Finally, Moggi Ponders move for Van Bommel (3 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Geof ] ++

can't wait for the next Belgium-Holland though. we won the last one remember??
You usually win those matches.

++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

He would add the neccesary passing range to the team, certainly. However I'm not sure if Capello will be happy with his defensive capabilities.

Dominic, can Van Bommel play in front of the defense in a Pirlo-type role? The PSV matches I have seen this season have featured Van Bommel playing on the right, usually concentrating more on attacking than defending.

But this would be great news if we indeed sign him.
Contrary to what mark is saying, yes he can do all that Andy. The great thing about Van Bommel is how he can cover all parts of the game. He is not a creative Pirlo style player though, he is much more direct. On the other hand he has more grit and better ball-winning skills. Van Bommel used to be his team's ball-winner but due to his 'completeness' he is now the attacking midfield engine of PSV AND the Netherlands. He'd certainly complement Emerson well in the central of the midfield.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I always saw him play with Cocu and Vogel behind or next to him. I never saw defensive abilities from him yet(tackle...). I'm sure you saw him more than me Dominic so I believe you. Would be great if he was faster a bit though.

I don't see him coming here with the players we have right now and will most probably get(Giannichedda, Mozart...)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Dominic ] ++

Contrary to what mark is saying, yes he can do all that Andy. The great thing about Van Bommel is how he can cover all parts of the game. He is not a creative Pirlo style player though, he is much more direct. On the other hand he has more grit and better ball-winning skills. Van Bommel used to be his team's ball-winner but due to his 'completeness' he is now the attacking midfield engine of PSV AND the Netherlands. He'd certainly complement Emerson well in the central of the midfield.
Yeah thought so, and it makes sense with PSV's glut of defensive midfielders such as Vogel, Lucius, and Cocu that Van Bommel would take a more forward role. He certainly has more skill than the former two.

And if he does have decent ball winning skills he should be a great partner for Emerson in midfield. It's obvious he has the ball skills to help the team greatly and if he can do some dirty work in midfield, he'd fit in. Capello seems to like these players who can do it all in midfield.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
I guess so, this week for sure. PSV will be out, Barca are out so I don't see what could delay the announcement. ;)

anyway, I think Barca will sell Xavi to Chelsea and MVB will take his place at Barca.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by mark77 ] ++
I guess so, this week for sure. PSV will be out, Barca are out so I don't see what could delay the announcement. ;)

anyway, I think Barca will sell Xavi to Chelsea and MVB will take his place at Barca.
I don't think Barca is that dumb. Xavi is perhaps their most important player.

Thus far Vam Bommel has looked very good in midfield tonight, and he won a couple 50/50 balls against Gattuso of all people. He looks very solid.

One incentive to choose Juve over the rest of the lot is perhaps a guarentee that he will see a lot of first team football, which he might not with Barca and certainly will not if he chooses Milan.

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
Van Bommel didn't impress me that much tonight, but he showed that he would be a great partner for Emo. The long pass to the wing came always very good by Van Bommel, and thats what we lack: A guy, who can make the long pass on the wing. A good pas, something, Blasí or Appiah lack........

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I have seen Mozart play five times now and he has not set a foot wrong yet. If Blasi and Appiah are Juve material, Mozart surely can be on this squad. From what I have seen of Mozart he will add the passing range we lack in midfield.

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
i would say 3 years and he is at his peak. At his peak we need him on par with how Emerson is playing now, because he will be in his early 30's then. Can he be that good?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Screw Van Bommel:

-----------Buffon
Zamb--Thur--Cann--Lee
----------Emerson
-Camo-------------Nedved
------------Park
-----Mutu----Zlatan

It'd cost about 8m :D

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
Screw Van Bommel:

-----------Buffon
Zamb--Thur--Cann--Lee
----------Emerson
-Camo-------------Nedved
------------Park
-----Mutu----Zlatan

It'd cost about 8m :D
JC was cool today. ****ing great dribbling on the wing from one of them, think it was lee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)