General TV (67 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
How many have seen the pilot of Taboo yet? :weee:

I know @Dostoevsky must have :) Anyone who likes Hardy must try it. Quite intense, slow paced pilot but quite brooding and somewhat dark one.
I watched it last night and I really liked it. It was slow pace indeed but quite enjoybale. IMO it has potential to be amazing and I will defo keep on watching :tup:

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
How many have seen the pilot of Taboo yet? :weee:

I know @Dostoevsky must have :) Anyone who likes Hardy must try it. Quite intense, slow paced pilot but quite brooding and somewhat dark one.
Fantastic is what I have to say. So far great story, acting, atmosphere, everything really has been quite satisfying.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, Tom Hardy is always great no matter what he plays

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Fantastic is what I have to say. So far great story, acting, atmosphere, everything really has been quite satisfying.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, Tom Hardy is always great no matter what he plays
Though I am not as big a Tom Hardy fan as you and @Osman seem to be, he is a talented actor, and this role really suits him well.

By ze way, Nootka Sound, the piece of land he inherits, it's here, where I live. Nootka Island is a 500 sq. km. island off the west coast of Vancouver Island, boat or floatplane access only. There are still a couple small first nations villages on it... An amazing multi-day hiking trail across it. On the west side of Nootka there are some incredible surf breaks. Every late summer/early autumn for the last several years I've taken a float plane out there with some friends to land us on the beach with our surf and camping gear, and spent a week there surfing and camping on the beach. THere's a waterfall there for fresh water, draining into the beach, ancient-growth forest right behind you. I've seen humpback whales, orcas, bears there. Incredible place. So fucking rugged and wild.

Here's a shot of someone surfing the best break there in early Spring, that was on the cover of a Canadian surfing mag a few years back:

CrimsonianKing

U can't expect an Inexperienced team like Juventus
Jan 16, 2013
Though I am not as big a Tom Hardy fan as you and @Osman seem to be, he is a talented actor, and this role really suits him well.

By ze way, Nootka Sound, the piece of land he inherits, it's here, where I live. Nootka Island is a 500 sq. km. island off the west coast of Vancouver Island, boat or floatplane access only. There are still a couple small first nations villages on it... An amazing multi-day hiking trail across it. On the west side of Nootka there are some incredible surf breaks. Every late summer/early autumn for the last several years I've taken a float plane out there with some friends to land us on the beach with our surf and camping gear, and spent a week there surfing camping on the beach. THere's a waterfall there for fresh water, draining into the beach, ancient-growth forest right behind you. I've seen humpback whales, orcas, bears there. Incredible place. So fucking rugged and wild.

Here's a shot of someone surfing the best break there in early Spring, that was on the cover of a Canadian surfing mag a few years back:

Looks beautiful.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

By ze way, Nootka Sound, the piece of land he inherits, it's here, where I live. Nootka Island is a 500 sq. km. island off the west coast of Vancouver Island, boat or floatplane access only. There are still a couple small first nations villages on it... An amazing multi-day hiking trail across it. On the west side of Nootka there are some incredible surf breaks. Every late summer/early autumn for the last several years I've taken a float plane out there with some friends to land us on the beach with our surf and camping gear, and spent a week there surfing and camping on the beach. THere's a waterfall there for fresh water, draining into the beach, ancient-growth forest right behind you. I've seen humpback whales, orcas, bears there. Incredible place. So fucking rugged and wild.

How long is the drive from the shores to the slopes? They don't seem that far apart.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
That looks amazing PI, cant wait til we see some of it on the tv series, since its essentially gonna be the "main character" so to speak. Here's bit of history of the place and how the tv series uses it:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-07/taboo-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nootka-sound

When we are on the subject, I'm kinda weak for anything historical, so I tried 4 or so episodes of this series called Frontier, its quite bit more lower quality then likes of Taboo (and small production by discovery channel), but its about the North american fur trade in late 18th century, close to the setting of Taboo, starring Khal Drogo/Aquaman Jason Momoa lol

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
How long is the drive from the shores to the slopes? They don't seem that far apart.
They aren't too far as the crow flies.. Unfortunately (or fortunately dependent on perspective!), the interior and west side of the island are pretty undeveloped still... mostly logging roads in pretty rough shape and then long hikes into the wild mountains in the Parks.

There are only two ski hills on the island, and both are a good 2-3 hours from the nearest surf break. However, you could be down at the beach on the inside strait between the island and mainland BC in about 30-40 minutes from the one ski hill.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks amazing PI, cant wait til we see some of it on the tv series, since its essentially gonna be the "main character" so to speak. Here's bit of history of the place and how the tv series uses it:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-07/taboo-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nootka-sound

When we are on the subject, I'm kinda weak for anything historical, so I tried 4 or so episodes of this series called Frontier, its quite bit more lower quality then likes of Taboo (and small production by discovery channel), but its about the North american fur trade in late 18th century, close to the setting of Taboo, starring Khal Drogo/Aquaman Jason Momoa lol

:tup:

Thanks for the link. I only knew a little of that history of Nootka Sound. It's pretty crazy to think about how close Vancouver Island was to being American, with how the border between Canada and the US was settled here on the West Coast. Even crazier to think that a place like Nootka (in the middle of nowhere to this day) was such a point of interest. If you like this sort of history you should read up on some of the history and myth of the First Nations here in the Pacific Northwest. Fascinating cultures.

I haven't watched Frontier yet... What did you think of it aside from the middling production quality? Worth a watch? I've heard pretty mixed reviews.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 67)