General News & Politics (21 Viewers)

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
What did he think would happen when he decided to go back though? It's like the most predictable thing ever.

I don't think Putin has a problem with locking him up and throwing away the key.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
he had two choices:
- ask for asylum. end of his political ambitions, goes down like a pussy.
- go home and straight to gulag, like a man.

kudos to him. he's a dead man either way, but at least he keeps his legacy alive.
I get your point but if you want to bring change, you need to have a whole bunch of people to back you.
He may look brave at this point in time but I doubt that a life sentence in Siberia would be a lot of fun.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
I get your point but if you want to bring change, you need to have a whole bunch of people to back you.
He may look brave at this point in time but I doubt that a life sentence in Siberia would be a lot of fun.
Yeah, just seems stupid to me tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s the difference between a patriot and a faketriot
So to be a patriot you have to return home to the regime you are fighting against and subject yourself to their injustice?

Last edited:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
That's why he will go down in history as a hero, instead of as your average video blogger lol

If you dont have the courage (or it doesnt make sense to you), at least dont shit on people that do.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
That's why he will go down in history as a hero, instead of as your average video blogger lol

If you dont have the courage (or it doesnt make sense to you), at least dont shit on people that do.
I don’t mean to disparage the guy. I don’t even know the intricacies of the situation. For sure he has more courage than I have. I wish him well.
But sitting half a world away and having read all sorts of horror stories of what happens to political prisoners there, I have my concerns. Does he have the mass backing of a Nelson Mandela?

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Lol exactly, narodniks all over again
I wouldn't know really - It's why I asked.

But I read foreign media/countries hype him up more so than his own people, and whilst he does have his followers, it isn't nearly as significant as you'd think if you follow the media coverage he gets here.

He's in for a surprise if he thinks pressure/sanctions from the likes of Germany ( :howler: ) will get him a fair trial...It's Putin/Russia, not some tiny banana repiblic...

He might not be able to do as much from outside of Russia, but surely could he do more than from inside a prison. At least it's how I see it.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

But I read foreign media/countries hype him up more so than his own people, and whilst he does have his followers, it isn't nearly as significant as you'd think if you follow the media coverage he gets here.

He's in for a surprise if he thinks pressure/sanctions from the likes of Germany ( :howler: ) will get him a fair trial...It's Putin/Russia, not some tiny banana repiblic...

He might not be able to do as much from outside of Russia, but surely could he do more than from inside a prison. At least it's how I see it.
And you are wise as always, pointless romanticist tragedy.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

Sooner or later the fridge will beat the televison and the regime will fall. It's inevitable really. Every cleptocratic dicatorship falls eventually anyway and Putin's seems closer to it than ever tbh.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, just seems stupid to me tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

So to be a patriot you have to return home to the regime you are fighting against and subject yourself to their injustice?
You don’t have to, but a willingness to put yourself into danger for your cause is always going to get more attention than talking shit from exile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)