FRIENDLY: Holland - France (1 Viewer)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Very interesting POV Ian

I don't like the penalty shootout either, it undermines the beauty of the game, and reduces it to "hey, if you can kick this ball past me, that means your team is better".

They might aswell play scissors, paper, rock.

I was about to mention the MLS system too. At least that requires more skill and goes a great distance towards taking the lottery feeling out of the shootout. As much as I fear all things American when it comes to changing anything about football, it's quite exciting

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #122
    It's been done in the Dutch FAcup, that American system. But only for one season then they stopped. Not sure why... :undecide:

Sep 28, 2002
    i think we should attack italian football authorities with request to give juve the third star in their logo. we deserve it. even better, it shouldnt be a star, it should be a pink ribbon.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++
    wasnt this tried at bira moretti tournament? aaah, mickey mouse trophies, there's nothing like em... :touched:
    Robbie Keane's debut for Inter, IIRC. :) He was fouled for his first one, and then screwed up the second.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    :LOL: What happens if they get fouled during one? Do they win a penalty? :howler:
    No, he had to retake. Come to think of it, winning a penalty would have been a fairer punishment.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Graham ] ++
    Very interesting POV Ian

I don't like the penalty shootout either, it undermines the beauty of the game, and reduces it to "hey, if you can kick this ball past me, that means your team is better".

They might aswell play scissors, paper, rock.

I was about to mention the MLS system too. At least that requires more skill and goes a great distance towards taking the lottery feeling out of the shootout. As much as I fear all things American when it comes to changing anything about football, it's quite exciting
    I like the MLS shootout, but I doubt the Europeans would ever adopt anything American...Really, I'd like to see a sudden death over-time until somebody scores. Give the teams two more substitutes and play 30 minute periods until somebody scores. IMO, that's the way a game should be decided, and why couldn't they do that for cup finals?

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Even though I don't support the penalties, I wouldn't add any more time to 90 + 30 minutes. I think it would be physically very difficult.

Also, remember people literally sleeping at the CL Final at Old Trafford last May? :)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
    Give the teams two more substitutes and play 30 minute periods until somebody scores. IMO, that's the way a game should be decided, and why couldn't they do that for cup finals?
    One word: Television.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)