Giovanni Trapattoni (2 Viewers)

Jul 1, 2010
He's doing good as Ireland manager, but he was brutal as Italy manager. He broke my heart in 2002.
Indeed, I didn't like his defensive football at the international level. I'll never understand why he benched Del Piero. He should have played this imo.

Totti
Del Piero-Vieri​

That would have destroyed everything it its way. However, I guess that the Korea match was not his fault.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Indeed, I didn't like his defensive football at the international level. I'll never understand why he benched Del Piero. He should have played this imo.

Totti
Del Piero-Vieri​

That would have destroyed everything it its way. However, I guess that the Korea match was not his fault.
Biggest mistake he made was not bringing Baggio, even at 35, and with one good leg, he would have made a far greater impact than Del Piero & Totti combined. When it came to the Azzurri, on the big stage, Baggio was the man, Totti & Del Piero melted, both of them never came close to showing anything like their club form for Italy. Italy still haven't replaced Baggio, and I doubt they ever will.

Mar 9, 2006
Biggest mistake he made was not bringing Baggio, even at 35, and with one good leg, he would have made a far greater impact than Del Piero & Totti combined. When it came to the Azzurri, on the big stage, Baggio was the man, Totti & Del Piero melted, both of them never came close to showing anything like their club form for Italy. Italy still haven't replaced Baggio, and I doubt they ever will.
Cannavaro 2006 ;)

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Juventino[RUS];3352482 said:
Cannavaro 2006 ;)
It appals me to think Iaq, Matrix and Perrotta have all world cup winners medals but Baggio, Pagiluca, Baresi & Maldini dont. How is that even possible?? :inter:

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Juventino[RUS];3353357 said:
nah there was a cheat game by scandinavian teams! 2-2 draw! shame on them!
Maybe so, but Italy should not have even been in that position where they had to rely on results in other games. That was a pretty weak group they were in. Much weaker than the one they drew in Euro '96 (Germany, Czech Republic and Russia...two finalists)

Mar 9, 2006
Maybe so, but Italy should not have even been in that position where they had to rely on results in other games. That was a pretty weak group they were in. Much weaker than the one they drew in Euro '96 (Germany, Czech Republic and Russia...two finalists)
yes but luck wasn't on italy side! you should remember this goal

there was a foul before ibrakadabra magic goal

so italy was cheated in 2002 and in 2004 but 2006 was our year. forza lippi.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
Juventino[RUS];3353324 said:
Pagliuca? lmao

Del Piero never won a Ballon d'Oro......
Pagiluca was a great keeper.

Del Piero never really deserved a Balon D'Or other than in 1997/98 and 2002/03.

Emmet

Apr 5, 2006
I love Alex as much as everyone else, but take off the black and white tinted glasses for a second and think about when did he ever show world class form throughout an entire season, or in a tournament? his best seasons where 1997/98 (which was undoubtedly his best season in his career in my view) and in 2002/03 when he was on fine form but Pavel was our main man. As far as tournaments go he didn't do anything of any note really in any of them except for his bit part in 2006.

OP

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
  • Thread Starter #39
    Happy Birthday Trap!

March 17, 2012

Giovanni Trapattoni is a much loved figure by Juventus fans. The legendary manager’s arrival in 1977 enabled the Bianconeri to scale even greater hights and embark on a sensational winning period in the club’s history.

His list of honours - over two seperate managerial spells in Turin - is as follows:

- Intercontinental Cup
    - Champions’ Cup
    - Cup Winners’ Cup
    - European Super Cup
    - 2 UEFA Cups
    - 2 Italian Cups
    - 6 Scudetto victories

Today sees the current Republic of Ireland manager celebrate his seventy-third birthday. All associated with Juventus Football Club wish 'Trap’ many happy returns.

Juventus.com

Dec 31, 2008
    “Pogba has adapted in record time and is capable of starting more games. You know what I like about this Juventus? I do not see selfishness.
    “I remember when Bettega and Platini enjoyed helping a teammate to score a goal. In today’s Juve is the same spirit and this is worth a lot of points.”
    The veteran was also asked of the team’s current search for a striker in the transfer market.
    “The right name is Drogba. He is perfect and for the Champions League. He has class, experience and with Vucinic would create a good understanding.
    “Of course, Giovinco should do more than just sit on the bench, but Juve will need everyone when it gets to spring and they are fighting for the Scudetto and Champions League. They can move forward on both fronts.”
    For Trapattoni, it is Inter that stand between the Old Lady and a second successive League title.
    “Inter are pretty solid. I do not know how serious the case is with Wesley Sneijder. I understand that sometimes it is not easy to choose between creativity and balance, but I like Stramaccioni.
    “Whilst he is a young man, he has personality and speaks well. Then there is Cassano.”
    Cassano was handed his Italy debut under Trapattoni in 2003 and then was a part of the ill-fated Euro 2004 campaign.
    “At the European Championships in Portugal I spent hours and hours in his room talking to him. The Cassano of today has matured. That is to the merit of his wife and son. He is wiser.
    “Now he has to win. Antonio thinks that he has played for a great Roma, in Madrid and in Milan. I remember an exchange of passes he had with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, beating three opponents, stuff to leave you open mouthed at.
    “He is a talent that should have conquered everything, but he has not lived up to his value. And time passes for everyone. Cassano is the added value that Inter need to win the Scudetto.”
    The current Republic of Ireland boss was also asked for his take on the situation between Daniele De Rossi and Zdenek Zeman at Roma, with the player regularly finding himself out of the team.
    “Maybe Zeman has been told that he could leave in January and he is considering alternatives. With De Rossi you have to follow your instincts.
    “When I decided to go to Bayern [in 1994], Agnelli tried to convince me to stay. 'We want you to become the new Boniperti’. Fine words. But I decided and went forward.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)