Gianluigi Buffon (21 Viewers)

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
can't believe this man is retiring in summer 2018, he just had one of the best seasons I've witnessed of him (and they're all glorious), he's at the top of his game

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
well aren't you mad that the great Gigi is uno di noi :heart:

Na, you gon need more than that shit from 15 years ago to convince me that he's a fascist.

I mean he's probably quite patriotic tbf, but as long as they don't make a big deal out of it (looking at you Turan), I don't really care about political views of sport figures anyways.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Gigi the GOAT
by Susy C. @ FI

If there is someone out there who doesn’t admire and respect Gigi Buffon, both as a goalkeeper and a man, then Susy Campanale thinks they are deeply wrong.

You often see the term 'GOAT’ appear on social media now and, after realising it doesn’t refer to a bovid, it is regularly bandied about for those who in no conceivable way can be considered the Greatest Of All Time. That is a huge expanse of history to cover and only one coveted spot in their particular niche. There can only be one GOAT. Having said all that, in terms of goalkeepers, it’s Gianluigi Buffon.

You may disagree with this statement. Here is why you are wrong. Buffon has been at the top of the sport for well over 20 years, parrying shots from the brightest talents who weren’t even born when he was already at a World Cup. There are few more reactive shot-stoppers out there even now, let alone in his prime, and despite all the praise of Manuel Neuer’s sweeper-keeper antics, you may have noticed that SuperGigi is also excellent with the ball at his feet. He doesn’t run out to midfield every 10 minutes because there is no need to. That’s what defences and Leonardo Bonucci are for.

Above all else, Buffon has grown to become a true captain and great man who anyone in football should appreciate. His post-match comments are always respectful, humble and avoid the banal soundbites we have to deal with after every other game. He speaks in complete sentences and has a point to get across, not muttering just for the sake of it. When there’s a crisis, he is the man you want to rally the troops and get everyone focused. When his teammates risk getting ahead of themselves, Gigi’s old head will talk them back down to earth, because he’s seen and done it all.

As for the ridiculous 'scandals’ that people try to point to, they are non-existent. The idea he had far-right leanings were borne from misunderstandings and his own self-confessed ignorance. He didn’t know the motto 'Boia chi molla’ (Those who give up are killing the cause) was a Fascist-era slogan. He probably couldn’t have known, as back then he was a teenager and we didn’t have Wikipedia to look this stuff up. Dark times, people. Dark, dark times… He placed a few bets on games he wasn’t involved in, which at that time was not against the rules. Big deal. He even went through an entirely amicable divorce with no splashy headlines or kiss-and-tell stories. Buffon insults nobody, disrespects nobody and disowns Juventus fans for Superga graffiti.

No doubt someone will have now noted 'well he hasn’t lifted the Champions League or the Ballon d’Or, has he?’ The Ballon d’Or is like the Oscar for Best Director – rarely goes to the right person and is clearly voted for by those who have seen about three films that year, but know the big name, especially if he’s a striker.

It’s a team sport and only one side in all of Europe can win that trophy per year. Winning a World Cup is harder and he’s achieved that – for Italy, I might add, but being an Azzurri legend apparently doesn’t warrant respect from fans who can’t see past the Juventus shirt. Italian football gets criticised enough without us calcio supporters actively hoping another club loses in Europe.

It pains me to see people snipe at Buffon with images of Andriy Shevchenko’s 2003 Champions League-winning penalty. What tiny, pathetic creatures to do such a thing. What futile little trolls. I support Milan and screamed louder than anyone when that spot-kick went in, but I know football is about winning, not relishing the tears of your opponents. If you haven’t learned that yet, well, then grow up. Be more like Gianluigi Buffon. It can only be an improvement.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
In a way I'm glad we conceded. All this talk of hours of no goals against us was doing my head in. Least it happened in the semi and not in the final.

- - - Updated - - -

ĵџvє_вãвγ;5511586 said:
I want this on a canvas.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I think you are right on the grand scheme of things. The talk would have been about not conceding and going for some records and that would have been the big goal. We probably have to outscore Real in the final. You know they have players who score in the important moments.

I just hope it wont be some sick twist where Zidane brings Morata on extra time when Benzema gets a lucky injury (he usually doesnt sub Benzema) and Zidane is forced to act. Then Morata comes on, scores and doesnt celebrate again, Real wins the title. lol.

Thats one of the things about this Real, Morata has hardly played in CL, but Zidane has often brought players from bench to change the outcome of the game, not even superstars, i mean i dont consider guys like Asensio and Vazguez some starts yet. But they have often changed games for Zidane. Even if the ball then ends up on the foot of a Ronaldo or Ramos, these younger players have brought something else. And Morata will be very hungry for goals with the lack of playing time, especially in CL.

We dont really have much bench options.

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Gigi Buffon admits he wasn’t sure he’d get into another Champions League Final with Juventus, but “you have to keep believing in your dreams.”

This is the only major trophy he hasn’t won and Juve are going to Cardiff after beating Monaco 4-1 on aggregate.

“It was all damn difficult, regardless of the 2-0 first leg result. If we had come here tonight with arrogance, we’d have experienced some very difficult moments,” Buffon told Mediaset Premium.

“We still did, but when you’ve got the right mentality, you can overcome those obstacles with dedication.

“We are in the Final, and I won’t say that was our first objective, because now getting to the Final doesn’t count for anything.

“I am very happy, because I get here in good shape and there’s no denying if I wasn’t in a big club and with great teammates, I would never have come back into the Champions League Final.

“Two years ago everyone assumed it was my last Champions League Final, and I made that hypothesis too, but you have to keep believing in your dreams.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)