General Gaming Thread (All Platforms) (32 Viewers)

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Yooo Zachy. What's a good and relatively cheap graphic card?
Don't know what prices are like over there, but R9 270/X or R7 265 depending on how much you can spend. I have R9 270X and it can pretty much run any game on max settings, though I'm not on 1080P which makes a difference I guess, would probably just have to turn AA down and a couple of other settings if I got a bigger monitor. Radeon cards are much better than Nvidia at that kind of price point imo. Though once you get above GTX 770 Nvidia is probably better for the most part.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
@Gerd @Osman @Zacheryah [MENTION]Raz[/MENTION]

There's a massive list with all the details about No Man's sky. What do you guys think?

http://www.gamepur.com/news/16074-p...y-massive-confirmed-feature-list-details.html
I'm really hoping it turns out well. A little structure in a game like this is good, don't know why they seem to be avoiding it. Like Skyrim, HUGE open world with some optional direction.

"Can be affiliated with different factions, however you’ll never have indications of this." This, for example, I'd rather have some sort of indication of relationship.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Don't know what prices are like over there, but R9 270/X or R7 265 depending on how much you can spend. I have R9 270X and it can pretty much run any game on max settings, though I'm not on 1080P which makes a difference I guess, would probably just have to turn AA down and a couple of other settings if I got a bigger monitor. Radeon cards are much better than Nvidia at that kind of price point imo. Though once you get above GTX 770 Nvidia is probably better for the most part.
How about 2x SLI 680GTX?

Im considering it. Wanna bet rockstar makes a mess of the optimalisation of the gta v port, causing it to need 2-3gb of vram alone :-D

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on about nvidea and prices tho.

If get a new rig its gonna be radeon based

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Why get 680? That's very old now, better to get 780 or 770. Or even something like R9 290X. I think V will be well optimised, they probably learned a lot from mess of GTA IV PC and also Max Payne 3, so I have a feeling it will be pretty well optimised.

I could run 270X Crossfire if I wanted (might need new PSU though I think) but I'd rather just upgrade to a better single card in the next series or two, depending if I even need it.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
How about 2x SLI 680GTX?

Im considering it. Wanna bet rockstar makes a mess of the optimalisation of the gta v port, causing it to need 2-3gb of vram alone :-D

- - - Updated - - -

Spot on about nvidea and prices tho.

If get a new rig its gonna be radeon based
Better question: How can you tell what graphics card is a good one? Like if I'm in a store, how would I know 872563YGE is better than 9837 IUSHG? :p

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Because it costs more, generally.

Also higher numbers mean better.

Like Nvidia have GTX series.. i.e. GTX Titan>780 ti>780>770>760>750 ti>750 etc..

Same for Radeon.. 295X2>290X>290>285>280X>280>270X etc...

Beyond that you can look at benchmark tests to see which is better in card vs card.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU14/809

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I have Nvidia GTX 750 and I can still play the new games. It's not the best out there but it is a pretty good card and I like it cause it's light and quiet.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Better question: How can you tell what graphics card is a good one? Like if I'm in a store, how would I know 872563YGE is better than 9837 IUSHG? :p
There are alot of factors. The easyest way to get an idea is to check a benchmark between a high end card and a lower end card.

This is a comparison between my card, and a very high end card

http://www.hwcompare.com/14159/geforce-gtx-460-vs-geforce-gtx-780/

GDDR5, At very least 1gb of ram, preferably 2+, bandwith, texel rate and pixel rate is where its at.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
So basically those are the 4 things that should be compared?
The best comparison is just the framerate it can deliver at the most taxing games compared to other cards.

The 4 things i mentionned, are the biggest factors there.

often you'll come across cards with "lots of memory, high clockspeed", but not gddr5, it can become a bit confusing

Its about using alot of memory as fast as possible, and getting as much texture and pixels on the screen as possible

Therefore high memory, high memory bandwith, high texel and pixel rate.

Thing is, these are numbers in the millions. So its best to see it relative and compare the improvement between cards, or easyest, the resulting framerate.

And finally, when you can chose, go Radeon. Nvidea is equally fast, but lots more expensive.
The number of games that run better on Nvidea isnt that big. At least where the performance difference is worthwile

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and one more thing. Take in accound the resolution the screen of the benchmark.

I for example got a tiny 19inch screen. barely 1440x900 resolution. But i challenge anyone to bring a game wich was made before 2014 that i cant play on full open graphics with shadows and reflections turned off.

just sayn.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Replaying Overlord.

Such a sweet game that was. Same humor as dungeon keeper.

Miss that tbh.

Also, Death rising doesnt support SLI apparently so cant run full open on any given pc on 1080p.

Watching the comparison, the difference with the xbox one graphics is gigantic. ""Next gen"" :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)