Gianluigi Buffon (252 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Thursday 28 January, 2010
Blog: A goal for Buffon
Juventus shouldn’t consider retiring Gigi Buffon’s No 1 shirt when he hangs up his gloves. Antonio Labbate has another suggestion
I didn’t exactly have a dream. It was a thought in passing, more accurately an idea rather than a brainwave given that it is a consideration that I’m not even that sure about myself. It won’t revolutionise football either so don’t get your hopes up.

It involves Juventus. No, it has nothing to do with their current managerial situation, but their new stadium – one of the few things that President Jean-Claude Blanc has to be congratulated on – and their goalkeeper, Gianluigi Buffon.

The latter, who turns 32 today by the way, undoubtedly ranks as one of the outfit’s greatest goalkeepers, and players, alongside the equally legendary Dino Zoff. Their heroics in Bianconero over the years won’t be forgotten, but they should also be recognised and honoured by future generations.

So what’s the proposal? In short, the Old Lady of Italian football should consider naming each set of goalposts in their new arena in honour of Zoff and Buffon. Bare with me for a minute before you start with the abuse, let me make a few points.

Stands in stadiums have names. Juventus for example have the Curva Scirea, so why couldn’t they have a 'Porta Buffon’ and a 'Porta Zoff’ at either end which could become reference points for the new build?

It would also enhance the Juventinita of the ground given that the old Delle Alpi will be subject to the naming rights trend which is engulfing the world game. In a climate where money is so important, wouldn’t it be nice to bring back a bit of sentiment to the sport?

Of course people will argue that you can honour Buffon and Zoff by retiring the No 1 shirt, but it is a gesture which sits uncomfortably. Children grew up wanting to be the new Zoff and kids today are hoping to become Buffon’s heir. Let’s not rob them of their dream to wear that special jersey, but enhance their desire by offering them the chance to guard the goalmouth of their idols too.

Admittedly it might be a good idea to wait and see if Gigi actually ends his career in black and white before such an 'honour’ is bestowed upon him, but it’s a notion that is worth considering. Isn’t it?

:D

Happy bday killa!

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I think Gigi has gone thru all 5 stages of mourning. Denial, Anger, Depression... now he's at the Acceptance stage... I hope, or else he's gone, and I wouldn't blame him for a second tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 248)