FRIENDLY: Holland - France (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Erik ] ++
Probably a call on experience though I'm having trouble figuring it out myself as well. Admittedly, he has played some solid matches this season for his club. Maybe Mexes is slightly injured or something? :undecide:
Maybe... I wouldn't know for sure, but my guess is that the French coach doesn't hold Mexes in the highest of esteems.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
point stu.

i think nows a good time for the dutch to experiment. honestly now i dont care who wins because either way its not gonna show what the team can really do since so many players are out. i just wanna see them play well

OP
Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #63
    In a friendly. Unlikely. It's hard to motivate a Dutchman for something as 'unimportant' as a friendly match. Though France is an appealing opponent so you never know I guess.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Maybe... I wouldn't know for sure, but my guess is that the French coach doesn't hold Mexes in the highest of esteems.
    yea....true dat. but mexes is injured, rite?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    A question though: wth is Desailly doing in the France squad!?!? To be fair to him I haven't seen alot of Chelsea games as of late, but the last time I saw Marcel was when he got sent off against Arsenal in the CL.
    Desailly has a class that makes him a formidable defender even though he' quite old. He really adds more to a defense than his own talents - he's a great leader from the back. He's been keeping Gallas out of the Chelsea team - that's almost enough in itself.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #66
    Holland's definite line-up:

Van der Sar
    Melchiot - Heitinga - Cocu - Zenden
    Van der Meyde - Van Bommel - Davids - Overmars
    Makaay - Van der Vaart

:lazy: Why oh why does Advocaat always try to put up a 'safe and defensively solid' line-up when its obvious that we cannot defend? And Van Bommel - Davids? That's a disastrous combo! These two never functioned well together! Van der Meyde and Overmars aren't even starters for their clubs!

At least Reiziger isn't playing :howler:

The French:

Fabien Barthez
    Thuram - Desailly - Sagnol - Lizarazu
    Makelele - Govou - Dacourt - Micoud
    Trezeguet - Govou

Defeat is upon us! The positive aspect to that being that we might finally be recognised as underdogs at Euro2004.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #68
    It's hardly experimental. This resembles (apart from the front two and Heitinga) very closely the side that got defeated in the WC qualification round.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    41' Edging towards half time in a rather tedious match...France missing the sublime fluidity that Zidane gives to their game.

38' Dacourt in the centre circle..FINDS LIZARAZU STORMING THROUGH ON THE LEFT!! CAN GET IN A SHOT!! BUT DRAGS IT WIDE!!

35' Dutch corner on the left...Overmars with it...BARTHEZ GETS THERE THROUGH A RUCK OF PLAYERS!! But injures himself in the progress...he'll need treatment on a side injury.

32' Micoud to deliver the ball...IN IT COMES!!! THE BALL FLIES OFF COCU AND JUST OVER THE BAR!! But the referee gives a goal kick.

31' Ball in for Dacourt...WHO TOUCHES IT ON TO GOVOU!! FIERCE SHOT!! VAN DER SAR WITH A GOOD SAVE!!

30' Overmars trying to outpace Sagnol...but some of that lightning acceleration has gone from the right-winger...and the Bayern Munich defender comes away with the ball.

28' Jacques Santini motionless on the French bench...his team have hardly been inspiring so far tonight.

27' Barthez just doing a little tidying up - removing a huge paper streamer from the pitch...showing that he's a modern man - doesn't mind a bit of housework.

24' Dutch free-kick..ANGLED IN FROM THIRTY METRES!! HEITINGA GETS THERE!! Can't direct his header on goal!!

21' Ball comes to Overmars on the edge of the box...ON THE HALF VOLLEY!! HITS IT INTO THE GROUND!! BOUNCES UP FOR VAN DER VAART!! BUT HIS HEADER IS NOT POWERFUL ENOUGH TO BEAT BARTHEZ WHO SAVES COMFORTABLY!!!

18' Giuly this time trying to outsprint his Dutch marker....but Dick Advocaat's team keeping things very tight at the back and France's attacking talents have no room to shine.

15' Dacourt not too happy about being dumped on the floor by a rather physical challenge...he likes to dish it out but is none too happy when he gets a taste of his own medicine

12' Govou trying to use his pace to unsettle the Dutch defence, but Heitinga is equally nippy and holds up the Lyon forward.

9' Dacourt barges into van der Vaart on the left..free-kick....OVERMARS SWINGS ONE IN DEEP!! But overhit and Barthez watches that go out of play for a goal-kick.

7' Holland bossing possession in the opening minutes...

5' No Thierry Henry up front tonight - at least not for now - Santini trying the Trezeguet - Govou partnership.

3' A Mexican wave going round the stadium already!! The crowd need something to entertain them in light of the quiet opening!

1' Underway in the De Kuip!

18:23 RECORD FOR SANTINI: France are go into tonight's game on the back of 14 games unbeaten - avoid defeat in the De Kuip and it'll be a record. Jacques Santini: "Apart from the statistic, I'd like us to continue our form, in the way we play and in the results. It's important to maintain both of those in this game."

17:49 INJURY-HIT GAME: Holland coach Dick Advocaat is missing Stam and Frank de Boer, while Wilfried Bouma and Ruud van Nistelrooy face late fitness tests. Jacques Santini is without several key players, including Arsenal duo Patrick Vieira and Robert Pires, as well as Steve Marlet and Zinedine Zidane.

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #74
    3' A Mexican wave going round the stadium already!! The crowd need something to entertain them in light of the quiet opening!
    Rotterdam... :D

The match is a typical friendly btw :(

OP
    Slagathor

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
  • Thread Starter #76
    SUB:

Van Bommel -> OUT
    Sneyder <- IN

Sneyder+Van der Vaart! That's what I was waiting for! :drool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)