General News & Politics (52 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I'll let you in on a little secret. The only reason the swine is Haram is because some religious scholar 1500 years ago said so in some Hadith. If you interpret the Koranic verses, it is actually never stated that pork is forbidden.
well, then Muslims are even dumber than we thought. Read the damn book ffs!

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Islam has little to do with the fact that Muslim countries are failing. It has everything to do with tribalism and Arab culture. The only downside of Islam in this context compared to other religions is that the later texts of Islam are much easier to politicize and use for political gains.

Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Iraq, Jordan are not real countries. They are a collection of minorities, sects, tribes, cities etc. grouped (or stuck) together by imaginary borders drawn by western countries after the ottoman collapsed post WW1. While the west did caused a lot of the issues that are now catching up to those places, and still support authoritarian regimes let's not pretend that if left to their own devices thing will be any better.

Arab culture is simply not compatible with the modern concept of a centralized state. The world in forcing a square block in a round pigeonhole. The only time Muslim countries were successful was when they had an Uma or a caliphate which is, in simple terms, a completely decentralized modal of a country.

Voice of reason, as always :tup:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
North Korea tested another missile and they have cancelled some flights out of West coast because of it. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

And in other flight news, some retard did this:

Seriously, they need to come up with some sort of deterrence measure for these freakish flyers. Every other day you hear about someone causing a ruckus on a flight. I say send them to trial and if convicted push them out the back of a C-5 without a parachute. This nonsense has to stop.

Last edited:

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
North Korea tested another missile and they have cancelled some flights out of West coast because of it. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

And in other flight news, some retard did this:

Seriously, they need to come up with some sort of deterrence measure for these freakish flyers. Every other day you hear about someone causing a ruckus on a flight. I say send them to trial and if convicted push them out the back of a C-5 without a parachute. This nonsense has to stop.
Don't they do that already?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Islam has little to do with the fact that Muslim countries are failing. It has everything to do with tribalism and Arab culture. The only downside of Islam in this context compared to other religions is that the later texts of Islam are much easier to politicize and use for political gains.

Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Iraq, Jordan are not real countries. They are a collection of minorities, sects, tribes, cities etc. grouped (or stuck) together by imaginary borders drawn by western countries after the ottoman collapsed post WW1. While the west did caused a lot of the issues that are now catching up to those places, and still support authoritarian regimes let's not pretend that if left to their own devices thing will be any better.

Arab culture is simply not compatible with the modern concept of a centralized state. The world in forcing a square block in a round pigeonhole. The only time Muslim countries were successful was when they had an Uma or a caliphate which is, in simple terms, a completely decentralized modal of a country.
:tup:

Jäger

May 2, 2021

But you cannot deny that islam has played a major role in influencing that sort of tribal, archaic mentality though. It is literally integrated into their laws, their way of life, and the way they view other people (women, gays e.t.c) This fundementalism is what's keeping their respective societies stuck in the dark ages, something that is not rlly the case anywhere else, as far as I'm aware.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
But you cannot deny that islam has played a major role in influencing that sort of tribal, archaic mentality though. It is literally integrated into their laws, their way of life, and the way they view other people (women, gays e.t.c) This fundementalism is what's keeping their respective societies stuck in the dark ages, something that is not rlly the case anywhere else, as far as I'm aware.

Arab culture preceded Islam.

I would argue the opposite, that Arab culture is what stopped Islam from going through a reformation akin to Christianity and Judaism (to a lesser extent). True that Islam compered to other religions is much more a pollical system in nature and therefore easier for rules to exploit in keeping civil progress/rights at bay. It's just easier to control people under the pretext of obeying God then do it by explicit force. It's just a perfect storm.

Again I'm not an advocate of Islam, I agree it's archaic and long, long overdue of modernizing. Maybe the current Shia-Sunny divide will end like the Christian reformation. from then onwards the Christian world became much more tolerant, internally and eventually to other religions.

To my point, force-forming of countries, especially post WW2, regardless of facts on the ground is what leads to this internal conflicts and collapses. The only remedies this countries have is to resort to totalitarian regimes to have any chance of keeping a façade of an independent country.

Look at African countries as evidence, same made up countries, same internal conflicts, same views on gay rights etc. Islam had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)