Giovanni Cobolli Gigli (3 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
When French midfielder Zinédine Zidane flattened an opponent with a spectacular head butt during the final match of this year's World Cup, seen live on television, critics said he had ended his career in disgrace. But the next day, Jacques Chirac, French president, was standing by Zidane's side, offering moral support. Sponsors, too, were indifferent to his unsportsmanly behaviour. And Zidane could even be invited to join the board of directors of French food group Danone.

Fans and sponsors, it seems, are very forgiving of bad behaviour. Especially when you are one of the best.

This thought must surely be in the mind of Giovanni Cobolli Gigli, newly appointed chairman of Juventus, the Italian football club recently relegated to Serie B and stripped of two league titles after it was found guilty of match fixing. On Friday, he will present the club's half-year results for the six months to June 30, which will reflect happier days.

Mr Cobolli, 61, has been brought in to do a bit of belated spring cleaning. Gone are the club's chief executive Antonio Giraudo and general manager Luciano Moggi, both personally inculpated in the scandal, and a fresh nine-member board was put in place in late June.

But Mr Cobolli's job is more than a simple corporate turnround.

He has been thrown into the deep end and has little time to produce results. The Italian league's season is scheduled to start on September 9 and he is straining to complete his second appeal of the club's relegation in time.

Meanwhile, Juventus risks haemorrhaging top players, ticketsales and lucrative sponsorship deals.

Does Mr Cobolli have what it takes to restore Italy's richest and most successful club to its former glory?

Although he is a life-long Juventus supporter, he is new to the football industry. For the past 10 years, he has worked as chief executive of Gruppo Rinascente, the retailer group, where he earned a reputation as an efficient but low-profile manager.

The fact that Mr Cobolli is an outsider was meant to be a clear sign to sports (and government) authorities that Juventus is serious about cleaning itself up.

AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio, the other clubs implicated in the match-fixing scandal, have done nothing to tidy their ranks.

He is a long-standing loyalist to Ifil, the Agnelli family holding company that owns 60 per cent of Juventus. He had been hired by Ifil to run its Rinascente business, where he gained a neat profit for his patrons when the retailer was later sold to Auchan of France.

The skill Mr Cobolli is likely to need most is diplomacy. After all, he must answer not only to Ifil but restore relations with sports authorities and government officials while also keeping an eye on the club's million-euro sponsors and media partners, its individual shareholders, its uneasy players and its tens of millions of supporters worldwide.

Then there is Mr Cobolli the fighter. When an appeals panel reduced sanctions against the other clubs accused of match fixing but failed to do so for Juventus, he defiantly stated that "there is absolutely no way we can accept this sentence" and promised to pursue all means to have the decision changed. Currently, the club is waiting for a decision by Italy's Olympic committee.

Nonetheless, his biggest contribution to the club will probably be as a level-headed businessman, looking out for his shareholders. So far, the club has successfully retained Nike as a sponsor as well as certain key players such as goalkeeper Gigi Buffon. But five players have been sold, mostly at a profit, and Mr Cobolli does not rule out more disposals at the right price.

Friday will also give Mr Cobolli a chance to outline his plans to protect the company's top line from too much erosion (he has said he hopes to limit the drop in revenues to 20 per cent) and where he plans to cut costs.

Whatever hardship the club has faced, the good news is that Juventus, like Zidane, is clearly a winner:tup:. The team has won 28 :pumpkin: :pumpkin: Serie A championship titles, two Champions League titles and three UEFA cups. And if Mr Cobolli makes the right moves, the club's 14m Italian fans are likely to accompany Juventus into Serie B and back to the top flight in a year or two.

By Ian Limbach
The Financial Times

---------------------------------------

I wish him a great amount of luck...

He's our difficult mission's man...

Buy on AliExpress.com

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
he looks like a very smart,level headed man who has juve in his heart and thats great as he will always look at the best interest of the club but also maintainning the club's finances.

forza gigli, u will lead us back to the light :tup:

Oct 3, 2004
Thanks for that, Rebel, I've been wanting to learn more about Giovanni Cobolli Gigli, but I have yet to read a decent article.

Dukoski

Moggi's Admirer and Fan
May 1, 2006
Good start.I must admit that I underestimated.But this is only a begining.
He got my full support as it is for the good sake of the club.We will see him in real field and out of the field battles.

Mickyao

Jul 15, 2006
unfortunately fair and honest doesn't cut it in Italy and while he may be a nice fellow, Milan are back in Seria A and back in the champions league.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Fuck, I still couldn't manage to pronounce/spell his name proparly. Well Giuliano Giannichedda was hard at first too :D

isha00

Jun 24, 2003
I guess I'm the only one around here that thinks that the new managers are a bunch of perdazzurri inside.

They talk too much and absolutely have no idea of what they want or how they will act.

We'll accept B with penalization, we won't accept anything less than A, no one will leave, who wants can go, we'll go to Tar, B without penalization will be ok, inter getting our scudetto is the last of our concerns. :wth:

We have a lawyer that realized just *now* that there weren't illicits. Are we crazy? He stated before the verdicts that B was more than enough. This is like SUICIDE! Because, of course, if you say yourself that you deserve B, you can't expect anything better from the court. And if Zaccone said this, the club surely agreed.

Only after an important politician, Maurizio Paniz (who is a lawyer btw), went to Pinzolo and said "I'm surprised the Club hasn't still done anything for this verdict, that is against some national and international laws", only after the fans and minor stakeholders started organizing to appeal to Tar themselves, letting them know that they (we) weren't going to passively accept anything, Cobolli started tentatively talking about A (probably to keep the tifosi calm, who knows). Better than nothing, you'll say. But here is the spirit of the new board: yesterday night, at "Domenica sportiva" we had Tardelli saying that, yeah, B without penalization was quite good :wth:

But let's talk about players, that have started to be sold before the verdicts at amazingly low prices.
At a point we sold Viera to... to Inter! The ones that stole our scudetto, the incredibly honest team, that, btw, has managers that have been condemned to 6 months of *jail* for falsifying Recoba's passport, but didn't sportively pay anything for it, the ones that have a great role in the taps (tronchetti provera is telecom's owner) and then did a great job in making the most out of it (Rossi, Casiraghi, etc), the ones that wrote that Vieira got relegated last season. Yep, they sold Vieira to *them* for *9,5* mio €. This is what I call having no self respect.

But this is still nothing. Cobolli says "Vieira will be the last to go", a couple of days later we have this interview of Tardelli that informs the world that it will be very difficult to keep Ibra. :wth: Are you crazy? Are you stupid? This way his price will lower, if you have to sell him. :wallbang:
Secco names the players that he would want. Have we ever seen Moggi do something like this? Of course not, because, if you do, they'll rise the price.
And against Spezia happens something that never happened during the good old Triade's (but also Boniperti's) days: Cobolli tells the journalists that Ibra didn't want to go to Rovereto with them. :wallbang: They had to keep still, dammit! They had to say that Ibra was still injuried and it was pointless taking him with them or something, and then give Zlatan what he deserved in the privacy of the hotel (maybe even smg like "do as we say, or you'll spend a whole year in tribune")!
Now Ibra's price will get even lower and you'll show other players the best way to get what they want. After all, if you let Ibra go, what will you tell to Camoranesi and Zanetti? And what will you do when they'll arrive late at trainings or when they'll complaing about the coach?
But we reached the top always yesterday night, when our dear Tardelli said that he could understand that Ibra, Camo &co. wanted to go, that it would be difficult to keep them, that people that are used to play in CL can't play against Frosinone.

Tardelli, do you realize that you're working for us? Do you realize that it's Juve paying your wages? Are you opening your mouth on purpose or you simply don't understand? Don't you understand that it's not the players not used to Frosinone? *We* are not used and don't deserve Frosinone! Don't you understand that we were used to have a Serie A board and now we've got you?
Cobolli, do you realize that you're not simply a supporter anymore, that now 109 glorious years lay in your hands? Do you realize that the least that comes out of the locker room the better? That you better not make promises you can't keep to the tifosi?

And where the hell are the Elkanns and Montezemolo? Puff, vanished. They wanted the Triade out and they've got their wish. And now? It seems we are just a nice ad (to be) for fiat and obviously they are keeping their hands clean from our "thief" of a team.

:cry:

d.nico

Apr 23, 2003
I am with you Isha..
They have to adapt more in football industry.
For business they are ok, but not yet in football.
I hope the things are getting better.

Juventinho

Hamilton saved my ass...
Nov 4, 2004
isha00 said:
I guess I'm the only one around here that thinks that the new managers are a bunch of perdazzurri inside.

They talk too much and absolutely have no idea of what they want or how they will act.

We'll accept B with penalization, we won't accept anything less than A, no one will leave, who wants can go, we'll go to Tar, B without penalization will be ok, inter getting our scudetto is the last of our concerns. :wth:

We have a lawyer that realized just *now* that there weren't illicits. Are we crazy? He stated before the verdicts that B was more than enough. This is like SUICIDE! Because, of course, if you say yourself that you deserve B, you can't expect anything better from the court. And if Zaccone said this, the club surely agreed.

Only after an important politician, Maurizio Paniz (who is a lawyer btw), went to Pinzolo and said "I'm surprised the Club hasn't still done anything for this verdict, that is against some national and international laws", only after the fans and minor stakeholders started organizing to appeal to Tar themselves, letting them know that they (we) weren't going to passively accept anything, Cobolli started tentatively talking about A (probably to keep the tifosi calm, who knows). Better than nothing, you'll say. But here is the spirit of the new board: yesterday night, at "Domenica sportiva" we had Tardelli saying that, yeah, B without penalization was quite good :wth:

But let's talk about players, that have started to be sold before the verdicts at amazingly low prices.
At a point we sold Viera to... to Inter! The ones that stole our scudetto, the incredibly honest team, that, btw, has managers that have been condemned to 6 months of *jail* for falsifying Recoba's passport, but didn't sportively pay anything for it, the ones that have a great role in the taps (tronchetti provera is telecom's owner) and then did a great job in making the most out of it (Rossi, Casiraghi, etc), the ones that wrote that Vieira got relegated last season. Yep, they sold Vieira to *them* for *9,5* mio €. This is what I call having no self respect.

But this is still nothing. Cobolli says "Vieira will be the last to go", a couple of days later we have this interview of Tardelli that informs the world that it will be very difficult to keep Ibra. :wth: Are you crazy? Are you stupid? This way his price will lower, if you have to sell him. :wallbang:
Secco names the players that he would want. Have we ever seen Moggi do something like this? Of course not, because, if you do, they'll rise the price.
And against Spezia happens something that never happened during the good old Triade's (but also Boniperti's) days: Cobolli tells the journalists that Ibra didn't want to go to Rovereto with them. :wallbang: They had to keep still, dammit! They had to say that Ibra was still injuried and it was pointless taking him with them or something, and then give Zlatan what he deserved in the privacy of the hotel (maybe even smg like "do as we say, or you'll spend a whole year in tribune")!
Now Ibra's price will get even lower and you'll show other players the best way to get what they want. After all, if you let Ibra go, what will you tell to Camoranesi and Zanetti? And what will you do when they'll arrive late at trainings or when they'll complaing about the coach?
But we reached the top always yesterday night, when our dear Tardelli said that he could understand that Ibra, Camo &co. wanted to go, that it would be difficult to keep them, that people that are used to play in CL can't play against Frosinone.

Tardelli, do you realize that you're working for us? Do you realize that it's Juve paying your wages? Are you opening your mouth on purpose or you simply don't understand? Don't you understand that it's not the players not used to Frosinone? *We* are not used and don't deserve Frosinone! Don't you understand that we were used to have a Serie A board and now we've got you?
Cobolli, do you realize that you're not simply a supporter anymore, that now 109 glorious years lay in your hands? Do you realize that the least that comes out of the locker room the better? That you better not make promises you can't keep to the tifosi?

And where the hell are the Elkanns and Montezemolo? Puff, vanished. They wanted the Triade out and they've got their wish. And now? It seems we are just a nice ad (to be) for fiat and obviously they are keeping their hands clean from our "thief" of a team.

:cry:
As much as its painfull to swallow as much as its close to the truth. You have based your argument on valid facts that everyone chose to ignore. The Zlatan situation itself is tottaly misshandled and its bringing us nothing more than embarrasement. When someone says that he wants to leave and he threatens to sue the club he should be allowed to leave asap. But as a reaction is club is trying to convince him to stay wich is really an embarrasement since Zlatan is a **** who talks too much and now he thinks he is god ''oh look at me i am Zlatan they are begging me to stay''. I dont know what kind of a spell Zlatan used with Capello but he's doing it again with Gigli and DD and obviously its working. This player is bad luck and a clown and bring bad atmosphere to our squad in a time where we need every motivated player we can get. So far Gigli 5\10 on Juventinho'o'meter. Hope he get better and get thing under controle quickly because time is running out and the enemys are at the gates waiting for us to fall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)