Gianluigi Buffon (17 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
He has definitely improved his penalty saves as he has got older.
He's never been that bad at it. Saved one against Korea in 2002, saved a very important one against Real in 2003 as well. But yeah, he does it much more often these days, that much is true.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
He's never been that bad at it. Saved one against Korea in 2002, saved a very important one against Real in 2003 as well. But yeah, he does it much more often these days, that much is true.
I remember Euro 2008 against Mutu as well. It was a double save he used his hand first then his leg I believe to keep it out.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Buffon: 'Juve need another gear'
By Football Italia staff

Gigi Buffon warned Juventus “have to do better and find another gear” after a hard-fought win over Napoli.

The Bianconeri secured the 2-1 result through Leonardo Bonucci and Gonzalo Higuain after a Jose Callejon temporary equaliser.

'Pipita’ Higuain didn’t celebrate the goal against his former teammates, but did he let loose in the locker room afterwards?

“Pipa is an extremely fair person, so he celebrated in sober fashion, as was only right. We won a difficult match, but naturally he was satisfied, as he couldn’t help but be satisfied,” Buffon told Sky Sport Italia.

“I know that I can count on the help of some great champions who often make me win games. Clearly this also gives you the confidence and positivity in difficult moments to believe you’ll take the result home.

“At times I had more of a feeling that Napoli would win rather than us, but as often happens, our individual champions make the difference.”

Having lost the head-to-head clashes with Inter and Milan this season, did Juventus have a different approach tonight?

“It was a match we won, that gives us great confidence, joy and morale against a direct competitor for the title, but we must improve in terms of performance and many other situations.

“The objective is to build a radiant future and one that lasts as long as possible, both in Italy and in Europe. Despite the fact results say we are top of the table in Serie A and the Champions League group, we need to realise the current level won’t be enough, so we need steps forward.

“If we go into the next round in Europe, it’ll be the hard stuff from March and we’ll have no more time to work on it then. We need to make those improvements now.

“Coming off five years of great success, we have many certainties. Signing Higuain made us feel even more confident and strong.

“However, at the end it’s all about where we want to end up. If our idea is to win the Scudetto, Coppa Italia and Super Cup, then this performance and spirit could well be enough.

“If we want to play on a par with Barcelona and Bayern Munich, then it is our duty to do better and find another gear.”
Buffon :heart:

Like he says... we're playing well enough to win everything in Italy again, but need to up our level for the CL and find another gear, and we have to start making those improvements now.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Buffon :heart:

Like he says... we're playing well enough to win everything in Italy again, but need to up our level for the CL and find another gear, and we have to start making those improvements now.
He nailed it. We need to improve if we are going to compete with the big boys. Serie A is a walk in the park.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
He nailed it. We need to improve if we are going to compete with the big boys. Serie A is a walk in the park.
He's exactly right, and it has been the same every single year under Allegri. We have been in poor form for the first couple months of the season (regardless of results). Last season was the worst...

The difference now is that we have more players who can win us a game. Our "individual champions" make the difference, as Buffon says. 'tis only that this isn't enough to win in the CL. We need those champions to perform cohesively as a team. I'm hoping Marchisio's return and his finding form in that most important central position will be the catalyst for making our team a cohesive unit again, just like last year.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
He's exactly right, and it has been the same every single year under Allegri. We have been in poor form for the first couple months of the season (regardless of results). Last season was the worst...

The difference now is that we have more players who can win us a game. Our "individual champions" make the difference, as Buffon says. 'tis only that this isn't enough to win in the CL. We need those champions to perform cohesively as a team. I'm hoping Marchisio's return and his finding form in that most important central position will be the catalyst for making our team a cohesive unit again, just like last year.
:tup:

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Official statement by the club denies that he said it that way: http://www.football-italia.net/93898/juventus-buffon-story-false

But what does "step aside" mean in that context? Serie A teams move out of the way vs Juve? I don't get that meaning.

Oh, seems like that he said that to his teammates and it should mean that Serie A teams are easier to beat.

article meant that Serie A clubs bend over when they play us.

They backtracked later saying it's about the other clubs coming here not really convinced to win because of Juve being too strong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)