Final | Portugal - Greece (8 Viewers)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by AndriesGobert ] ++
And Greece didn't show anything. My god, they played horrible!!!
They didn't achieve something great as everyone is saying here. They just screwed football, agreed. I saw a team that didn't do anything during the tournament and still won. Now let's not encourage this or we're going to get another fifty horrible championships.
They won the EURO. Id' hardly call that nothing.

Besides, they showed more than 90% of othe teams, most specifiacally Italy.

Just because your team lost doesnt mean you have to discredit the winners.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

What injury have you got?

I fvcked up my ankle ligaments, couldnt play for 6 months. I could have continued afterwards but I never got along with the coach so I never did. BEsides, it's not like I would have turned pro or anything, I was too inconsistant.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying. It's the same thing like with Porto: many people said that Real deserved it more, that Arsenal would have won if they had just scored that one chance, that Team X would have won had Player X not been injured. But none of that is important. What is important is that Porto made it to the finals and that they won.
Okay, here's an example: what if Scholes' goal had stood? That's different from saying "What if Nedved played in the CL final against Milan?", because the fact is that if the goal had counted (which it definitely should have), Porto would have been knocked out and they wouldn't be considered the best team in Europe.
Let me ask you this Gray: What are the European Championships? A tournament to determine the best football team in Europe, right? Well, if you win those European Championship, having qualified for it as first in your group, ahead of Spain, after having beaten Portugal twice, played a draw with Spain, knocked out France and the Czech Republic, after having won the Final, does that not prove they are the best team in Europe?
Are you saying that for the next 4 years, Korea should be considered the 4th best team in the world, and that faced against England, Holland, Czech Republic, they should be considered favourites simply because they had a better showing at the last World Cup? That France and Argentina should be considered worse teams than Senegal and Turkey? Surely you can't have so much faith in the structure of a tournament and the 'fairness' of the outcome of matches that you blindly agree with whatever rankings a tournament churns out.

I think you're a bit too quick to dismiss the possibility of say, the Czech Republic taking one of their many chances. You're right, it didn't happen, but you can't guarantee that if the Czechs and the Greeks were to play against each other at any time in the next 4 years, that Greece should be considered favourites. You can't guarantee that the Czechs are going to be so unlucky in front of goal.

Basically what I'm saying is that you can't attribute horrible finishing and poor marking solely to the quality of the opposing team.
What more do you want, for it to be written in the Bible?
Grow up.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
Greece won:D. Big ups to Dellas and theboyz. I enjoyed the style of play and how they shut down overrated players like C.Ronaldo, Deco and tackled them for fun. Just how Henry struggled like hell thats why he aint no Sheva. THE CLOSEST STRIKER TO VAN BASTEN:D. Im a striker but I love great defenders who play like champions. When I play I like a duel where the defender I go against is of high qualilty. Many top stars got exposed against defences who could handle them with ease although Nedveds boys were very unlucky but Baros got done by the Speedy Seterwhateverthehellhisfullnameis. If Italy Played the final vs Greece it wouldve been a great match. Italy struggle against fast paced teams, Greece vs Italy wouldve been like a small Serie A side vs a Juve or Milan.ez Well done to the greeks. And that Barca fan :D

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Basically, what I'm saying, altho I know that Greece will lose a lot of their games and thet other teams will be considered favourites, by me as well, people need to show some appriciation for the Greeks. What they did was incredible, and people should be admireing them inseat of trying to discredit and downplay their succes.

And the Bible thing wasnt aimed at you so you grow up :(

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
You seriously believe what you just said? :D
Those Greek are going to get slaughtered on numerous occasions. They really aren't a good team.
That's an expectation- we don't know how Greece will play in the future. And why Greece isn't a good team? Just because you don't like them?

And we always use those "what ifs" to decide which team deserved to win. Well, STAY OBJECTIVE, and admit that in this case the Greek simply did not deserve to win. The only team that deserved to win the trophy were the Czech. I don't know why everyone is defending the Greek. They play disgusting football, practically never create a nice attack and suddenly everyone is supporting them? HUH?
Greece did not deserve to win? But why? Because they beat everybody? The team which never got to the penalty shootouts in the playoffs?

And why did the Czech deserve the EURO more than Greece? Just because they won all four games?

I am personally defending Greece because they don't deserve statements like "not a good team" or "did not deserve the cup". And football they play is in no way disguisting. To me it was a very intelligent game, maybe not as entertaining... but winning is what matters, nothing else.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I fvcked up my ankle ligaments, couldnt play for 6 months. I could have continued afterwards but I never got along with the coach so I never did. BEsides, it's not like I would have turned pro or anything, I was too inconsistant.
A friend of mine had the same injury. When he was recovering I accidentally touched his ankle in class, he just started crying. Must be painful. Yeah..football, but I'm going to make money out of it soon. Nothing much, something like 100 euros a week. That is, if I reach the senior team, but I should be able to do that in the next 2 years.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I LIKE GREECE. But they're not a strong team. And everyone who fails to realise that should't call himself a football fan. I'm not bitter because my team, Italy, lost. Italy has nothing to do with Greece. Fact remains Greece isn't a strong team. Whether Italy is or not hasn't got anything to do with that.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
I LIKE GREECE. But they're not a strong team. And everyone who fails to realise that should't call himself a football fan. I'm not bitter because my team, Italy, lost. Italy has nothing to do with Greece. Fact remains Greece isn't a strong team. Whether Italy is or not hasn't got anything to do with that.
I would only change "not a strong team" to "not THE strongest team", which of course, some may argue, is a subjective approach.

Weak (not strong as you say it) teams do not make it to the EURO. Weak teams don't win six games in a raw in a qualifyers without conceeding a single goal! (including Spain, N Ireland, and Ukraine.)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Basically, what I'm saying, altho I know that Greece will lose a lot of their games and thet other teams will be considered favourites, by me as well, people need to show some appriciation for the Greeks. What they did was incredible, and people should be admireing them inseat of trying to discredit and downplay their succes.
You should've made yourself clearer in the first place :D
And the Bible thing wasnt aimed at you so you grow up :(
Oh I'm sorry, I thought quoting someone's post meant that you were adderssing them

:)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Pendir_E65 ] ++

I would only change "not a strong team" to "not THE strongest team", which of course, some may argue, is a subjective approach.

Weak (not strong as you say it) teams do not make it to the EURO. Weak teams don't win six in a raw in a qualifyers without conceeding a single goal! (including Spain, N Ireland, and Ukraine.)
*cough* Latvia made it to the Euro.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Latvia weren't that bad, they played well against the Czechs and should have had 3 penalties against Germany. They were actually quite strong, especially when they shocked Turkey to qualify

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)