FIFA officials arrested (6 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
'Bribes for 2010 World Cup’
By Football Italia staff

US attorney general Loretta Lynch has outlined the charges against various FIFA members, including bribes to award the 2010 World Cup to South Africa.

Six officials from football’s governing body were arrested in Zurich today, having been indicted on charges of fraud, racketeering and money laundering.

The US Justice department released a statement before Lynch’s Press conference, declaring that the selection of South Africa for the 2010 World Cup was influenced by bribery, as was the 2011 FIFA election.

“Among the alleged schemes include the payment and receipt of bribes and kickbacks in connection with the sponsorship of CBF [the Brazilian FA] by a major U.S. sportswear company [Nike], the selection of the host country for the 2010 World Cup [South Africa], and the 2011 FIFA presidential election,” the statement declared.

The U.S. attorney general then adressed the media.

“Year after year football officials sought bribes from sports marketing firms,” Lynch announced at a Press conference to outline the charges.

“These people held responsibilities in every level of the game... instead they corrupted their priorities for their own gain. These include high-ranking officials at FIFA.

“The 47-count indictment includes charges of racketeering, wire fraud and conspiracy over two decades.”

Lynch also declared that $110m [€101m] worth of bribes were related to next year’s centennial Copa America alone.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh I'm not saying they should just leave it be. I'm just saying that regarding football fraud nothing will change. It's not like 'yes, finally, justice!'.
I know they're Americans and like a good show, but the FBI isn't going to spectacularly arrest FIFA executives in Switzerland if they have nothing. This will change a lot.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I know they're Americans and like a good show, but the FBI isn't going to spectacularly arrest FIFA executives in Switzerland if they have nothing. This will change a lot.
My point is that the ones who are going to replaced them are going to be just the same corrupted fucks.

- - - Updated - - -

I for one hope that they all end up in prison for a lifetime.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
My point is that the ones who are going to replaced them are going to be just the same corrupted fucks.
I don't know about that. Wasn't FIFA's legal status changed in Switzerland fairly recently? I thought they had to anyway.. FIFA is so big that it holds a lot of power over countries. There are quite a few of these countries who find that unacceptable, especially when so much corruption is involved. I predict a lot will be done to diminish FIFA's influence or at least make it a more transparent organisation.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Oh I'm not saying they should just leave it be. I'm just saying that regarding football fraud nothing will change. It's not like 'yes, finally, justice!'.
It doesn't mean instant improvement for sure, yeah.

But I do believe that the situation could be much better, with much less corruption if there is enough will by civil authorities and some powerful national associations.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Pretty remarkable Lynch is hinting at Nike's involvement.. I mean, I'm sure they're in it too, if you're that big you almost have to be. But it's one of the biggest American brands.

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
Why were the Americans investigating FIFA?
For a criminal offence on American soil or involving American citizens I would imagine.
Apparently money was transferred through US banks. Also US networks pay billions for World Cup tv rights.

US citizens have been indicited. Jeoffrey Webb lives in Atlanta, Davidson in Miami and CONCACAF is based in Miami.

I heard something about FBI having jurisdiction whenever something illegal is paid in US dollars, but I am not entirely sure about that. Maybe someone here knows?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Apparently money was transferred through US banks. Also US networks pay billions for World Cup tv rights.

US citizens have been indicited. Jeoffrey Webb lives in Atlanta, Davidson in Miami and CONCACAF is based in Miami.

I heard something about FBI having jurisdiction whenever something illegal is paid in US dollars, but I am not entirely sure about that. Maybe someone here knows?

Their jurisdiction relies on American federal law. The extradition is based on a treaty with Switzerland however.

- - - Updated - - -

Surely a new president cannot be elected under these circumstances?

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Maradona: 'I told you about FIFA!'
By Football Italia staff

Diego Armando Maradona felt vindicated by the FIFA corruption arrests. “People said I was crazy!”

The ex-Napoli hero has been blasting FIFA and President Sepp Blatter for years and was not surprised this morning to see seven high-ranking officials arrested as part of an FBI investigation.

“People said I was crazy!” he told Radio La Red in Argentina. “Today the FBI revealed the truth.

“FIFA has reserves of $1.5bn and there are players who earn no more than $150. Those liars were caught by surprise,” continued Maradona.

“Today there is no football, there is no transparency. Just lie to people and put on a show to re-elect Blatter.

“Now we’ll see if he gets re-elected after everything that happened. Where was Blatter when all this was going on?

"The Americans did an impeccable job and now people have to explain what’s been happening.

“The good will remain and I will take care of the bad personally. The money they earn ought to be used to build a training camp for African children.”

Maradona is no fan of UEFA either and slammed Michel Platini too.

“We want a man of football to be in charge. They came and tried to convince me with money, but I earn my money by working, not taking people for a ride.

“Platini? He is French, so if the wind blows left, he goes left. If the wind blows right, he goes right.”

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Maradona: 'I told you about FIFA!'
By Football Italia staff

Diego Armando Maradona felt vindicated by the FIFA corruption arrests. “People said I was crazy!”

The ex-Napoli hero has been blasting FIFA and President Sepp Blatter for years and was not surprised this morning to see seven high-ranking officials arrested as part of an FBI investigation.

“People said I was crazy!” he told Radio La Red in Argentina. “Today the FBI revealed the truth.

“FIFA has reserves of $1.5bn and there are players who earn no more than $150. Those liars were caught by surprise,” continued Maradona.

“Today there is no football, there is no transparency. Just lie to people and put on a show to re-elect Blatter.

“Now we’ll see if he gets re-elected after everything that happened. Where was Blatter when all this was going on?

"The Americans did an impeccable job and now people have to explain what’s been happening.

“The good will remain and I will take care of the bad personally. The money they earn ought to be used to build a training camp for African children.”

Maradona is no fan of UEFA either and slammed Michel Platini too.

“We want a man of football to be in charge. They came and tried to convince me with money, but I earn my money by working, not taking people for a ride.

“Platini? He is French, so if the wind blows left, he goes left. If the wind blows right, he goes right.”
:touched:

I know how you feel mane :touched:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)