Gerson - AM - Fluminense (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I wonder if he's a bad player or a mediocre one who just looks better because of the average standard of the Brazillian NT. on the whole though, I just hope we aren't making this move because Barca are wanting to do the same. That's like what we are doing to Meelan and Inter. Directing them all over the place with our 'so called targets' eg. Witsel :lol:

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
CrimsonianKing

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
  • Thread Starter #82
    IF he is as poor as some people say that he is, then does that mean that the Brazilian NT is simply awful, if this kid got 6 starts in Copa America?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.
    People are mixing things up. First, it's the u20 team not the main team. So the main team being bad has nothing to do with the other.

Two, like i told Badass it's impossible to tell whether he's good or not at that age. Even PedroFlu, who certainly is the one who watched him the most, saying he isn't good enough is not proof that he actually isn't good enough (or the other way around). The Brazilian league is shit and don't show a player's true talent unless they REALLY stand out, like Neymar did.

Coutinho was bought at 17 years of age and was really nothing to write home about. Actually my Vasco friends used to tell me how bad he seemed to be. While he's not a Zico second coming, he was good enough to make it to the team of the season.

We have no choice here but to trust our scouts who seem to believe he can turn into a good player.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    People are mixing things up. First, it's the u20 team not the main team. So the main team being bad has nothing to do with the other.

Two, like i told Badass it's impossible to tell whether he's good or not at that age. Even PedroFlu, who certainly is the one who watched him the most, saying he isn't good enough is not proof that he actually isn't good enough (or the other way around). The Brazilian league is shit and don't show a player's true talent unless they REALLY stand out, like Neymar did.

Coutinho was bought at 17 years of age and was really nothing to write home about. Actually my Vasco friends used to tell me how bad he seemed to be. While he's not a Zico second coming, he was good enough to make it to the team of the season.

We have no choice here but to trust our scouts who seem believe he can turn into a good player.

Oh. So he's not on the senior team then.

You can tell that someone here has not watched one single minute of Copa America :D

Thank you for the insight, bro.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    but at least pereyra has attributes that make him a player with some sort of scope albeit not ones that will necessarily world class such as his pace and directness when on the ball. Gerson is a completely different kettle of fish, he really is a player of very poor qualities. Seriously pereyra is more suited as an AM than gerson will ever be
    Perhaps. But was anyone watching Pereyra when he was 17/18 years old and at that time was he displaying attributes to be an AM?

- - - Updated - - -

[Mode] And I wonder how many scouts we have in SA? [FM Scout/Mode]

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/12991-Gerson-Santos-da-Silva/page11

Interesting read, they are probably as clueless as us on gerson and fretting the risk. Though it seems to be pretty clear that his no AM but rather a CM with attacking tendencies because let's face it, if you got a few skills and some badass confidence then Brazilian league makes you look like some ronaldinho.
    I shouldn't have looked at that forum. Jesus, look at this gem.

I re-watched the final twice since last Saturday.

While we were not at our best, we still created several excellent goal-scoring opportunities which we wasted. Alves, Pique, Suarez (2 or 3 excellent chances) Messi (twice) Neymar could all have put the game to bed long before it finally did happen. Juventus on the other hand, only had a few long-range efforts (of which only one was a really good one, with Tevez) outside their very nice goal.

We were head and shoulders the better team and deservedly won. The ref also allowed Juventus to stay in the contest by sparing them several yellow cards, and I do mean several. It is funny that the exact same thing happened in our previous two finals in which United were spared red cards (Ronaldo, Scholes could both have easily been red-carded in Rome, while Valencia did enough nasty fouls on Messi for at least 4 to 5 yellow cards at Wembley) Same thing has occurred in other CL games for us (Arsenal 2011, City last season, Real Madrid second leg in 2011)

It's as if the refs allow a certain handicap for our opponents in the CL most of the times, yet people only remember the calls that went for us. Sheer jealousy in my opinion.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
    I'm really lazy to repost what I've already said many times about Gerson so I'll sum it up.

Although it's still early, with only 6 months of professional football (he's still a starter on the team in the national league, but is about to be benched), hype started with Brazil U20s at the South American competition (he was NOT called up for the World Cup U20 - not even called up) team where he was a starter being only 17 yrs old. Honestly this tells more about the complete lack of talent in Brazil now.

His price tag is around 12-15M and he didn't show enough so far to justify this price tag for a 18yr old. His potential is unknown, certainly not a given that he has huge potential. This is far from certain.

Pros: good vision of the field; good passer; good shooter; strong enough to hold his own against grown men.

Cons: Fairly slow; lacks agility / acceleration; still very immature; very poor movement off the ball; very poor stamina (he barely touches the ball in 2nd halves); no one knows what his position yet (kind of tweener - too slow for a striker/winger; too much of poor movement to be an AM; can't defend to be a CM); can't really defend, mainly because of his lack of stamina.

There are just too many question marks about him. You don't pay 15M for a 18yr old with so many question marks on him and so far from maturing. This kid has a real chance to be a complete bust. You pay 15M for 18 yr old phenomena and he is DEFINITELY not of those.

IMO the chance he becomes very good is if he somehow acquires stamina (he has 6 months of professional football and he doesn't have the lungs of a professional player yet - it's questionable if he ever will) and learns to defend. He could be a poor man's Pogba one day. But that's pretty much it. As an AM he's too passive, like Ganso, and as a striker/winger, too slow.

But he indeed seems to be an intelligent player and with a different vision of the pitch, he has clarity. But that's pretty much it. Ganso also has it and he's a bust.

And I don't care if Barcelona are after him. They make stupid deals all the time. And yes Juventus is 100% after him, Paratici himself. He's done a great job so far but I have no reason to think he's infalible.

Dodge the bullet. Wait another year and his price will go down to 7-8M. Let Fluminense rip Barcelona off.

- - - Updated - - -

Is ok, I still love you. :dule:
    :)

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    Perhaps. But was anyone watching Pereyra when he was 17/18 years old and at that time was he displaying attributes to be an AM?

- - - Updated - - -

[Mode] And I wonder how many scouts we have in SA? [FM Scout/Mode]
    why does it matter how many scouts we have in SA who was the last player to been signed directly from south america and made any real impact?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I've watched young players in England live for 30-60 games who went on to do far better than I ever thought possible, so whilst I respect the opinion of people who have seen this lad play, at 18 years old their career can really go either way. If we really are looking at paying €12m+ for him then our scouts must like him a lot, but the chances of being a big flop also increases. On the other hand if he really does excel it's peanuts.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    I'm really lazy to repost what I've already said many times about Gerson so I'll sum it up.

Although it's still early, with only 6 months of professional football (he's still a starter on the team in the national league, but is about to be benched), hype started with Brazil U20s at the South American competition (he was NOT called up for the World Cup U20 - not even called up) team where he was a starter being only 17 yrs old. Honestly this tells more about the complete lack of talent in Brazil now.

His price tag is around 12-15M and he didn't show enough so far to justify this price tag for a 18yr old. His potential is unknown, certainly not a given that he has huge potential. This is far from certain.

Pros: good vision of the field; good passer; good shooter; strong enough to hold his own against grown men.

Cons: Fairly slow; lacks agility / acceleration; still very immature; very poor movement off the ball; very poor stamina (he barely touches the ball in 2nd halves); no one knows what his position yet (kind of tweener - too slow for a striker/winger; too much of poor movement to be an AM; can't defend to be a CM); can't really defend, mainly because of his lack of stamina.

There are just too many question marks about him. You don't pay 15M for a 18yr old with so many question marks on him and so far from maturing. This kid has a real chance to be a complete bust. You pay 15M for 18 yr old phenomena and he is DEFINITELY not of those.

IMO the chance he becomes very good is if he somehow acquires stamina (he has 6 months of professional football and he doesn't have the lungs of a professional player yet - it's questionable if he ever will) and learns to defend. He could be a poor man's Pogba one day. But that's pretty much it. As an AM he's too passive, like Ganso, and as a striker/winger, too slow.

But he indeed seems to be an intelligent player and with a different vision of the pitch, he has clarity. But that's pretty much it. Ganso also has it and he's a bust.

And I don't care if Barcelona are after him. They make stupid deals all the time. And yes Juventus is 100% after him, Paratici himself. He's done a great job so far but I have no reason to think he's infalible.

Dodge the bullet. Wait another year and his price will go down to 7-8M. Let Fluminense rip Barcelona off.

- - - Updated - - -

:)
    and yet there are those who think he is some sort of wonderkid all because Juve and barca scouts are watching whilst youtube videos make him look like someone who has incredible pace... extremely flattering and deceiving

- - - Updated - - -

Estigaribbia :touched::heart:

- - - Updated - - -

Can't spell but u know who I'm talking about!
    he was a cult hero nothing more, he was a terrible footballer

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)