Final | Portugal - Greece (18 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Congrats to the Greeks. While I was pulling for Portugal since the start of this tournament, they went out there and proved it throughout the tournament -- defeating every quality opponent that can be thrown at them. Well done, indeed.

I figured before this match that the result was going to come down to a battle of set-pieces. It played out exactly as I expected, though I was 50/50 on who would have the edge.

And as for everyone who says, "This Euro SUCKED" ... let's just say you're living in the past. Deal with it: the face of European football is changing, and the stars and teams of yesteryear cannot cut it anymore to credibly hold on to those claims of superiority.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Congrats to the Greeks. While I was pulling for Portugal since the start of this tournament, they went out there and proved it throughout the tournament -- defeating every quality opponent that can be thrown at them. Well done, indeed.

I figured before this match that the result was going to come down to a battle of set-pieces. It played out exactly as I expected, though I was 50/50 on who would have the edge.

And as for everyone who says, "This Euro SUCKED" ... let's just say you're living in the past. Deal with it: the face of European football is changing, and the stars and teams of yesteryear cannot cut it anymore to credibly hold on to those claims of superiority.
With u in every word..

This tournament was very interesting... and because all my teams when out of the championship , it doesnt mean tjis euro sucked ;)

wel.. congrats to the greeks... they proved me wrong once after another and in the end they are the worthy champions.

It is still uneliavable how this greek team was able to minimize to nothing the strong adversities they faced along the way to the Cup.

Definitely is something to be proud of and to admire.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Firstly congratulations to the Greece, and I could only imagine how happy their fans would be!:). I think their victory was a product of hard and clever work, and will changed the approach to the game, on managment in particular. Nonetheless, I also think that part of Greece's success was due to big major countries failing to show up for second successive tournament rather than Grecee raising the bar of the play.

I thought the key to Final was not so much on actual tactics as important it is, but more on mental aspects, especially regarding how Greek's could control their nerve. There was a chance in my opinion that lack of big time experience for the club matches for Greek players meant that the pressures of the occasion were more likely get into their head than the Portuguese. But kudos to Greece, as they looked stable, and comfortable from the kick-off whistle. Playingwise, Dellas was rock in defence, and their full-backs were superb both offensively and defensively. Greece was quick to double up on the sides when they were on a break, and Portuguese style of play meant that both Miguel and Valente were exposed on numerous occasions. While I do not know the name the bold no. 8 for the Greece was also tremedous as he was quick to close down Portuguese playmakers, and one occasion he came back to prevent Maniche taking free shot from just outside penalty box. While I am not too impressed to Christaes, he made sure that he got goals on few chances that he got in the tournament. Karagounis proved he might be a servicable midfielder for Inter and that his presence might be missed tonight, his teammates did well to make sure that he was not missed. Nonetheless, the key to the Greece success, which I am sure that everybody he is well aware of, is the way the keep their shape, and determination to win every inch, every second, and every ball. While Greece's mythology was based on Gods, Goddesses, and heroes, there were nothing mystifying about their success: It was totally within the realm of human ability, but ones that we find hard to appreciate. If there is a lesson in this year's championship hard work, teamwork, good preparation, and of course like all tournaments a bit of luck can go long way. In this regard, I think Greek's success resemble that of South Korea in the last WC. Is this start of new trend? I doubt it. What does it mean? Variance between the quality of teams have been reduced dramatically. This more level playing in my opinion is due to 1) Hard work by lesser countries assisted by more mobility in coaching, development programme by FIFA, improvements in telecommunications giving access to higher quality of soccer played in other parts of the world, and desire to improve on the part of smaller nations.
2) Poor attitudes by the so called "big stars" of big nations. Italia, in my opinion, is prime example of this.
3) Heavy schedule imposed on the players playing in big leagues and CL.
4) Luck
Lets not forget Greece could have should have knocked out in the opening stage of the tournament when they were fortunate to grab a equalizer against the Spaniards and couple of incredible Russian miss from being eliminated. However, the luck has more part to play in the past precisely because they are not loosing 2-3 goals as in the past. As a result, I think big name players and big nations have to show a lot more willingness to work as a team and effort than they did in this tournament. Essentially they have to raise their game, or at least play at a level that they are capable of. I am saying this because while I believe Greece in the end did deserve to win the tournament, they were assited by the lack of high quality soccer by Italians, French, and Germans, and they by no means played top quality football. Czech and Portugal for me and possibly England are nations that performed to their ability, and at times these nations displayed higher level of play than the Greeks. Portugal, in particular, has not only won games, but entertained us with crisp passing, and attacking football, which invovled a lot of interchange between wingers, overlaps by the full-backs (Miguel has a potential to become one heck of full-back, even if he is a bit raw), and stupendous Maniche.:cool:. Czech provided one of the best that I have ever seen against the Dutch, and displayed ruthless efficiency against the Germans and Denmark, neither of game they played particular well. Loosing Pavel Nedved definetely changed the face of game in the Semi-Finals.
Italia and France have been biggest disappointment in the sense that these nations are capable of playing best football out there, and they failed to do so, and showed incredible amount of arrogance in some matches. Italia, for example, acted as if they beat Denmark any time they wanted but they just couldnt bothered to do so. While I think they were unlucky to get knocked out, especially considering the way they absoluetely tortued the Swedes with some exillirating display of football, they paid the price for lackluster display against the Danes. France on the other hand must be cursing Jacques Santini: we all thought he was a dub for taking Wiltord, Barthez, Desailly, and he proved to be one. Nonetheless, lack of workrate, and desire shown by Henry and Trezeguet to name few was astounding, and likes of Lizarazu it seems does not belong in an international stage anymore. Nonetheless, the fact is that we know they are capable of playing better football than they did against the English, Croatians, Swiss and Greeks. In general, I dont think the level of play was higher than the last tournament when Dutch, French, and Italians displayed some wonderful skills. Take away England vs Portugal, Holland vs Czech Rep. Italia vs Sweden, Holland vs Portugal and England vs France, the quality of matches werent that great. And yet again following the tradition of last World Cup there were questions about the standard of refereeing espeically regarding home biases. I think these are genuine mistakes, and some of decisions involve interpretations so there is no fine line between right or wrong. However, this tournament has given birth to many potential top stars as Cassano, Rooney, Robben and Baros came of age. I have my doubts with many of them, because of uncertainties invovled with their young careers, but they can turn out to become next generation of stars. I am sure that in the next tournament big nations will not be so arrogant and slack in their preparation due to past experiences. Hence I do not think there will be another Greek fantasy for years to come, but lets enjoy every moment while we can. Because these are rare and precious moments.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Make that the face of world football. Countries like Greece, South Korea and the USA can no longer be overlooked.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Ha ha ha... just as I predicted. Great victory. Difficult to realize that the only team Greece lost to was Russia! :D

I've made $650 on correctly predicting 7 out of 32 exact scores of all the EURO games.

BigIzz

Jul 12, 2002
Congrats to Greece...if they can win Euro, surely the United States can win the World Cup. Greece simply wanted it more then any other teams and from day one they were the best squad in Portugal. Hard to believe.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
Yep... we've gotten to a point when football becomes really competative. I think it's better to have 10- 15 teams on the same level, rather than 2-3 favorites which win everything all the time.

Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
amazing how Italy get slaughtered for playing like this, yet the Greeks are made into footballing gods for copying :undecide:
Because people love to hate Italy, especially after playing that way for years.

Congratulations to Greece, very surprised they made it this far let alone win the competition.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
I can only say I did not enjoy this European Championship. And let's be honest, the way Greece plays football is just horrible. Whenever Italy plays catenaccio like that everyone is complaining. So for the love of God, don't you dare be happy about the fact a small nation like Greece is in the final.
italy should learn from them

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

I dont get it.

Italy should learn from them? to...what? To play catenaccio, like grecce did all the eurocup?....italians invented it.....but everyone throws shit to Italy if they use it....instead, in the greeks play it, is brilliant strategy....

sounds good.

reneu

Jul 2, 2004
oh my god, I still can't believe, what I have seen yesterday evening. Im so happy for greece and all their people!

Hellas!!! :)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Eaglesnake_1 ] ++

I dont get it.

Italy should learn from them? to...what? To play catenaccio, like grecce did all the eurocup?....italians invented it.....but everyone throws shit to Italy if they use it....instead, in the greeks play it, is brilliant strategy....

sounds good.
What Italia has to learn is that hard work from individual, and good team work to name a few are necessary ingredient to win major honours. Gatusso sulking, Fiore moaning, Totti spitting and having Trap as a coach are not going to take you anywhere.

Italia needed to appoint a coach with authority IMO, and they made a right choice in Lippi. He is one of few coaches out there who will command respect from bunch of primma donnas Italia has right now. Both Rehhagel and Hiddink were able to turn bunch of no-hopers into world beaters, not just because they are tactically acute (There are many other coaches who are very good with those) but also they commanded respect from their players who were willing to trust their coach. Although I am sure as a player I wouldnt like to trust Trap, the way Italia made a public row over team selection and merit was just not on.

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

they LEARNT from Italy style of play......Defend and Counter.....

We used that tactic in Euro 00 under Dino Zoff:down:....that brought Italy all the way to the final......:cheesy:

I wonder why Trapt didn't used that classic style of play....:(

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

First of all, if you're gonna play defence, this is how it's done.

Secondly, you gotta go to your strengths. And Italy play defence and still lose, argue that they have the quality to play offensively and succeed (Euro2000), Greece doesn't. Rehhagel did his homework pretty damn well, he couldn't have won playing any other way. Whereas Italy has options..
I didn't see Italy attack in Euro2000 and they defended way better than the Greek did now.

Btw, I'm extremely glad Portugal lost because they should have played Rui Costa from the start. Did you guys see how well he played when he entered the pitch? In half an hour he proved to be the best Portuguese player.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Make that the face of world. Countries like Greece, South Korea and the USA can no longer be overlooked.
And that's a good thing? Sorry, but I don't like the fact we now have a European champion that perhaps won't even qualify for the World Championship and that will get slaughtered all the time. Furthermore a final like Italy-France is nice, a final like Portugal-Greece isn't.

So you guys seriously want to see Azerbaijan-Belarus as World Cup final? Hmm..I'd go for a traditional Italy-Brazil, but..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)