Gianluigi Buffon (135 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
http://www.goal.com/en/news/10/italy/2012/05/11/3095405/buffon-champions-league-is-juventus-next-objective

"I want us to be competitive in the Champions League next season. That has to be our goal," Buffon stated to Tuttosport.

"We haven't won it in 16 years, but I don't think that the current team have what it takes to win it yet. That would be too much to ask from a team that have just accomplished a miracle.

"The team needs two or three editions in order to become great again in Europe. At this point, I would be happy just to win back Europe's respect.

"After all, a team like Real Madrid have spent some €800 million or so, and haven't won the Champions League yet either."

Juventus are currently preparing for their last Serie A match of the season against Atalanta, before they lock horns with Napoli in the Coppa Italia final on May 20.
I agree. It wouldn't be realistic to say that we should expect to win Champions League next year. A semi-final should be our goal and if we reach that, anything can happen. :)

mukumsplau

Jul 9, 2008
maximum concentration in each of those 6 games in group stage and even more so in the knockouts...im sure conte will prepare them in the best possible ways he can.....just take your chances boys....just take your chances....

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Giacc could easily pass as Gigi's and Alena's kid
I don't remember the last time I've seen a Juve team bond so much. Zizou's era. Neddy's era. Gigi, Ale and Trez's era. We always knew of friendships, but I've never seen everybody so happy to be in each other's space. Not just because of this pic. But other pics too, before we won the scudetto.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I concur with what he said about the CL.

Yeh, we need to improve hardcore. We had a combination of a lot of factors that made us win this scudetto, but we also need to adress that our opponents were not at their best moment, for exmaple Milan was crippled with injuries all season. We will face super tough opponents in the next CL,,,,and to be sincere, we will need some good unity and will to win to compensate the lack of experience,,, because right now our team is full of young players eager to demonstrate but with lack of "big nights" experience.

Still, the comparison with madrid is funny, because even with that amount of money splashed, that just cannot secure a CL throphy, but definitely helps a lot. Just look how many times Chelsea has reached the final phases of the CL in the last 7 years or so....all thanks to abramovich and the absurd amount of money splashed.
But this Juventus team is not a superficial one made by splashing millions in random superstars and throwing an average coach in the mix, like these new money spitting lords are doing with teams around europe.

The good thing... is that we have right now something that cannot be bought with money, which is a united team, with composure on all lines, with work ethic and will to win. Also, we have a superb coach which is also something u dont find in every corner.
Now we need just to splash some money here and there,,,,and let the new signings merge with our current project and try our the next CL.

May 22, 2007
Buffon: 'Juventus butterfly'
Friday May 11 2012​

Gigi Buffon describes how he felt when giving away that Lecce goal and how Juventus “transformed from caterpillar to butterfly” for the Scudetto.

The title was thrown back into doubt in a 1-1 draw with 10-man Lecce when the goalkeeper’s howler handed Andrea Bertolacci an open goal.

“From the ground I could see Bertolacci running towards the goal and I said to myself… relax, it’s just a film, now something will happen. He might faint before he gets there,” Buffon told Tuttosport.

“It’s not a good sensation, even if with Antonio Conte and my teammates at the start of the season we had taken into account something horrible could happen.

“I remember the silence straight after that idiotic thing I did. It kills you. At that point you have to ask yourself: will they massacre me or hold me up by the shoulders?”

He and Juve recovered to celebrate the Scudetto six years after going into Serie B due to the Calciopoli scandal.

“It was worth it. In many moments over the past six years I reached some conclusions, working things over in my mind. Not always, but some certainties did waver. It can happen. But then I meditated on my successes. The fans helped me in many moments.

“We had realised from the start of the season that we’d be able to put together something extraordinary. Talking about it in August or September would’ve been madness… It was a victory of the squad, just as for Italy in the 2006 World Cup. During this journey we transformed from caterpillar to butterfly.”

There was also controversy, most notably with Milan’s complaints about the Sulley Ali Muntari shot that Buffon batted away after it had crossed the line.

“Unfortunately, in Italy winning and being applauded by your opponents is unlikely. It’s a concept that sits uneasily with most people here,”
sighed the goalkeeper.

“Objectively, I see no other solution for myself, at least as long as I remain an important player. When I am not crucial any more, it’s legitimate for me to take that into consideration. In any case, I am ready to sign a contract extension.

“Alessandro Del Piero won’t be here next year, but I am sure our rapport and his relationship with Juventus will continue. I advise him to stay relaxed and be proud: he’ll be number one for eternity.

“I want to be competitive and that must be our objective in the Champions League. Our last success in this tournament was 16 years ago and even the stellar Juventus I was part of could not repeat that. After all, Real Madrid have spent €800m and still can’t lift that trophy again.

“With two or three careful signings, our team can be solid and important. If we faced Barcelona? I don’t know how that would end, as it’d still be a game of football…”

http://www.football-italia.net/18712/buffon-juventus-butterfly

All I could think of was Pepe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 132)