General News & Politics (29 Viewers)

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Is it even legally possible?

Didn't the spain government already tell them to fuck off with that idea?
I don't get why aren't you supporting the idea of them having their own country? The right of self-determination. Who cares about Spain Government, I mean that's one of the reasons they want to split up, they don't want to have to do anything with Spain government, they can just feck off!

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Making pop corn and preparing for European hypocrisy in the coming days.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk
:tup:

I hope they secede. I also hope Texas and several other states secede, heck if Quebec wants to attempt to secede from Canada I'd say do it.

The western world is almost always in support of the secassion attempts of third world nation's or developing nations. From South Sudan to Somaliland to Taiwan

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I hope they secede. I also hope Texas and several other states secede, heck if Quebec wants to attempt to secede from Canada I'd say do it.

The western world is almost always in support of the secassion attempts of third world nation's or developing nations. From South Sudan to Somaliland to Taiwan

That is actually completely untrue. If anything the west is opposed to secession of Somaliland. And it's precisely because they don't want to set precedents.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
No one recognizes Somaliland, thankfully, they don't want to open up a potential Pandora box of secession attempts across the continent (African map is still strictly colonial lines besides Eritrea and South Sudan) , and more importantly they don't have financial incentive or strategic importance in supporting it. I mean Somaliland declared its independence 26 years ago, would happened already. All it takes is US or Russia seal of approval.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No one recognizes Somaliland, thankfully, they don't want to open up a potential Pandora box of secession attempts across the continent (African map is still strictly colonial lines besides Eritrea and South Sudan) , and more importantly they don't have financial incentive or strategic importance in supporting it. I mean Somaliland declared its independence 26 years ago, would happened already. All it takes is US or Russia seal of approval.

Exactly. Besides, states are recognized by other states. It's almost never in the best interest of a state to support secession somewhere else on the globe, because it might backfire domestically. Belgium, Spain and Italy all have secessionist movements. It would be crazy of them to support an independent Somaliland. And then of course, as you say, there's the issue of opening up all of Africa.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
Making pop corn and preparing for European hypocrisy in the coming days.
Such cultural appropriation

- - - Updated - - -

The bitterness is strong in this one.

And Taiwan? Lol..

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
He is already wrong in two of the 3, Somaliland as mentionned, and Taiwan lol indeed. Fvcked to limbo land since Jimmy Carter cozied up to the big brother China instead of them. No one even dares to entertain to recognize them, political and financial backlash in big way if you do.

And those who cut their ties with China by even partially recognizing Taiwan are those who can afford it, not western players or any significant states elsewhere , the reverse, very very small 3rd world countries who have no trade or treaties with China, around 2 dozen nations, and majority are small island nations you wouldn't be able to name lol. Aka their vote dont count.

Friends who work in airlines say the airline companies are even afraid to fly there in official banners in case they anger China.

P. S the 3rd example in South Sudan was a must per automatic recognize situation, decade of genocide leads to that (similar to Eritrea way back, Ethiopia was trying to annihilate them).

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Shit just went real, i know where Spain govt. stand is, since Barcelona is a great asset for them (tourist spot, etc).

But the way they handle it are such a mess, here ppl in my local tv, and instagram feed keep showing a granny/pops bleed.

My knowledge fails me, since we never had any proper spain/western history lesson.
But is Catalan & Basque the same? I thought Spain-Catalan relationship like is England - Wales/Ireland/Scotland?

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk
Basques are basically Aliens in contemporary Europe.

They are most likely the only people who survived the indo-european invasion. All other nations except for Hungarians, Fins and Estonians (who are Aliens, but from far north-east) and Turks are Indo-Europeans. Basques are the only real Europeans left in Europe.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Basques are basically Aliens in contemporary Europe.

They are most likely the only people who survived the indo-european invasion. All other nations except for Hungarians, Fins and Estonians (who are Aliens, but from far north-east) and Turks are Indo-Europeans. Basques are the only real Europeans left in Europe.
What’s a real European tho? If you go back far enough, all humans came from africa.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
What’s a real European tho? If you go back far enough, all humans came from africa.
Of course, I didn't mean it 100% seriously but Basques are really the most ancient people of this continent with no connection to any other nation. It's pretty fascinating when you get into it.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Cuck noise, you want something you fight for it.

Also how hypocritical of the spanish so called intellectuals to support separatists elsewhere but oppose catalans.
Watch this become really bloody and yhe EU leaders look the other way while they let Madrid do its thing.

Then I want someone to interview Javier Solana.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Cuck noise, you want something you fight for it.

Also how hypocritical of the spanish so called intellectuals to support separatists elsewhere but oppose catalans.
It might not be in the best interests of Catalans anyway, not now at least.

- EU membership would surely be revoked, at least for some years. Loss of free trade and high tariffs being imposed.
- Multinational businesses may up and move to Valencia or Zaragoza.
- The Catalans that want to take their skills elsewhere would still be able to anywhere in Spain, as the Spanish state would still recognise them as Spanish citizens.
- Financially it could be crippling for the citizens with taxation and loss of pensions. This would almost certainly stretch to regional banks.
- Already high unemployed (especially youth unemployment, in all of Spain) would be stretched further.

Even Artur Mas recognises that Catalunya would be worse off, but patriotism holds a lot of sway.

Obviously some of these points will also affect Spain in one way or another, it would be immediately damaging for both with questionable consequences. That's one thing. If we totally ignore that and just focus on a Braveheart school of thought then there is the following issue: It should be put to a legal referendum, but honestly it's not in the immediate interests of the Catalan government because firstly they'd have to debate and plan these and a multitude of other points. Then they'd have to actually get numbers on board to support independence. The 2014 consultation had a turnout of 37% with 80% pro-independence. That's just under 30% of the electorate, not good enough. Even with all this fervour and heavy handed approach from the Spanish forces the turnout for the recent vote was 42% with 90% pro-independence, which is just under 38% of the electorate. Look at the Scottish referendum, that had an 84.6% turnout, that is legitimacy. You'd believe Catalans were falling over themselves to leave as soon as possible, but that's not the case because not everyone votes based on emotion.

Basically the Catalan government:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)