General Religion & Philosophy Discussion Thread (14 Viewers)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
The Matrix is fiction, yes. It could be real, but there is no way to prove or disprove it.

Oh, the most important thing for me is happiness.

Happiness in general or what? Because happiness is a sideproduct of something, it is the stuff you get when you do something you like.

- - - Updated - - -

I could ask you the same thing. Anyone wants to tally up how many times "are guys you still discussing this?" has been said in this thread? So you're marginally less repetitive than we are.

- - - Updated - - -

For once you're right. I always wished I could be a real intellectual. But real intellectuals don't post on Juventuz for starters, they have debates with people who know what they're talking about.

Well I'm not saying don't talk at all, but when you read the same arguments from the same people against the same peoples counter arguments it can get a bit boring. Mix it up a little.

Oh and you can be intellectual here too, just pick people and topics accordingly :D

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Though I don't think happiness or tranquality you can get it just by wanting.

Those two things I think are incompatible with todays technocratic world, you will have to at one time or another try to go back to the opposite side of technology in order to achieve them.

The whole concept of technology always leaves you dry, you always have the next step, and as long as you have it you won't be really happy or tranquil, you will always look into the future this way, not to mention material things never bring you lasting happiness. As some chinise smart dude wrote - depressed you are when you live in past, anxious when you live in future, and tranquil when you live today.

If that is really the most important things in life my honest advice would be not to so focused on tech and science. Rather try to look for balance and use science and spirituality accordingly not one or other for every situation. You can't cook food with faith and you can't cure a broken heart with science.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

Those two things I think are incompatible with todays technocratic world, you will have to at one time or another try to go back to the opposite side of technology in order to achieve them.

The whole concept of technology always leaves you dry, you always have the next step, and as long as you have it you won't be really happy or tranquil, you will always look into the future this way, not to mention material things never bring you lasting happiness. As some chinise smart dude wrote - depressed you are when you live in past, anxious when you live in future, and tranquil when you live today.

If that is really the most important things in life my honest advice would be not to so focused on tech and science. Rather try to look for balance and use science and spirituality accordingly not one or other for every situation. You can't cook food with faith and you can't cure a broken heart with science.
Sorry, but what nonsense you just wrote there.

You can't be tranquil in a world full of technology? Why not? Maybe most people haven't figured out how yet, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Sorry, but what nonsense you just wrote there.

You can't be tranquil in a world full of technology? Why not? Maybe most people haven't figured out how yet, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
Because tranquility comes from within not from outside sources and for this to be possible you have to have a rock solid foundaition within, which isn't possible when your world is based on things that change constantly - theories, fashions and constant new gadgets and all that in my opinion is not the way to go if you want to achieve happiness and tranquility.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009

always nice to meet a prophet hail hail

i especially like the part where you know how others feel in the modern world or should i say how they can't feel/live/be/dance/go skeet shooting and so on

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Tranquility evolves as most things do.
You don't need faith or any other vodoo thing to check this, just ask people who have everything are they happy? People who search for smaller materials are they happy or will they be when they find it, and what happens when they do find it, won't it start the circle all over again?

Though it's interesting thing to say, can you elaborate?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Because tranquility comes from within not from outside sources and for this to be possible you have to have a rock solid foundaition within, which isn't possible when your world is based on things that change constantly - theories, fashions and constant new gadgets and all that in my opinion is not the way to go if you want to achieve happiness and tranquility.
Some things change constantly, like Android phones. But many things don't change much at all, like political theories. Or moral values. They are largely the same over the lifetime of a person.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
:sergio:

am an atheist, i live in one of the least religious countries in the world with consumerism growing out of our asses, yet my country is the happiest in the world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/06/world-happiness-report-2012_n_1408787.html

how do you explain that??

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

i especially like the part where you know how others feel in the modern world or should i say how they can't feel/live/be/dance/go skeet shooting and so on
Philosophers have ruminated on the topic of a heartless society in a technology-driven world for centuries. Kids may say technology is whatever happened since you were born, but you'd be foolish to believe that the social anxieties over technology were merely a modern problem. It goes back many generations.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

Oh man, I never told I KNOW how they feel. Show me one example where tech or material stuff brought a true lasting happiness and I'll show n times more people who have nothing, but are happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Enough about God. Does Satan live? I say yes.

:D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What happened to all those studies that said Africans were the happiest people on the planet?

Sounds to me like heavy subjectivity is at play here -- like when Places Rated Almanac, published in Pittsburgh, PA, used to rank Pittsburgh every year as the best city to live in the U.S. :andyandbarcelona:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)