Final | Portugal - Greece (1 Viewer)

OP
kurvengeflüster

kurvengeflüster

********* a.D.
Jan 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #82
    50 years after the wonder of Bern - we have the miracle of Lisbon :)

Congratulation Greece and respect to Otto Rehagel (btw...don't you want to coach in your home country? we need successful people :D )

Thanks Portugal for holding such an event!!

ps: mercy for Jimmy Jump :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Art^ ] ++
    LOOOOOL! a barca fan entered the field
    And he threw a Barca-flag on Figo. Unbelievable how strong hate can be. And all that for some transfer.

THIS...EURO...SUCKED. But hey, that'll teach Scolari not to select Rui Costa for his starting line-up. I think Rui Costa was by far the best Portuguese player tonight.

I'm going to support Azerbaijan for the World Cup now. Away with Italy, away with France, away with Argentina, away with Brazil...away with all those nice nations..

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Btw how dumb was that streaker getting all twisted in the net? Not the sharpest knife in the drawer that one..
    Yeah it looked like he hurt himself.

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    Greece is simply the best team in the tournament and there is no denying... they simply OUTWITTED all of their opponents ... being their opponents include the host Portugal , France, Spain and the Czech Republic , that says a lot... compare to the other 15 teams in the tournament , they succeed the most in capaitalising their strength and covering up their weakness... all their games just fall right into their plans and gameplay.... u just knew they would win the game if the game still 0-0 by half time... what a coach to make this achivement... Rehagel now joins Hidiidnk in my group of extraordinary international coaches...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Well there it is, Greece are the new European Champions! And it's all thanks to coach Otto Rehhagel. A better performance of the German style has not been seen in quite a well. Rock solid at the back as well as dangerous up front with the very few chances they afford themselves. It hasn't been the greatest tournament, seeing as how many of the favorites disappointed greatly but this team deserved to win, no question about it. I was quite annoyed at how the Czechs couldn't make it work in the semi final but the Greek team redeem itself in my eyes and proved tonight that they are in every sense worthy.

Rehhagel is a brilliant coach and adopting the defensive style has brought Greece right up to the top. As they say "offence wins games, defence wins championships". A sly combination of the two paradigms has seen King Otto accomplish what Hector Cuper has tried and failed so many times. He might as well retire now, because anything following this would be a step down for him.

Hail to the king!

And swag.. I changed my mind about watching the game cause I was bored. And I don't regret it, it was worth it. Still sour grapes because all my teams crashed but it was a good final. :)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    amazing how Italy get slaughtered for playing like this, yet the Greeks are made into footballing gods for copying :undecide:
    Because the Greeks dont have anywhere nearly the same individual quality that Italy ha, and they have no choice but to defend. When you have great defenders, and mediocre attackers, you aint gonna go on all out attack. They are respected because they are the underdogs, because they have proven that everything is possible even when the odds are against you and they have given people hope in their lives that they can make it even when being the underdogs and in an inferior position.

Everyone loves surprises, thats what makes it interesting.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Something else that comes to mind... Mourinho, Descamps, Rehhagel, Bruckner. Once again it's the coach who is the difference between success and failure. Had France, Italy, Holland etc been coached by brilliant individuals like the above mentioned men, they would have battled it out in the semi finals and one of them would have won.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    Scolari accuses defenders

Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari blamed his defence for the goal which condemned the hosts to a 1-0 defeat by Greece in the Euro 2004 final.
    "It hurts," admitted the 55-year-old Brazilian. "However they were the better team and one piece of sloppy defending cost us.

"We ask forgiveness from all the Portuguese because we weren't able to achieve the goal that we all wanted.

"It's hard to lose this way - to play a game this way, without scoring goals."

Scolari had grudging praise for Greece, who he said only won because of the defensive method of playing devised by German coach Otto Rehhagel .

"They won defensively. They won because they knew how to play in that way," Scolari said.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
    amazing how Italy get slaughtered for playing like this, yet the Greeks are made into footballing gods for copying :undecide:
    First of all, if you're gonna play defence, this is how it's done.

Secondly, you gotta go to your strengths. And Italy play defence and still lose, people argue that they have the quality to play offensively and succeed (Euro2000), Greece doesn't. Rehhagel did his homework pretty damn well, he couldn't have won playing any other way. Whereas Italy has options..

aressandro10

Jul 30, 2003
    I dun understand why people thrash this tournament just becoz the bigger teams underperformed....:confused:...it a balance thing... if u think the fall of the faverents is a letdown, then the rise of the underdogs should be an uplift...

my dissapointment in this tournament though is the high number of draws.. especially in the playoffs... and the pace of the game is very dependant to the heat....the players should have get used to the heat wayy earlier...

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    Greeks hail 'sensation'

Greece coach Otto Rehhagel said his side's 1-0 defeat of Portugal in the Euro 2004 final was a sensation that made football history.
    "It was an unusual achievement for Greek football and especially for European football.

"We took advantage of our chances. The opponent was technically better than us but we took advantage of our chances. We should have made it 2-0.

"The Greeks have made football history. It's a sensation."

Jubilant matchwinner Angelos Charisteas added: "We're the champions of Europe. We're the best team in Europe and we deserved it.

"It's very significant. I'm very happy and very moved. I call on all Greeks to rejoice and celebrate.

"This is a unique moment, which many of us may never experience again.

"We came up against a very strong Portugal side but won - it's the best moment of my career."

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
    btw, i watched deco tonight, and after he was linked with us, im glad he gone to barcelona. every time he got the ball (tonight) he lost it.
    figo wasn't in his best form either.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    Btw Deco should stop diving all the time, it's getting him nowhere.

Merk had him marked as a "simulator artist extraordinaire" from minute one.
    It was embarrassing at times watching him fall all over the 18 yard box.

'been doing it for years now :down:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)