Football Manager 5 (merge) (87 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Two consecutive 1-0 defeats on the road (against Parma and Chelsea). Bounced back to thrash Chievo 6-0. DP and Juninho are back from injury and the squad has returned to winning ways since.

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003

I met Chelsea in the 2nd round of the CL league. I lost hope of winning after seeing thier team, including players like:

Totti
Ronaldinho
Rocisky
Lapmard
Mutu
Drogba
Robben

Surprisingly, i won the first leg at home 2-0, both goals by Gilardino. The 2nd leg chelsea were raping me from all sides. eventually, they scored one goal. Minutes later Terry was sent off. Eventhough they were a man down, they were still attacking all the time and got another goal. At that point i though my team was jinxed, and that i would lose whatever happens. But i won on penalties at the end (thanks to the 3 saves made by Frey). I'll face Ajax in the quarters (much easier task than chelsea).

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #724
    I had the chance to sign both Cassano and Gilardino completely for free, but I decided to pass up on the opportunity. I already have 4 fantastic forwards in Reyes, Tevez, Zlatan and Torres, and a great backup in Nonda, it wasnt worth disrupting the balance. I dont intent to drop any of my current forwards, so there was no place for them i my team.

Surprisingly, noone has signed them yet, they are both without a club.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Cassano is a headache actually, he is really a problem child and the game creators have done a good job with his behavior. Gilardino on the other hand is fantastic. I had them both in my game that I killed. I started last night a new one and I am planning to get Gilardino as soon as possible....of course Trezeguet is to be sold because he brings lots of money.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #726
    TBH, from what I've seen Gilardino isnt all that good. he scored like 11 goals for Parma inlike 40 matches, while for me Torres scored like 31 in 27 starts and 5 sub appearances, I can only imagine how many he would have scored had I played him in every match.

There is simply no room for him, I rotate my 4 strikers, and this season 3 out of the 4 (the fourth being Delgado until January, and Reyes from January 1st, but he was cup tied for the CL) scored more than 20 goals, Tevez 25, Zlatan 22, and Torres 31, like I already said. Also, my 5th striker, Nonda scored 13 goals, so there really is no room for Gilardino without disrupting the team balance and my rotation system, and I'm simply not preapared to do that. I expect my first 4 strikers to score at least 20 goals each in the new season, and Nonda at least 5.

P.S. Olivera is great, he scores only 3 goals during the entire season, and then he goes and scores two goals in 3 miutes in the CL Final :D

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    TBH, from what I've seen Gilardino isnt all that good. he scored like 11 goals for Parma inlike 40 matches, while for me Torres scored like 31 in 27 starts and 5 sub appearances, I can only imagine how many he would have scored had I played him in every match.
    This is not a criteria to say he is not that good. If you want to prove your theory let Torres or any of YOUR strikers play for Parma and then say how much they scored. Your team as a whole is better than Parma's which produces more and makes your strikers score.....

Sep 28, 2002
    naturally. i dont i had a season in which more than 2 players scored 20+ goals, yet i break scoring recors all the time. this season i think i might reach 150 seria a goals

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

This is not a criteria to say he is not that good. If you want to prove your theory let Torres or any of YOUR strikers play for Parma and then say how much they scored. Your team as a whole is better than Parma's which produces more and makes your strikers score.....
    Exactly. Gila wasn't good at all the first year with Parma, but after i build a stronger squad, he's been really good. Claudio Lopez is on fire for me, eventhough he's 32 at the moment in the game.

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #734
    ++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

I do know that, but he's got an average rating of 6.94, whil Pazzini for example is Serie top scorer, and he plays in Atalanta. I'm just not willing to take a risk on Gila when I have absolutely no need for him.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    I was wondering about Gilardino as well because he's on my shortlist as I'm planning to sell Trez at the end of this season, but his average rating is something like 6.71 and he hasn't scored a lot of goals. This surprised me somewhat because I coached the Italian NT for a while and Gilardino was excellent for me. I played him in tandem with Del Piero and the two couldn't stop scoring. I was planning on reuniting them but Gila's performances with Parma haven't been good.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    The DP-Trez partnership is flourishing for me atm. 31 goals between them so far (16 for DP, 15 for Trez) and I'm only in December.

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    The DP-Trez partnership is flourishing for me atm. 31 goals between them so far (16 for DP, 15 for Trez) and I'm only in December.

So good to be in real life:down:

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003

Just finished my 3rd season with Parma. I won the League for the 2nd time in a row and the Champions League. Gilardino finished the season with 30 goals, top scorer in Seria A.

I'm gonna have to get rid of Crespo, Lopez, and Nihat, in order to make my for my summer arrivals in shape of Miccoli, Torres, Berbatov, and Pazzini. :cool:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Del Piero won European Player of the Year and Striker of the Year while Buffon collected the Goalkeeper of the Year award.

Cannavaro is out for the rest of the season and then some (7 months) so I need a new centre back. Fortunately, I'm in January right now, but I dunno who to get. I only have 6m to spend. Asked the board for some more transfer funds but they said no. Any good CBs available for 6m? I'm trying to get Andrea Barzagli who's having a great season with Palermo. Any other suggestions?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Just sold Chimenti to Brescia because I was going to lose him for free if I didn't. Bonnefoi has been called up to the senior squad.

Morgan De Sanctis and Shabani Nonda are joining on frees at the end of the season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 85)