trap assures fans he's fighting fit and back on the job

By Shane Hickey

Wednesday August 18 2010

TRAP's back. "I wish also show you I am not dead. I live very well," he triumphantly declared yesterday in his endearingly imperfect English, hours after leaving his hospital bed.

Giovanni Trapattoni, the Ireland football manager, emerged from his week-long medical ordeal full of zest and giving a spirited display to any nay-sayers questioning the 71-year-old's future.

It was the first public outing for the Italian following an unforeseen abdominal operation which forced him to miss Ireland's 1-0 defeat to Argentina last Wednesday night.

"I wish to see you for two or three reasons. First, you miss me. I wish also show you I am not dead. I live very well," Mr Trapattoni said with a smile at a briefing in the Grand Hotel in Malahide, Co Dublin.

Constantly cracking wry jokes and warmly greeting FAI staff, he appeared full of life following his stint in hospital and gave the first insight into his illness.

The problem was initially thought to have been food poisoning but it quickly emerged that surgery was necessary.

Shunning his long-suffering interpreter who was sitting beside him, Mr Trapattoni explained the situation in his trademark broken English.

"My wife cooks very well. But before I came to Ireland, I ate Italian fish [shellfish]. After, I have a very bad bowel. I thought it was because of the fish but it continued for a few days so I said 'Doctor, I think we need to check this'," he said.

"We discover it is a situation from many years ago. I had a fantastic doctor in Martin O'Donoghue [of the Mater]. It was an old scar. I said 'Doctor, is this going to come about a lot?' He said 'No, it's not too bad, we can in two or three or four days decide'.

"I was confidence, so I said 'Doctor, operate immediately'."

Mr Trapattoni was rushed to the Mater Hospital in the early hours of Tuesday last week which forced him to miss Ireland's first match in the new Aviva Stadium.

Added to his frustration at being hospitalised was the team's loss to Argentina on the night. "I wanted to help the team but I could not. Marco [assistant coach Marco Tardelli] did very well but also in that moment, I couldn't make better changes to the situation. We have forget about it," he said.

His wife Paola travelled from Italy to be at his side during the scare -- cementing her status as a saint in his eyes.

"Sure, I didn't want my wife to come here. I said I only need two or three days, she show me her love for me. Okay, my wife is happy, she is happy to be here. She's happy because I'm okay," he said.

Health

Boasting that he was running and in the gym two days before he became ill, he said he looks forward to getting back onto the treadmill.

With his health back on track, he is now ready to get back to the task at hand with Ireland's opening Euro 2012 qualifier on September 3 in Armenia the first big game on the horizon.

And the manager was quick to dismiss suggestions that he would be unable to fly for the vital fixture after he has been deemed fit to travel by both medics and his wife.

"In a week, I will start again in my gym, my exercises," Mr Trapattoni said. "I run in the country. I work in a gym at home -- 30 minutes or 20 minutes running.

"It is only four or five hours flight [to Armenia]. Today medicine, people are operated on in New York and after a week, they fly to Europe."

Paying tribute to the staff who treated him, Mr Trapattoni thanked all of those who helped him on St Patrick's ward, where he was a private patient.

"I thank them, also the nurses and doctors at the hospital. Their hospitality was fantastic," he said.

Just before he jumped into a people carrier along with FAI staff, Mr Trapattoni said he has yet to decide whether he will return to Italy in the coming days or stay on in Ireland.

"I decide with my wife who is here. We like being on holidays and [in] the hotel. We have to decide after tomorrow, maybe we can stay here," he said.

- Shane Hickey

Irish Independent

OP

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
  • Thread Starter #17
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trap: Tell the Pope he has to wait Friday 8 October, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Republic of Ireland Giovanni Trapattoni admits he has been contacted to coach a Vatican XI, but has told the Pope to wait.

Yesterday's La Gazzetta dello Sport claimed the 71-year-old had given his word to take charge of a Vatican XI for an exhibition match in Rome on October 23 against a Guardia di Finanza side trained by Roberto Donadoni.

When asked about the report yesterday, Trapattoni said: “Yes, I have been contacted. But I already have a bench. I can't have two jobs unless they sack me to put me at the Vatican's disposition.

“In the meantime I consider myself to be their No 1 fan.

“My wife has told me that there will be trouble if I die on the pitch. But I am not frightened after the little surgical intervention that I underwent.

“Actually, now more than ever I hope to keep training until I'm in my 80s,” he concluded.

FI

--------------------------------

I wonder how their kit will look like...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)