General Religion & Philosophy Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
My extremely simplistic view on this is that all our choices and decisions are constrained by many external factors.
For example, you can't choose to believe in something, or choose to like or dislike someone, but this is the fundamental requirement of most if not all religions: the unconditional belief, worship and love of a diety or deities.
how about the folks who do going from raised religious to no religion? Happening in mass these days.

But i do agree with your opinion. If i could choose to believe in religion i think it would make my life simpler and add purpose. But I can't choose to believe in something i have never believed in.

I have often heard what to me is such a bizarre argument from religious folks wondering how i can not believe "isn't the world so depressing then".

I don't understand that argument. Wanting to believe is not a reason imo.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
how about the folks who do going from raised religious to no religion? Happening in mass these days.

But i do agree with your opinion. If i could choose to believe in religion i think it would make my life simpler and add purpose. But I can't choose to believe in something i have never believed in.

I have often heard what to me is such a bizarre argument from religious folks wondering how i can not believe "isn't the world so depressing then".

I don't understand that argument. Wanting to believe is not a reason imo.
I think it's mostly due to the internet and the spread of information: it has introduced people to other thoughts and ideas and has taken away the stigma of being an atheist or a non-religious person. Again, these are external factors over which an individual has no control over.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I think it's mostly due to the internet and the spread of information: it has introduced people to other thoughts and ideas and has taken away the stigma of being an atheist or a non-religious person. Again, these are external factors over which an individual has no control over.
It isn't that though because most of these completely unreligious folks are evolution of their parents wavering believe in faith and their parents were born decades before the internet.

I think it is marriage of of greater freedom to express doubt with an improvement in quality of life. When you no longer live accepting that 6 of your 12 kids die before they hit puberty (for no reason you can understand) there is a lot less need to rationalize that trauma as part of some grand plan. You can also express those doubts without being socially ostracized.

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
Everyone needs to live by some sort of rules and I'm someone who depends on rules set by God. When I'm struggling with my thoughts, if I'm in distress or need relief I find that in God's message. I believe that I can get an answer and even if the shit hits the fan hard, I can find peace. I'm no idiot, I've got a biochemistry degree and a PhD and while my career is all about evidence I believe with all my heart that God exists.

We can debate the complexities of religion but the connection to God is individual. People who don't believe in God will follow rules or a philosophy, that might be money or freedom or whatever but as long as they can get through their struggles they won't care. For myself, God can solve everything even in times of grief and sorrow I find peace.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Everyone needs to live by some sort of rules and I'm someone who depends on rules set by God. When I'm struggling with my thoughts, if I'm in distress or need relief I find that in God's message. I believe that I can get an answer and even if the shit hits the fan hard, I can find peace. I'm no idiot, I've got a biochemistry degree and a PhD and while my career is all about evidence I believe with all my heart that God exists.

We can debate the complexities of religion but the connection to God is individual. People who don't believe in God will follow rules or a philosophy, that might be money or freedom or whatever but as long as they can get through their struggles they won't care. For myself, God can solve everything even in times of grief and sorrow I find peace.
What does God mean to you?

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
That's kinda strange for a man of science.
Think of it from a mental health perspective, how do you come to terms with emotional struggles and coping when your mood is low? As a human, if you lose someone so dear to you you have to overcome grief you can't satisfy yourself without emotion. Science is facts, little emotion is required and it doesn't bring you peace. State of mind and happiness can't be quantified by science.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
there is no god. nobody is driving. existence is chaos

Think of it from a mental health perspective, how do you come to terms with emotional struggles and coping when your mood is low? As a human, if you lose someone so dear to you you have to overcome grief you can't satisfy yourself without emotion. Science is facts, little emotion is required and it doesn't bring you peace. State of mind and happiness can't be quantified by science.
of course state of mind and happiness can be explained by science. chemical reactions in your brain that are meant to motivate or reward you just like hunger or fatigue. excessive human intelligence and self awareness have just made it more complicated and we interpret these things we call emotions as something more then they are

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
actually it can be, it's all electrical signals sent to your brain. i could give you drugs and you'd stop giving a shit or overreact, etc etc. People just. have strong imaginations.

we know the basics of how the human brain works and it is hard to know exactly how humans will act but we are getting there. think of only a few decades ago, we had some bizarre treatments (exorcism, lobotomy, asylums, metrazol, etc). Now with more data and better tech we've come to realize those were pointless.

If Allahu brings you peace, that's fine, that's what you've been brought up to believe and it makes you feel better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)