FRIENDLY: Holland - France (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
The Irish beat the Czechs.. :dazed:
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Oh my god :dazed: Good thing they're not going to Portugal, I have the WC qualification round still fresh in memory :scared:
:D Don't be so shocked. You of all people should know that we can beat anyone Erik. And the Czechs were missing Rosicky.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
One of the most technical & tactical matches I've ever watched. Weird seeing Zenden as left back! Switched to Italy - Portugal after the first half though.

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #110
    ++ [ originally posted by Ali ] ++
    One of the most technical & tactical matches I've ever watched. Weird seeing Zenden as left back! Switched to Italy - Portugal after the first half though.
    You did? Damn man! The 20 minutes after the break were the best part of the match BY FAR! :cool:

Make sure you watch a replay or something!

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
    Wesley Sneyder my ****ing hell! I'm going to ask him if I can be his bodyguard so I can make sure he doesn't get hurt before Euro2004 :D

Terrific play! And might I add we may have actually found the ideal defence - and without Stam! :eek:

Superb match from both ends, especially the first twenty minutes after the break were quite exciting!

This I can be proud of, I have no problem saying that :touched::cool:
    Suzanne has dropped to the floor amazed and unconscious by Eriks comments......hahahaha

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    You know Erik.. I didn't realize how good you guys are at losing on penalties. I only remember a couple of times in recent history but as I was reading up on Euro 92 & 96 it occured to me that rarely do you not lose on pens.

One might it would be a priority to fix that weakness.. ;)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Don't forget WC98 and EU2000 too ;)

Then again, their opposition in the respective shootouts were no mugs.

Taffarel :touched:

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    but penatlies is only luck. I'm sure the players know how to shoot well. It's either they have no luck at all, or they just aren't in focus at the shootouts (like us in the CL final... no concentration at all)

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #117
    It's nothing to do with luck. We just can't do it. From the Eredivisie down to amateur saturday football we cannot score penalties, its just not in our nature.

Maybe its because we hardly take anything seriously EVER. Unless it involves water of course.

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    the holland-france was a boring match, as it were all other friendly matches..

why friendly matches always have to be kinda boring :down:

JuveCampione

Sep 21, 2002
    It's nothing to do with luck. We just can't do it. From the Eredivisie down to amateur saturday football we cannot score penalties, its just not in our nature.
    no it's mostly luck.. but I bet Holland will win one penalties shootout in Euro 2004... I have a hunch.

Jul 12, 2002

Maybe its because we hardly take anything seriously EVER. Unless it involves water of course.
    It has to do with the Dutch distain of set pieces. The values of Dutch football exclude set pieces (and penalties) as things that require skill. To me, (and I believe Dutch footballers in general), scoring from the run of play, through good passing and good finishing is a much more exciting and rewarding way to score than to knock a standing ball into the net while everyone just stands there. Set pieces and penalties are anathema to what the rest of football is.

Personally, I hate the penalty shoot-out. I think that it is an unjust way to decide a game, much less an entire tournament. To use a simile, a penalty shot-out would be like deciding a baseball game by having the players throw the ball through a tire, or deciding a rugby match by drop-kicks. The game of football is so much different from the game of penalty shoot-outs.

BTW, does anybody remember when the MLS first stated, they didn't have ties, they just did a special shoot-out where the player started at midfield, and the keeper and the goal line and they went head to head? I thought that was very exciting and much better than a PK shoot-out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)